Resort hopping.....love it or hate it??

I like resort hopping but it is a hassle. It has enabled us to try several different resorts, but you are homeless for several hours.

I am not at all a fan of split stays. I like being able to unpack once (despite living out of my suitcase for the entire trip lol) and not have to worry about it until I leave. I usually like to leave the park midday and take a pool break or a nap so not having a room would be a huge negative for me as well. The whole situation with ADRs is also one of my biggest deterrent for doing split stays.

However, this Christmas my family and I doing our first ever split stay due to booking past the 7 month window for DVC. We're doing Beach Club/AKL Savanna view/Saratoga Springs. My family and I are only doing 3 park days (2 Disney, 1 Universal) that are scheduled for when we're only at AKL and will be doing pool time + Disney Springs + visiting resorts when we're at BC and Saratoga. We're doing a mixture of offsite dining and Disney restaurants so I hope the booking isn't too annoying but it is what it is.

One thing that we do on our 3-resort stays is pack our clothes together rather than each have a suitcase. When we arrive, we have only one suitcase to unpack and then repack - the others stay in the closet or under the bed. You have everything with you if you need it from the other bags, but somehow only unpacking/repacking one bag makes it go more smoothly for us.
Good idea! I also ordered a purse organizer that I am going to use in my suitcase for the toiletries and other small items.
We've done a bunch of trips staying at 2 resorts. We haven't found it to be an issue, but we are all adults and can handle our own packing. Depending on the makeup of the group, this may create an issue. We like trying a new resort with the backup of a tried and true resort. It's let us try on a new resort without feeling committed to it for the entire vacation if we don't like it. But we just did a 3 different hotel stay while in Glacier National Park within 6 days so we might not be a good example!
Good point that resort hopping with older kids would be easier.

No way I would resort hop with newbies! For many people - it adds stress and you don't want that on a first trip. I'd pick one and stay put. For example, I am a much better week-long vacationer if I do some significant unpacking. My significant other doesn't unpack much at all, but he still he dislikes taking the time to deal with getting bags moved. I do think specifically planning to see another resort or two is a good idea - maybe with a ADR or a using the Skyliner/monorail to do so.

Thinking and planning way ahead to take some 'new to Disney' friends and fam in a year or two. I was thinking it MIGHT be fun to stay a couple nights at Pop then a couple nights at a mod (probably either POFQ or Caribbean (never been there) and then the last few nights at AK (never been there, always wanted to). So I ask those that stay at multiple resorts during one stay.....does this sound like a nightmare or fun way to try each level of resort and end with a new one?? Does packing up and moving your stuff eat up way too much time? Does Disney help move baggage from resort to resort on property or are you on your own? If we plan rest days for the 2 days we move to the next resort, does that make it worthwhile?
Depends on the person. I like doing this and getting the different experiences, my DH is not a fan of packing and unpacking and will complain about it. I would personally pick 2 at the most and do a split stay. Maybe Pop and AK, with rest day on check in at AK.

Ugh, no. Out of points, we made kind of last minute plans for a cash stay at Port Orleans in Feb but could only get French Quarter (preference) for 6 nights. We needed 3 more so we reserved the last 3 nights at Riverside. OMG, they're the same freakin' RESORT and we hated moving. A giant PITA, plus we hated Riverside so....... we moved back to French Quarter. They had a handicapped room become available so we took it. Much happier.

So no. If we are such babies that we can't even move 1/16 of a mile down the Sassagoula, we're not resort hoppers by any stretch. But - to each their own.

I'm not a resort hopping fan.

First of all we fully unpack and put everything away. I don't really want to pack it all up and rinse, lather and repeat.

Second, I'm always really concerned about where my room location will be. If I get a great or mediocre room assignment, I just don't want to go through that again.

Third, we have had a couple unwanted split stays and with a short time in each resort I just always have the feeling that the vacation is almost over, I just don't get that "Full week relaxation", mode, when I have to switch rooms in a couple days.

PLUS, we go enough that if I want to stay somewhere, eventually I will.

Some love it, some aren't crazy about it. Put me down as a no.

Ugh, no. Out of points, we made kind of last minute plans for a cash stay at Port Orleans in Feb but could only get French Quarter (preference) for 6 nights. We needed 3 more so we reserved the last 3 nights at Riverside. OMG, they're the same freakin' RESORT and we hated moving. A giant PITA, plus we hated Riverside so....... we moved back to French Quarter. They had a handicapped room become available so we took it. Much happier.

So no. If we are such babies that we can't even move 1/16 of a mile down the Sassagoula, we're not resort hoppers by any stretch. But - to each their own.

Annnnnnd, just like that, I'm a big fat liar. We've been planning our Aug 8-15 trip in a 1 bdrm at BWV for months and months. Now with less than 10 days to go we decide starting the vacay on Monday is STUPID. Let's go on Saturday! So, I changed flights, made park ressies and looked for a room. BWV is a no, so.... We're staying at Coronado Springs Aug 6 - 8 then moving to the Boardwalk. Well? It looks pretty! And we got a bit of Disney+ deal and we have APs so there ya go. I'll let you know how it goes.
Never say never. So embarrassing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter