• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort dining near closing time?

Remigius

Earning My Ears
We never do this locally but we get so hungry after the fireworks at WDW! We always went to Disney Springs since it's open late but this time, we'd like to explore resort restaurants, like Jiko or California Grill.

This next trip, we plan to go hard all day, then relax with awesome food after the nighttime shows. With transportation and crowds, by the time we get to the restaurants, it will be near closing time..

Is this a good or bad idea? Was there any difference to the service? What were your experiences when dining 15-30 mins before the restaurant closes?

We never do this locally but we get so hungry after the fireworks at WDW! We always went to Disney Springs since it's open late but this time, we'd like to explore resort restaurants, like Jiko or California Grill.

This next trip, we plan to go hard all day, then relax with awesome food after the nighttime shows. With transportation and crowds, by the time we get to the restaurants, it will be near closing time..

Is this a good or bad idea? Was there any difference to the service? What were your experiences when dining 15-30 mins before the restaurant closes?
If you can make a reservation for a restaurant - no matter how late - then it is not near closing time, just the latest time the restaurant seats guests. Your meal experience, service, and food quality will be the same as at any other time the restaurant seats guests.

I would say that if you walked into a restaurant 15 minutes before closing, it's up to you to eat it and beat it. It may be better to just find somewhere else to eat, instead.

If the restaurant is accepting reservations that close to closing, then that's on the restaurant to give you the same level of service.

Nice, thanks for the input! I've been worrying about this ever since I made the reservations. And yes, only ADRs, no walk-ins for us.

California Grill is one of the latest operating restaurants at WDW since they cater to people wanting to see fireworks. If you get the latest ADR offered, they will still take good care of you. :)

California Grill is one of the latest operating restaurants at WDW since they cater to people wanting to see fireworks. If you get the latest ADR offered, they will still take good care of you. :)

Agree. With an ADR, you'll still get treated well.

That said, I'd say the chances of being able to walk up at California Grill are next to zero*...no matter what time of day.

*I never say never, because inevitably someone will come along and claim they were allowed to one time, and make out like it happens all the time.

A few years ago, my dh, his sister, and I "walked in" to Flying fish about 3 minutes before 10 pm. The food and service was just as excellent as the time my brother and I went there for a 7 pm dinner. :) We did not feel rushed at all--even though by the time we finished we were the last in the restaurant.

In 2012, we watched Illuminations at 9:00 then hoofed it to the Flying Fish Cafe for a 9:30 PM ADR.

It was one of the best meals I ever enjoyed at WDW. I wish it still had the same menu. Crab cake app, potato wrapped snapper and Boardwalk treats dessert. Excellent stuff.

We had an amazing dinner at Tiffins at a night when our reservation was the same time as park close. Despite a nearly empty restaurant they took great care of us and even better we had our own private chariot (aka bus) back to our hotel afterwards

We just had a 9:30 reservation at California Grill tonight, and the service was amazing. No rush, people are fantastic! Go for it !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter