Requesting specific views.....

Laura1994

Mouseketeer
We just got back from WDW. When we booked the reservation (over the phone with Disney) we requested a "water view". We were told to call back about 3 days before we arrived to request this... why I don't know, but we did. When we called 3 days before we were told that they already had it down that we requested it.

We arrive at the front desk to check in and ask again about the water view.... Told we'll be getting the best available.... The woman checking us in has no idea what the view is. She further tells us that you get the best available at the time of your checkin... Meaning requesting apparently means nothing, that the earlier you arrive the better your chances??!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience. I have to say we've gone several years in a row now, but this experience (this was just the first of several "little" things) has me wondering if I want to go back... There are definately some weird things that go on... We called the dining reservation # wdw-dine (or something). Anyway wanted a reservation, given our choice of 2 really crappy times... Went over to the restaurant when we wanted.... No wait, never really got overly busy entire time we were there...

What resort did you stay at? Water views are a separate category type at most resorts and they cost more when you book them, so if you BOOKED a water or lagoon view you should have gotten one. If you booked a STANDARD or garden view and requested a water/lagoon view then it was just at the discretion of the front desk whether you get one or not, they were not obligated to give you an upgrade to a view type you did not reserve.

I'm not quite sure if you meant that you paid for a water view and just wanted a more specific view or if you wanted a free upgrade to a water view. However this did happen to us at both CSR and WL. We always pay for the preferred view but we do have other requests that we make at the time of booking as well as faxing three days prior to our arrival. We were told exactly the same thing. You get the best availability at the time you check in. We had requested connecting rooms at WL and they told us because we didn't check in until 2pm {which I thought actual check in time is 3pm} all the connecting rooms were already gone. The manager even explained to us that people who didn't even request the connecting rooms may have gotten them anyway because they checked in before us. We also felt like maybe requesting ahead of time doesn't really matter.

It happened to us at FRQT. We did pay for waterveiw. We requested pool veiw.. We were on the other side and could see the lake veiw from the side. I was a little dissapointed but thought oh well.. later that day I was in the hottub and heard people saying they love their veiw....had pool veiw and did not pay for it and checked in that day....it makes you wonder...why did they get that and I payed for it and did not....amy

I requested "courtyard" view last year for our WL stay. My second request was for first floor. Got the view but was put on the 6th floor. I called and reserved many months ahead of time and I faxed before we went. I know I shouldn't gripe because I got the view but I feel that if you reserved first, your order should be filled first. I'm of the opinion that with Disney, it's the luck of the draw! Which, for the price, doesn't seem to be worth it!

I so totally agree with you MommaluvsDis. "If you reserve first your order should be filled first". When I said as much to the manager at WL she looked at me like I had lost my mind and said "Obviously you know nothing about the hotel business." The thing is we had a package for that trip and we used a travel agent. While we sat in her office she called WDTC and asked if there were any connecting rooms left because this was for medical reasons and the person she talked to confirmed that there were and we would be guaranteed to get them. At check in .....no deal. The manager told me right to my face that they don't put you in your room until you are standing at that desk checking in. She finally did upgrade us to a king room connected to a regular room because she said our travel agent misled us. We really had to eat humble pie to get these rooms too. You cannot imagine how upset I was.

This is totally unbelievable!!!

I was really aggravated about our lack of view. We booked it through Disney themselves, requesting it at the time of the booking. By the way we were staying at the Villas at WL... Not cheap and was requested months in advance.

Now all these stories, I'm more disgusted now than I was on the trip!

Laura,

The Villas at Wilderness Lodge are for members, who get first preference. If you paid cash for the room, then that may have been the problem.

Even members aren't guaranteed any particular view or request at VWL, OKW, and BCV. BWV is the only DVC property on site that has 'standard' and 'preferred view rooms' and charges a higher number of points for the preferred view rooms.

Resort rooms have a variety of views, with higher prices charged for more desirable views. It takes the same number of points to stay in a room at VWL that faces the water, the woods, or the bus stop. So, a request is simply a request.

Reportedly, the DVC member who books the earliest has their requests filled ahead of those who book later. But, it also depends on who checked out and what rooms are available.

I agree, DVC members should be given first preference on room requests. Not everyone can have a preferred view.

I'd also like to see them start a frequent guest program which assigns "levels" based on the amount you spend at WDW...and things like advanced bookings for Cindy's, preferred views, bonus fastpasses, etc. could be the rewards you can earn by attaining the various levels of membership. It would be very inexpensive to establish and run and a great incentive builder to get people to stay on site and spend more.

Anne

If they were to start a frequent guest program it shouldn't be based on how much you spend. It should be based on the number of visits you make.

I don't think it is fair because you stay at the GF for example that someone should be ahead of me in making PS or other offers.

Many of us can't afford the expensive rooms or want to stay there. I would rather go more times in a year than once in the expensive rooms.

Airlines don't base it on how much you spend why should Disney if they would start one.

Originally posted by safetymom
If they were to start a frequent guest program it shouldn't be based on how much you spend. It should be based on the number of visits you make.

I don't think it is fair because you stay at the GF for example that someone should be ahead of me in making PS or other offers.

Many of us can't afford the expensive rooms or want to stay there. I would rather go more times in a year than once in the expensive rooms.

Airlines don't base it on how much you spend why should Disney if they would start one.

Right--but I"m not talking just rooms, I'm talking swiping the card for ANYTHING you buy, food, souvies, rooms, passes, everything! So yes, people who go a couple times a year and stay at the AS are probably spending about as much as people who go once a year and staying at the GF. The hotels (Hilton, Marriott, Starwood) give you rewards based on how much you spend (including meals in the restaurants), and this is how WDW should base it as well.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter