RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

When the 2011 changes were made, how did this affect sales and prices (direct and resale)?

The resale prices have been increasing steadily. People deplored the changes, threatened to sell their points and more people bought direct and via resale. Then many realized they never exchanged anyway. Plus Direct prices have dramatically increased.

I image within a year there will be some that often complain about anything DVC does will still be complaining about these changes but the majority with realize it hasn't affected them at all.

Sorry if this has been discussed- too lazy to read all the responses. Do you think this will effect resale value on DVC contracts? I wonders if resale pricing will go down.

I don't think so. People that want to buy resale will and those that buy want to buy direct will do. And if the economy continues to improve resale prices will go up. I think this will be a blimp that might show a small downward tread with a rebound quickly overtaking current prices.

Personally I don't like that every member isn't treated the same. It is not magical IMO.

How about the other way around? I have a pre 2011 resale contract. As all ready a " member", I could add on as many resale points as I want and not worry about the "perks"?

It is .... Disney said today that as long as your contract was signed and submitted by today that you were good.... Good luck
Resaledcv just sent an email on the subject. As far as resale contracts pending:
How will this affect buyers under contract that haven’t closed yet?

According to an email this morning from Membership Administration, “all resale contracts received for review by Disney Vacation Development, Inc. prior to April 4, 2016 will not be impacted by this policy change.”

https://www. ********** .com/changes-to-dvc-resale-policy/

I submitted my first dvc purchase for ROFR 3/10. Now I don't know if I want it to go through. Renting DVC points is now clearly the best option. I really don't like that I made the offer thinking "pool hopping might be fun" that is now not an option.

Pool hopping in my opinion is highly overrated. Simply book where you would like to swim. Way more convenient, but I think you will be fine.

Glad I'm in too, but that's just four years of AP discounts for a family of 5.

What do you get for the AP discount? $200 a person. I was thinking $100 a person for some reason and more like 8 years.

Edit: Oops AP Gold. Gotcha.

Last edited:
Pool hopping in my opinion is highly overrated. Simply book where you would like to swim. Way more convenient, but I think you will be fine.
Would argue most of the "perks" Disney pulled back today are overrated. Don't get me wrong, do love a good pool hop, however my purchase was made to save on resort stays. IMHO, the justification for DVC purchase was the 15/20 year payback, the discounts/perks are all gravy on top!

Here's why I think it may drive down the price of small contracts somewhat.
Here is a real world example-I saw a BLT 25 point contract listed at $135 pp with a June use year and no 2015 points avail today. Assuming you paid the actual asking price of $135 pp your savings over direct would only be $45 per point as the current selling price is $180 pp. That is only $1125 which isn't a crazy amount more to pay especially if you have a family of 4 or more and would take advantage of the DVC gold AP-that would recoup $800 right there. Also using this example it has no current use year points-if you bought the same contract direct from Disney by May 31st you would also get your 25 2015 use year points and not have to go through the long drawn out resale process.
I think more future resale buyers would be apt to turn to Disney for small add ons if they could also gain access to the perks since the price difference isn't that significant (compared with large resale contracts).

Last edited:
A few thoughts

This will probably push resale value down on the cheap resorts like SSR slightly because it will most likely pull out some of the initial buyers who are new to DVC from the resale market. But all us current owners will still buy resale because our initial contract currently protects all our benefits. As for places like VGF or VGC this won't affect resale prices because resale is pretty much the only avenue to get in there.

Also, this doesn't affect us West Coast people too much because we pretty much do not get member perks out here anyway. $10 saved on an annual pass is pretty much nothing. There really aren't any other special events outside the member breakfast. Most west coasters have an annual pass so already get the discounts. So the Disneylanders aren't affected too much.

When Disney offers VGC direct or a new timeshare on the West Coast I will buy direct

A few thoughts

This will probably push resale value down on the cheap resorts like SSR slightly because it will most likely pull out some of the initial buyers who are new to DVC from the resale market. But all us current owners will still buy resale because our initial contract currently protects all our benefits. As for places like VGF or VGC this won't affect resale prices because resale is pretty much the only avenue to get in there.

Also, this doesn't affect us West Coast people too much because we pretty much do not get member perks out here anyway. $10 saved on an annual pass is pretty much nothing. There really aren't any other special events outside the member breakfast. Most west coasters have an annual pass so already get the discounts. So the Disneylanders aren't affected too much.

When Disney offers VGC direct or a new timeshare on the West Coast I will buy direct

Kind of unfair that you can't buy direct there currently and if you buy resale you will be penalized. My favorite DL perk is you get 10% discount on almost all food and merchandise.

With is starting today and with the timeline for buying resale Disney has about 2 months to figure out how they are going to do this before the first person who bought today or after will have a membership number.

I feel bad for the people who reached an agreement over the past few days and it was going to be submitted to ROFR today- those are the people who all of a sudden aren't getting what they thought they would, and might be thinking about backing out (if they are allowed to at that point I don't know the rules).

1. DVD reserves the right to revise or adjust any or all Program requirements for Vacation Points at any time and without notice. DVD reserves the right to add to or delete Accommodations or impose block-out dates at any time and without notice.

This is new I believe

This is specifically in regards to the Disney Collection and the Concierge Collection.
Didn't they block booking cruises w/ points several years ago for a short time due to cruise supply/exchange issues?

They implemented the 2011 resale restrictions with lots of notice/warning - anyone who purchased before a future date would be grandfathered in, after that date the restrictions applied. It generated a short resale price hike as people rushed to beat the deadline. This time it was boom - done, today.
This change tells me that they aren't meeting their direct sales targets w/ Poly. I know I personally am not interested in the Poly because studios don't appeal to me (and I'm not interesting in the crazy point prices for the bungalows.) I wish they'd rethink the products they are offering and consider the impact that has on sales rather than the punish resale buyers reaction we are seeing w/ this move.
I think Aulani is taking a long time to sell as well, but for different reasons, and do people who buy Aulani care about DVC perks which are almost entirely park related?

Small contracts may not demand as much of a premium anymore. Although if they are at resorts DVC isn't selling anyway it won't make much difference especially for an add on.

It generated a short resale price hike as people rushed to beat the deadline.

It was pretty much the opposite. Resale flooded and prices dropped.

Restricting points to the home resort is definitely not something that can ever be made different for resale and direct. As long as the resort is part of the club, it gets to trade. The only way to prevent a resort from trading is to remove it from the club. If it is removed from the club, then all owners of that resort, regardless, will not have trading rights at 7 months.
I know this. I was merely pointing out, that the idea is not fair in the least, since it would virtually kill 7 month switching. IF it were even possible. All those who bought direct from Disney with the idea of switching out at 7 months on occasion, would be getting the shaft just as much as the restricted resale concept.

What's the price difference between direct and resale? With the same member number allowed to be used, what's to stop someone from buying 25 points direct, getting your card, then selling those 25. Does that owner who still has resale points no longer get the benefits? How can they track that?
The new member cards have expiration dates. So you can get away with this for a little while, but not forever.

It's still an option for you.... You are grandfathered if you get through ROFR...
How does this work?
I passed ROFR at the end of Feb, but the seller can not close until the end of May. Is this Grandfathered in?
I do have a direct contract, so currently it does not matter, but in the event that I need or want to sell that one in the future it would be nice to know I am still eligable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter