Renting a room from a DVC member...

Momonthego4all

Earning My Ears
My friend gave me the number of someone who rents out her time at one of the VC resorts. We booked the trip through her. She has advised that she will receive confirmation through disney and forward it to us, however we cannot call and confirm the reservation. I'm feeling a little bit nervous about this.

Any knowledge if this is the case? How else can I confirm?

Thanks.

You will get better advice on the DVC boards on this site, since that is their arena. But having done this before myself, it does involve a bit of trust. The member has to make the reservation, and only the member can call concerning the reservation. It's the price you pay for saving $$.

Member services will only speak with the DVC member, not anyone else.

Therefore, the owner will make the reservation and then forward the confirmation to the person renting the reservation. Any requests, such as the dining plan or Magical Express, must be made by the owner.

Because some have multiple requests, or perhaps the owner is one that remains hands on through out the entire transaction, some charge a bit more per point than others. Considering the fact that you're getting a great deal renting vs. paying cash for the same accomodations, most people are willing to give up a certain amount of control.

It takes a few days for Member services to send the confirmation (just like when you make a ressie with CRO...you get the paperwork in a few days). I'm sure your friend will get the confirmation shortly. If it doesn't come soon, just email the owner and ask about it.

This thread will really get the best results on the DVC Mousecellaneous board and as such I'm moving it there. :)

Thanks,

Knox

My friend gave me the number of someone who rents out her time at one of the VC resorts. We booked the trip through her. She has advised that she will receive confirmation through disney and forward it to us, however we cannot call and confirm the reservation. I'm feeling a little bit nervous about this.

Thanks.

As others have said, you must trust the DVC member. The written confirmation sometimes takes up to two weeks to get to the DVC member, and you must conduct all transactions (such as adding dining plan, etc.) through the DVC member.

I would also add that hopefully you have a written contract for your rental that protects both parties. For example, what happens if you have to cancel, etc.

Renting DVC points can save money, but it takes trust on both sides.

We did this before purchasing our DVC. The guy we rented from did not require a deposit until after we received the confirmation with our name on it from Disney. We probably would not have even tried it otherwise. Just too scary for us!

Thanks.

You might want to check out the DVC Point Rental Primer thread. It has a ton of good information for renting newbies. :)

The member has full control over the reservation until the moment you check in. You can call the resort directly a few days before your stay starts to confirm. But, sorry, you cannot call Member Services.

We did this before purchasing our DVC. The guy we rented from did not require a deposit until after we received the confirmation with our name on it from Disney. We probably would not have even tried it otherwise. Just too scary for us!

This is the part that some do not understand......

It doesn't really matter if you get a a confirmation from Disney with your name on it...the member still could change it multiple times after that....

This is the part that some do not understand......

It doesn't really matter if you get a a confirmation from Disney with your name on it...the member still could change it multiple times after that....

Definitely correct, it is not your reservation "until" you check in. Until then it belongs to the member.

We rented before buying (3 times) - it was nervewracking (even when we rented from the same guy two years in a row!), but it did work out just fine in the end. If you got the phone number from a friend, perhaps the friend can put you into contact with somebody who has rented from this particular lady in the past? If you can talk to somebody who rented from this lady and had a positive experience, maybe it would put your mind at ease a bit. Good luck!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter