Resort mugs

I think the point is that the policy is obviously not clear as a bell for everyone to see. Thats the problem. It should be out there for everyone to see, but it isnt. So, if you then have to resort to asking the CM who should be able to tell you exactly what the policy is and they tell you something different, what are you going to do? I dont really care about the mugs either way, but its obvious that people are being told something very different from what the actual policy is. Im not arguing that people should get to use mugs for as long as they want and at any resort they want. I just dont understand why no effort is made to post a sign at the locations where the mugs are sold. Mugs are a great deal at Wilderness Lodge because the food court is so close to all of the rooms so its very convenient to take a quick trip for a refill, but I know that when I purchased mine that there was definitely no sign to point out that it was for "length of stay" only. I dont think its so outrageous that people are assuming that if they come back to the resort, that they are allowed to use the mugs again. Now at the same time, the people that are bringing mugs from other resorts or filling up their own personal jugs from home at the soda fountains are a different story. That is way out of line to me.

The police is written out at the CBR. On both of our visits in 2000 and 2001, there was a sign stating that the mugs were good for your length of stay. At the WL on a sign on top of the soda machines was a description of both mugs and a sentence also saying it was good for your length of stay. That was just last month. Now also at the WL while I was purchasing the mugs, the CM told me on his own that the mugs were for life at the WL. I pointed out the sign that states the obvious and he just chuckled and waved his hand like it didn't matter! Obviously the CMs are playing games. The sign is there for ALL to see. The WRITTEN policy in black and white. So simple! :rolleyes:

That was my understanding LOS, but is was so long ago I don't recall how the point was conveyed. I work for a large corporation also and it is very difficult to enforce policy with the "front line" employees. Whether it's because they didn't read that memo, or retain that bit of training info, or just disagree with the policy, there can be a problem with adhereing with company policy. This is nothing new. I hope WDW has a plan that is fair and takes in account that some people were mislead. Something like 50% disc off the new bar code LOS mugs if you trade in your old mug. Something where everyone's a winner.

Alice

OK folks, here is the written word from Disney. Now if we can get this reaction on park hour cut backs, and no reductions in admissions. It's only $10.00 and you pay how much per night for a room? Focus on the big items.

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Please know that the "Souvenir Mug" program at Disney Resorts allow you to refill beverages (including hot coffee & tea) at your Resort for the length of your current stay. However, this program is for your Resort only.

It is not extended to refills at other Disney Resorts or Theme Parks. At this time there has not been a "scanning policy announced".

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Zuleika Soto

On Line Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD Reservations
P O Box 10,100
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0100

Manning, you aren't telling me anything I didn't know..as far as the official policy. However, the unofficial policy is still being spoken as of last week (sure, bring 'em on back...you can fill them for life you know, says the CM at the register). No one seems to notice the signs..I only did, because I read it here, some time ago. I even hav ea picture of one of the signs. So? Disney has lots of "official" policy that doesn't seem to be enforced. How many times have you had to show your ID to use Disney transportation? Did you know that is one of the "official" Disney rules? You ever not been able to sit down on Disney Transport? Believe me, it's still not that hard to park at resorts and hop on, even if you aren't staying there (for the record, we stay on property, but we do resort hop a lot...and with or without our white paper, it's easy to get in, and easy to park). When we went to Chef Mickey, and did some other things at the Contemporary, we realized our time was almost up. One of the people at the desk in the contemp, heard us fidgeting, and told us to just send one person out, to "slip" our pass onto the seat upside down. We thought that was really dishonest, and wouldn't have set a good example for our grand...so we left. We turned around the car and went back to the booth and asked if we could have another three hours..he said sure.

Now you have a name and address. Start writing letters, maybe you can change their mind. When there is something I don't like or feel isn't done right, that's what I do. Hopefully if enough people do the same, maybe it may be changed. Wouldn't hurt to address that letter to a VP.

One thing is for sure. Nothing changes if attendance/revenue doesn't drop and if it does, they know why. In other words if you decide to stay away, let them know why.

Originally posted by DMRick
Disney has lots of "official" policy that doesn't seem to be enforced. How many times have you had to show your ID to use Disney transportation? Did you know that is one of the "official" Disney rules
You do not have to be a resort guest to use the transportation, you also get to use it if you have a park hopper ticket.

And yes a lot of official rules are ignored or not followed. FP is a good example, each fast pass as the time you can return on it, however many/most CM's will let you in even if your FP time is over. This does not make it right, or take the turn of the official policy.

I am another that has been told (without asking mind you) that the mugs are good for a lifetime.

Adding the barcode is fine with me, I will purchase new mugs. But what I wish they would do for repeat visitors is offer a barcode "sticker" for your old mug at perhaps 1/2 the price of an actual mug. The last thing I need is more mugs in my cupboards. ;)

been reading for a couple of weeks re: the "mug" issue.....and.....well.....so?? i have never assumed the mugs were good for life. never asked either. but it does not make sense to me that the $10 mug would be good for life. logically that would not make sense. even if a CM had told me the mug was good for life i would have assumed they were wrong and moved on. i kinda like buying the different mugs from the different resorts i have stayed at. anyway, my big question is why does this topic ellicit such a response from some people??? i mean like i said said earlier.....so?? :rolleyes:

No, you do not have to be a resort guest..but you are suppose to at the least, be a park hopper ticket owner. Talk to people at the pools and you may be surprised, how they got to that pool. Many of them are staying outside and park in Downtown Dis and ride in. They show no shame. They may ask for ID at some of deluxe pools, but in five trips this year alone, I've never been asked at POR or AllStars (where I was staying..but I brought my own towel, so I could have been form anywhere). And we have freely gone looked at the other pools, and I've not seen people being asked. We've even rested in their pool chairs. We followed someone parking in the lot at the campground on the bus to the campground pool. We went to the campfire, and they showed up later, wet...we had an interesting conversation with them as we shared our marshmallows...so I know of what I am talking about.

You keep saying this does not make it right (the mugs) just because the suits and managers and cm's say it...I just don't agree. If a person has been told the mug is good for life (come on..this is over and over and over..I"ve heard it, so I know these people aren't just making it up) by CM's..and the suits know it..I saw that first hand in May...yes, I believe it does take the turn of the official policy.

Personally, I have always thought it was stupid of Disney to do it...I just figured it was a marketing stratedgy. But are you even reading what people are saying? They didn't see the signs...(the big writting says "get your mug for "$10). The signs are not that easy to see..as I said, I only saw them because I knew to look. But if you are thinking of buying the mugs, and the cm gives you (and just about everyone else) the same story..why wouldn't you believe them?

Yeah, it's only $10 a mug (and for us that was a well worth expendature of $50 since we stayed in a different resort this time around)..but darn it, I had just spent that $50 when the cm told the person behind me they are good in all the resorts..and that I could have used my old mugs from the AllStars..I questioned her about it and the suit...and they just don't care.

I do assume, since they were mapping out POR's counter that they may go with the new tags...but because the Disney trained cm's and court managers have not only ok'd this practice, but condoned it..it's going to be hard to convince the people who don't read this boards, why it's changed (since apparently, only we knew that was the way it always was).

When I go in August, I will be bringing back my new mugs...and as always will ask if I can use them. If they say no, then so be it..if they say yes, you betcha I will.

You do not have to be a resort guest to use the transportation, you also get to use it if you have a park hopper ticket.

And yes a lot of official rules are ignored or not followed. FP is a good example, each fast pass as the time you can return on it, however many/most CM's will let you in even if your FP time is over. This does not make it right, or take the turn of the official policy.

I find it interesting that when we call for reservations, it's generally expected that a good percentage of the time we will get a CM that has no clue. When we don't like what one CM says, we hang up and call back. From the posts I've read here, it's seems almost expected that the CM's that take reservations don't know all the details and occasionally give out bad info. A CM that knows everything is like "a diamond in the rough" (how about that Disney reference?)
Why should we expect more out of the CM that's flipping burgers and handling $10 transactions, than out of the CM thats' managing people's dream vacations and thousand dollar transactions....

Just my ten shillings & sixpence....

I must be the oddball on this topic because we never buy the mugs. When I'm thirsty I just buy a drink in a regular paper cup and then throw it away.

I think it's funny that people can spend 1000's of dollars on a Disney vacation but then bring along an old mug just to save a few dollars on drinks. :p

Originally posted by plutojudy
Gee, all I wanted to know is if the mugs are bar-coded yet.

LOL!!!!!!

I think that this debate is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

How can a few ounces of molded plastic create such CONTROVERSY?!?!?!

Let me start out by stating that I normally agree with Disney making changes to improve profit margin. I have never been one to complain about EE going away (despite the fact that we felt this was one of the MAJOR reasons to stay onsite), about declining cast members resulting in lesser service, prices climbing etc. This however, as silly, as it is, does seem to be pushing the envelope on Disney's part. I have always heard that Disney receives the syrup for their soda for free from Coke in return for agreeing that Coke products only are sold on Disney property. That is an incredible deal for both parties. Think of all the bottles of coke products sold at Disney. The mugs are sold for $10. They are likely purchased by Disney at a cost of $1 or less, given the quantity that they order. Also, given that the cost of the soda fountains themselves must be considered a sunk cost, the only thing that you are paying for when you buy a fountain drink is carbonated water, the cost to Disney for a drink is minimal. I don't know if you could possibly drink enough in 20 stays at a resort to make the cost to Disney enough to warrant the bar coding of mugs. Also, I am not sure it will be easy to police this effort in the All Stars, CBR, PORS, CR, or other resorts where the fountains are not within the serving area.

Originally posted by tampafan
I am not sure it will be easy to police this effort in the All Stars, CBR, PORS, CR, or other resorts where the fountains are not within the serving area.
Thats the thing, from my understanding, they won't need to "police" it, if your mug does't have a bar code you will not be able to "turn on" the machine and you will not be able to fill up your mug.

Originally posted by tampafan
I have always heard that Disney receives the syrup for their soda for free from Coke in return for agreeing that Coke products only are sold on Disney property.....the only thing that you are paying for when you buy a fountain drink is carbonated water, the cost to Disney for a drink is minimal. I don't know if you could possibly drink enough in 20 stays at a resort to make the cost to Disney enough to warrant the bar coding of mugs.

First, whether Disney pays for its Coke syrup or not is irrelevant. If they don't, or if their cost is really low, it's an exchange with Coke for promotional value and not any kind of gift.

Remember that the barcoding system (IF it ever happens) will prevent not only refilling of old mugs, but also filling of all sorts of containers, which many have reported is a problem at the unsupervised food court fountains.

The "cost to Disney" is not their product cost, but the lost sales from those who get refills to which they are not entitled.

I predict that the "new crime" will be buying ONE new mug, scanning it, then filling ALL your "from home mugs" after scanning that one new mug.

I still say it's way cheaper (and more convenient at midnight) to bring sale-purchased canned sodas from home.

Ok if you buy a regualr drink in a regular cup will that have a barcode on it to be scanned too? (the cup that gets filled only once.)
You shoul dbe able to bring back your old mug, pay a small fee, they give you a barcoded sticker to put on the bottem of it, then you can just use your own mug for the refills. This way you can bring back your old worn in comfortable mug, still pay something for the refills and Disney makes some money off it, you don't have to buy another mug to put in your cabinet, and everyone is happy!

Originally posted by MrsPete
I predict that the "new crime" will be buying ONE new mug, scanning it, then filling ALL your "from home mugs" after scanning that one new mug.

That's exactly what we saw at Blizzard Beach on Saturday. Blizzard Beach has the bar code system on their daily refillable mugs. We saw a couple different ways of cheating the system. The most prevalent were the people who bought one mug and then filled up other mugs and paper cups on their legit "mug swipe". Then there were the refill vultures who waited for you to swipe your mug and walk away leaving the soda machine activated. I had one woman actually walk up and fill her paper cup while I was filling my $10 per day mug. That steamed me and I told her she needed a plastic mug to use the refill station next time.

I'm amazed and impressed by all of you who bring your mugs back to WDW time after time. I guess they don't take much room in a car, but I hope you aren't flying with them -- I'd rather pack another pair of shoes in that space! LOL

Seriously though, we use our refillable mugs throughout the year in the car, at picnics, while visiting friends or waiting for dentist, doctor, & hairdresser appointments, etc. They are a safe way to carry liquids and an excellent promotional device for WDW and for Coca-Cola. They often create a conversation about WDW. (We are enthusiastic annual passholders & very minor stockholders.) We purchased the last pair at WL 6 months ago during a 2-day stay. We have mugs from stays at CB, DixL, & the All Stars(where we usually stay). We drink little soda and use the mugs mainly for coffee or hot chocolate. During our next WDW stay, we plan to enjoy a relaxing boat ride to WL for a day visit and recoup some of our mug investment. We really don't NEED more mugs, so if WDW decides to require a new mug for each stay, we won't buy mugs for such a short stay again, hence no promotional value for WDW or for Coke. I'm sure many new visitors will feel the same way. AND...since many may be switching to flimsy disposable cups, think of all the new spills to be cleaned up -- and the additional slip and fall accidents in the resort food courts! (There goes our stock value!)

I hope WDW will also consider the motto on another of my travel mugs which says "Reduce-Reuse-Recycle". WDW has notices in each resort room proclaiming their conservation/recycling efforts -- they should allow us to recycle, too.

DisGo2Girl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter