Resort Recommendations Please

TheSouthernBelle

DIS Veteran
We are in the early early planning stages for a 7 day/6 night trip. We are not normally planners and usually drive to WDW so we usually do 2-3 months out planning and pull together great 3-5 day trips. So this would be a longer than normal visit for us and as such might consider a pricier resort than we would normally choose since we would have more down time to enjoy our lodging. We have two girls, ages 10 & 9. There are a few good packages out now- few questions:

1-AK Can anyone give me some insight on whether or not the $1k upgade is worth it for the savanna view rooms?? While I think it would be awesome to wake up and step out on the balcony and see wild animals, I also like money in my pocket more....but any experiences would be welcome.

2- We have never stayed at OKW, BW or SS- anyone have any recommendations on these resorts? Preferences? Pros/Cons?

All of these resorts look very very nice but trying to decide what would be best suited for our family. We are not extremely picky, and think we would like any of these resorts above but just not sure if there are some perks to any of them for a family with young girls. We have done some values and other mods before and know the lay of the lands on those already. To date our favorite is POR. TIA

We got a standard view room at AKL, requested a partial view and got an amazing view of the savanna. I would not pay that much to upgrade to savanna view. I would take my chances with standard.

I haven't stayed at any of the others you have listed.

For location, Boardwalk is really the best of that selection if you are regular park-goers, as you can walk to DHS and Epcot. It's a good resort with park hoppers, to grab dinner at Epcot.

However, both SSR and OKW have excellent access to Disney Springs, and nice youth splash pads, depending on ages of your kids.

AKV is really neat, and there are many places for animal viewing not in your room/balcony.

A agree with Shellyb84. I've stayed at AKL, OKW & SS. Did not like SS. Very spread out, rude cast members and I didn't feel like it was anything special. I do like OKW, but last time we stayed there (a split stay with standard AKL) I found it very run down. I know they are in the process of upgrading the rooms, so it would be nice if you could get a renovated one, but there's no guarantee. It is also a spread out resort, so you have to be prepared for multiple pick ups on buses, and sometimes long bus waits.

AKL is my favorite. About 50 percent of the time I book standard I end up with a Savanna view. Not the last time, but I still love the resort and there are so many viewing areas and great activities that, for me, it's far and above the other choices. I like both Jambo and Kidani for different reasons. Kidani is quieter and the lobby much smaller. If you are looking for a larger pool area, food options and a grander lobby, go with Jambo. If you're looking for quiet, go Kidani if you choose AKL. Enjoy!

We got a standard view room at AKL, requested a partial view and got an amazing view of the savanna. I would not pay that much to upgrade to savanna view. I would take my chances with standard.

I haven't stayed at any of the others you have listed.
Very cool, I didn't know there was such a thing as a partial view. I will check that out!!

For location, Boardwalk is really the best of that selection if you are regular park-goers, as you can walk to DHS and Epcot. It's a good resort with park hoppers, to grab dinner at Epcot.

However, both SSR and OKW have excellent access to Disney Springs, and nice youth splash pads, depending on ages of your kids.

AKV is really neat, and there are many places for animal viewing not in your room/balcony.
Great info, we love Disney Springs and not having to deal with parking (since we drive to WDW) is a welcomed perk. Thank you!

A agree with Shellyb84. I've stayed at AKL, OKW & SS. Did not like SS. Very spread out, rude cast members and I didn't feel like it was anything special. I do like OKW, but last time we stayed there (a split stay with standard AKL) I found it very run down. I know they are in the process of upgrading the rooms, so it would be nice if you could get a renovated one, but there's no guarantee. It is also a spread out resort, so you have to be prepared for multiple pick ups on buses, and sometimes long bus waits.

AKL is my favorite. About 50 percent of the time I book standard I end up with a Savanna view. Not the last time, but I still love the resort and there are so many viewing areas and great activities that, for me, it's far and above the other choices. I like both Jambo and Kidani for different reasons. Kidani is quieter and the lobby much smaller. If you are looking for a larger pool area, food options and a grander lobby, go with Jambo. If you're looking for quiet, go Kidani if you choose AKL. Enjoy!
This is great. I've made up my mind, not paying for a savanna view if we go AKL, thank you.

Of your choices, I'd go with AKL or BWI, but I wouldn't do savanna view for that much more (and i have done it, just not for that much). AKL is delightful whether you have a savanna view or not, the only advantage to BWI over AKL, IMO, is the proximity to two parks. If you will have your own car with you, I would do AKL.

This is great. I've made up my mind, not paying for a savanna view if we go AKL, thank you.

Akl is our favorite resort! I totally agree that you don’t need to get Savannah view to enjoy your stay. Places to see animals all over the resort. The only other thing you might want to consider, is a Pool View. The resort is very large... at least with pool view (Jambo house), you will be very close to the pool, the bus stop, and food court and restaurants.

We stayed at AKL in March with a Standard view and had a fantastic view of the animals. We were in a little inlet and at one time had 3 giraffes, a (herd?) of zebras, and some other animals. It was really nice and I would never pay $1k more for a Savannah room. That being said, we still liked POR and French Quarter more.

I'm another huge AKL fan. We have only booked savanna view once and haven't felt the need to do it again in 6 more stays. There are plenty of viewing areas AND you never know...
You might get lucky and end up with a savanna view anyway.

Thank you all, good info here on AKL. I have since found several sites that mark the types of views you can expect at AK without paying for a savanna view. Thanks again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter