Resort Change by Disney

That’s tricky.

We are paying about $450ish a night for our room at a deluxe resort. If during a regular Disney trip I found out the people on the room next to us had been upgraded from a value resort for $180 a night I would think the Disney Magic was fantastic and good for them.

However....if I found out during this trip we are paying $450ish a night and the rest of the hallway is paying $180 bc they all got upgraded, I would be upset about it, and I’m sure that makes me a jerk but I can’t be the only one.
Don’t ask other people at the hotel what they paid for their rooms. Last year during spring break we got Beach Club on Priceline for $229 a night. When other couples in the hot tub were talking about their rates we had to pretend like we couldn’t remember what we paid to avoid embarrassment. Those down the hall from you may have a Priceline deal, they may have paid more than you, or have been upgraded from the McDonald’s by the All Stars. You’ll be unhappy if you ask.

I don’t think it makes you a jerk to expect that Disney does right by you, but I do think you’ll be unhappy if you expect to be upgraded from a Deluxe resort to something better. There’s just not much farther “up” to go from there. :flower3:

Don’t ask other people at the hotel what they paid for their rooms. Last year during spring break we got Beach Club on Priceline for $229 a night. When other couples in the hot tub were talking about their rates we had to pretend like we couldn’t remember what we paid to avoid embarrassment. Those down the hall from you may have a Priceline deal, they may have paid more than you, or have been upgraded from the McDonald’s by the All Stars. You’ll be unhappy if you ask.

I don’t think it makes you a jerk to expect that Disney does right by you, but I do think you’ll be unhappy if you expect to be upgraded from a Deluxe resort to something better. There’s just not much farther “up” to go from there. :flower3:

A lot of assuming going on in this post.

I never once said I was expecting any sort of upgrade or discount and I certainly never said I ask other people what price they pay for their rooms. I simply told OP it was a tricky situation and that of course people will be upset.

But thanks for assuming all of those things.

I just have this gut feeling that those of us at unannounced resorts are going to have to either pay the upgrade or cancel. I don't see how they could possibly move all of us free of charge.

Nope, only if you request different dates or potentially don’t like the upgrade.

The callbacks this week we’re for June 28th.

they could very well post callbacks next week or the following and open all the resorts for park open.

I called today because I am confused how I can start park reservations Monday for my July 24th trip when Caribbean beach is not open. CM thought it was really strange that they’ve heard nothing about resorts but sounded like we might hear something on Monday based on what other posters shared.

first few weeks are probably hard for Disney to forecast - maybe they’re going to open a moderate and value and consolidate anyone goin in those categories.CM I spoke to said there was still availability at DVC properties for July so just told me to keep checking emails and to hang tight.
We will be at CBR August 5th. I’m waiting also. I would like to know our resort before making park reservations. Feel like I’m doing things backwards 😂.

In the rumor and news thread, there's a person in November who was moved from all star music suite to a villa. That's the latest out I've seen yet.
Well, family suites aren't that cheap in the first place since they're two rooms. A villa makes sense to me. They wouldn't likely be able to fit in one DVC studio or they wouldn't have chosen a family suite.

We will be at CBR August 5th. I’m waiting also. I would like to know our resort before making park reservations. Feel like I’m doing things backwards 😂.

Not to be cynical, but I wonder if Disney planned this...those who don’t know where they are going will call first and that will allow the park system not to crash?

It is backwards for sure...

Well, family suites aren't that cheap in the first place since they're two rooms. A villa makes sense to me. They wouldn't likely be able to fit in one DVC studio or they wouldn't have chosen a family suite.

All DVC rooms, even studios are considered villas. I think that was the TAs way to say they’d be moved to DVC....though Ft Wilderness is still a possibility.

Not to be cynical, but I wonder if Disney planned this...those who don’t know where they are going will call first and that will allow the park system not to crash?

It is backwards for sure...
I have been trying to think through why they are having guests make park reservations BEFORE any of us July 11 and later people even know if we have a room and where we are staying. It makes no sense! Are they wanting us to make our park reservations and get excited and then they spring on us that we have to pay for our room changes...?? After booking your park days, you may feel more like you definitely want to go since you know you can definitely get in??

All DVC rooms, even studios are considered villas. I think that was the TAs way to say they’d be moved to DVC....though Ft Wilderness is still a possibility.

I'm in a Pop preferred room July 19. It'd be great if I could just stay at Pop, but I'll be happy with anything but the cabins. I am crossing my fingers for just please not the Ft. Wilderness cabins!

I could see Disney trying to move guests from the family suites to the FW cabins. Sleeping spaces are similar but you'd lose a bathroom, which is a big loss, imo. Not everyone cares as much though, especially if they have mostly small children. I have two teen dd's. I care about having two bathrooms lol!

I'm in a Pop preferred room July 19. It'd be great if I could just stay at Pop, but I'll be happy with anything but the cabins. I am crossing my fingers for just please not the Ft. Wilderness cabins!
I feel 100% the same. We're at ASMo and I'd much rather be there than the cabins. Pretty sure my two rooms at ASMo was more expensive than the cabins. If they try to put us there, we are 100% cancelling that part of the stay.

I have been trying to think through why they are having guests make park reservations BEFORE any of us July 11 and later people even know if we have a room and where we are staying. It makes no sense! Are they wanting us to make our park reservations and get excited and then they spring on us that we have to pay for our room changes...?? After booking your park days, you may feel more like you definitely want to go since you know you can definitely get in??

I agree..it makes no sense...

I agree..it makes no sense...
It doesn’t make any sense, but then it also makes me think Disney must believe they have room for all of us still booked at closed resorts that they will at least move us and not cancel us. (Hopefully at no additional cost) I can’t imagine Disney having us all book our park reservations on Monday and then later on say, “Just kidding, we are cancelling you, or making you pay way more than you ever planned.” I would like to think they wouldn’t do that, but at this point who knows?

It doesn’t make any sense, but then it also makes me think Disney must believe they have room for all of us still booked at closed resorts that they will at least move us and not cancel us. (Hopefully at no additional cost) I can’t imagine Disney having us all book our park reservations on Monday and then later on say, “Just kidding, we are cancelling you, or making you pay way more than you ever planned.” I would like to think they wouldn’t do that, but at this point who knows?

Interesting. I haven’t heard anything about my 7/10 POR reservation. Mine isn’t through a TA though. I just want to know soon!

A lot of the larger TA agencies had a call witha Disney rep today literally minutes before everything went down. That’s why they are currently more in the know.

I heard from a reputable source that a lot more information would be released in the coming days. I’m hoping that includes weekends.

I just have this gut feeling that those of us at unannounced resorts are going to have to either pay the upgrade or cancel. I don't see how they could possibly move all of us free of charge.
We are at POP starting July 27th....and I will be praying for either an opening or free upgrade this weekend. :(
This is why Pete had said on his podcast that he felt like Disney was doing this so some people would just go ahead & cancel.
Of course that is just his "feeling"....there is certainly no proof of that as of yet.

My trip is one month from now at WL.
2 Cast members both told me my balance was not due until 7 days before my vacation. Has anyone else heard this?
I was prepared to pay and then didn't since everything feels so up in the air on Disneys part.
On Dis Unplugged LIVE today the travel agents all said Disney is giving up to 7 day before vacation to pay as long as your reservation dates are before Oct. 3 2020
I plan on calling a cast member again because at this point I don't know who to believe :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter