Review from our Harmony 7 night with family of 4.... was expecting more

I think that for cruises, connecting staterooms are always a good option if you can make the prices work for you. DCL's split bathroom is nice, but having two full bathrooms is a luxury, especially with teens and tweens.

My older daughter was 12 when we went on Indy, and she was a bit intimidated by the teen club. I think it's a place where the kids will feel better if they were to go together. Assuming you can get in, of course.

One thing I do enjoy about Royal is that they have full bands playing in various locations - for us the theatre music crew set up shop in the Promenade. My experience with DCL is that they make do with "two people and an iPad" for music. Nothing wrong with that - Royal does this as well - but the musicians are limited in their ability to ad lib.

Did you get to try the VR trampolines? I found that a bit weird.

We just got off Mariner with four teenagers (2x 16yo and 18yo/19yo).

The younger ones went to the teen club the first night, made friends and just pretty much hung out with them. There was a "teen event" each night they generally enjoyed, but just had fun being around others their age even if they didn't do any thing. They met up with friends at Coco Cay and did the activities with them.

The older ones are more athletic and spent more time on the sports court

I truly feel this is on the staff to stop people at the door and say hey there is a simple dress code to have dinner in the main dining room.
There is no dress code in the dining room (I think other than "no swimsuits") for dinner. What other people wore didn't bother me. I had my back to the entrance way (and our table was right at the entrance), so I didn't see much/pay attention to what others wore. Ask yourself this... did you pay more attention to what other people wore or talking to your party?

We just got off Mariner with four teenagers (2x 16yo and 18yo/19yo).

The younger ones went to the teen club the first night, made friends and just pretty much hung out with them. There was a "teen event" each night they generally enjoyed, but just had fun being around others their age even if they didn't do any thing. They met up with friends at Coco Cay and did the activities with them.

The older ones are more athletic and spent more time on the sports court

There is no dress code in the dining room (I think other than "no swimsuits") for dinner. What other people wore didn't bother me. I had my back to the entrance way (and our table was right at the entrance), so I didn't see much/pay attention to what others wore. Ask yourself this... did you pay more attention to what other people wore or talking to your party?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Everyone's interpretation is different I suppose. And like I said in my original post, people's attire didn't ruin my time but it certainly was noticeable. We had a walk into the dining room quite a ways so yes I did get a good look around. A ball cap at dinner is distracting to me what can I say.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Everyone's interpretation is different I suppose. And like I said in my original post, people's attire didn't ruin my time but it certainly was noticeable. We had a walk into the dining room quite a ways so yes I did get a good look around. A ball cap at dinner is distracting to me what can I say.
Considering there is no "Formal" night any more, that link is out dated (no surprise based on Royal IT). Instead of "Formal", it's "Dress your best". We just spent 8 nights on Mariner, 7 of those nights we ate in the MDR. What other people wore did not bother me or affect my enjoyment of my meal or the company at my table.

Considering there is no "Formal" night any more, that link is out dated (no surprise based on Royal IT). Instead of "Formal", it's "Dress your best". We just spent 8 nights on Mariner, 7 of those nights we ate in the MDR. What other people wore did not bother me or affect my enjoyment of my meal or the company at my table.

Fwiw the servers and the matri'd used the term "formal night" however I am aware of the newest term "dress your best". And yes, I read in your first post what people wore didn't affect your meal. In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter- still just a matter of opinions from one perspective to the next.

Fwiw the servers and the matri'd used the term "formal night" however I am aware of the newest term "dress your best". And yes, I read in your first post what people wore didn't affect your meal. In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter- still just a matter of opinions from one perspective to the next.
I read the dress code as asking for no swimsuits, and no tank tops at dinner. I don't have any issue personally not wearing those things to main dining because I would freeze. But holding people to a higher dress code than what is published is not a "difference in perspective", it's your desire for a different dress code projected onto others. I'm the woman with purple hair in leggings and a sweatshirt, and I'm A-OK with my dress choices.

I read the dress code as asking for no swimsuits, and no tank tops at dinner. I don't have any issue personally not wearing those things to main dining because I would freeze. But holding people to a higher dress code than what is published is not a "difference in perspective", it's your desire for a different dress code projected onto others. I'm the woman with purple hair in leggings and a sweatshirt, and I'm A-OK with my dress choices.

I don't see how me noticing what people where is holding them to a higher dress code than what is posted. There is a dress code for the main dining room and RCCL can't/won't spell out all the items not allowed so they make is simple with no swimsuits or tank tops leaving room for the perspective of the reader to decide what is appropriate. For me and my family we choose to read that as clothing options that we perceive as more appropriate in a more formal setting dining setting. Would I have noticed your purple hair, sweater, and leggings? Probably not unless you put a hat atop the purple hair and went the a bra type shirt rather than the sweater. In that case I would have preferred a crew member stop you at the door which will never happen so AGAIN no one's attire ruined my dining experiences but it did notice. I really don't see what's wrong with noticing. And like I said in my first post I'm prepared to be flamed over the attire opinion- it's always a hot topic.

There is a dress code for the main dining room
I still have the compasses from the sailing we just got off. Here are the "Dress Codes":

Day 2: Dress Your Best
Day 3: Casual
Day 4: Caribbean
Day 5: Casual
Day 6: Casual
Day 7: Dress Your Best
Day 8: Tropical

However, that's all the descriptions. There's no detail on what's "allowed".

no one's attire ruined my dining experiences but it did notice.
If it doesn't affect your experience, then why does it matter what they wear? Or DID it affect your experience, but not to the point of ruining it?

I still have the compasses from the sailing we just got off. Here are the "Dress Codes":

Day 2: Dress Your Best
Day 3: Casual
Day 4: Caribbean
Day 5: Casual
Day 6: Casual
Day 7: Dress Your Best
Day 8: Tropical

However, that's all the descriptions. There's no detail on what's "allowed".

If it doesn't affect your experience, then why does it matter what they wear? Or DID it affect your experience, but not to the point of ruining it?

I'm happy to see you were able to refer to your recent compasses to acknowledge/confirm there is a dress code regardless of how vague or indescriptive it is. Even on the website it doesn't mention anything about having to wear footwear but people still managed to figure that one out.

Can one not write a review with observations without said observations having an affect on the experience? I did eat in the main dining room 6 out of 7 evenings- so again, no people's attire didn't have any affect on my experience. If it had I would have gone elsewhere or had the same meal plus some delivered to my cabin.

Can one not write a review with observations without said observations having an affect on the experience?
Except you didn't just write your observations....
Ok, but would it be so terrible to bring 1 pair of khakis and 1 polo shirt or black pants and a few blouses to wear all week? Would it be so terrible to take your ballcap off? Those cut off shorts and midriff shirt were the only option you had in your suitcase? I don't do the whole evening gown, cocktail dress, suit thing anymore. But I do wear a pair of black pants and a selection of shirts to mix. I truly feel this is on the staff to stop people at the door and say hey there is a simple dress code to have dinner in the main dining room. Eat elsewhere or order something to go.
That segment sounds pretty judgemental, especially the last sentence. You also mentioned you knew you were going to get flamed for your comments.

The bottom line is it's up to Royal to enforce any "dress code" (I guess if you don't dress Caribbean or Tropical when it calls for it, you're not following the dress code and should eat somewhere else?). The fact is they no longer do. To me, that means there is no "dress code".

That segment sounds pretty judgemental, especially the last sentence.
Umm, ok...
You also mentioned you knew you were going to get flamed for your comments.
Looks like my predictions were correct.
The bottom line is it's up to Royal to enforce any "dress code" (I guess if you don't dress Caribbean or Tropical when it calls for it, you're not following the dress code and should eat somewhere else?). The fact is they no longer do. To me, that means there is no "dress code"
I truly feel this is on the staff to stop people at the door and say hey there is a simple dress code to have dinner in the main dining room.
Thanks for echoing my original post.
As far as Caribbean or Tropical, clearly those are themes. I wouldn't expect people to follow a theme but the rest of the dress code, yup I do.

Umm, ok...

As far as Caribbean or Tropical, clearly those are themes. I wouldn't expect people to follow a theme but the rest of the dress code, yup I do.
LOL

We took the Harmony cruise the following week - just got off on Sunday 7/31 and we had a great time!! Our group of 17 had a 9, 16, (3)-18yr olds plus - the youngest one thoroughly enjoyed the multiple slides. Even my 16 yr old son enjoyed himself. Went to every show with us, while the Aqua show was extremely out there in the beginning - you can't discount the stunts they did.

I will agree about the shopping - very disappointing.

Remember they are still trying to come back from being shutdown, so some of the service wasn't as good as it was in the past but one thing that we were shocked at was how casual people dressed in the main dining room for dinner. I'm not saying you had to dress up in a suit/dress each night, but we come from a long line of cruisers and shorts and baseball hats are not the way to go for the main dining room . If you want to go that casual, eat at the buffet or other options. and PS - We had 2 "FORMAL" (not called 'Dress your best') nights on our cruise - we opted to dress formal for only 1 though and it was fine. I would say that we saw the majority picking 1 out of the 2 to dress formally.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Harmony - overall we all enjoyed our trip!

I'm not saying you had to dress up in a suit/dress each night, but we come from a long line of cruisers and shorts and baseball hats are not the way to go for the main dining room . If you want to go that casual, eat at the buffet or other options.
sigh. :rolleyes:

There was an aqua show called "The Fine Line" and we thought it was decent but very very weird lol. To start the show a guy literally just spun around and around in a circle for nearly 5min to music. Reminded me of something from clockwork orange it was very strange. Something we all left saying well that was different.

Nice to see that the spinny guy is still there.

It's a weird part of the show but I think it's to give the divers a break and/or costume change.

We got off Harmony on Sunday...saw the show and I think it was cut short. The planner listed a 50 minute show, but I think it ended around the 30 minute mark. It felt really choppy and disjointed.

We got off of Harmony on Sunday. I think there is one pro to the lack of shopping for all onboard...I had 0 desire to shop and spend more $! 😂

We had a nice trip, but I'm not sure cruising is right for us. The vast majority of my fears that previously kept us from cruising in the past weren't an issue, but we didn't love the experience either. It wasn't awful by any means (minus the handling of my daughter's food allergies), but I think I was more interested in ports vs. time on board. The only time in port that I found myself wanting desperately to get back onboard was at CocoCay, and that's simply because we are not beach people. We probably would try a different cruise line and a non-tropical itinerary if we choose to cruise in the future, but we'll see.

I definitely agree with you on the kids clubs. My son wasn't a big fan of the Disney kids club, but LOVED the RC kids club when he was 6.
We love Disney cruises, but simply can't afford more than a 4 day cruise with them.
I heard RCL is having a hard time with getting enough staff since the cruise re-start, which could explain the early closures and brief staff interactions.
We are not cruising until April next year and will have one 13 yr old son with us. Hopefully things will have improved by then!
I will miss the nightly shows that Disney puts on.
Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you for sharing this! We have only cruised once before and it was a 4 night on the Disney Dream. We had a 4 night on Independence of the Seas (similar itinerary and I wanted to truly compare the two lines/private islands, etc.) and then Covid hit our family and we had to postpone our cruise. I know have the cruise credit to use next year--and had been considering adding on and doing a full week-but your experience is making me reconsider and stick with trying the smaller cruise first (we can always add on some of the theme parks, etc. to expend our vacation).

I am guessing this is the case on most and all Royal ships (the closing early, etc.). My boys absolutely loved the dive in movies and late night pool nights on Disney (as well as the movie theater). Does Royal do the dive in movies at least at night? Is the arcade open later? Miniature golf?

What did you think of the private islands in comparison to each other? Just from looking at it--Royal seems to have a better one than Castaway Cay--but who knows!

Does Royal do the dive in movies at least at night? Is the arcade open later? Miniature golf?
Royal had movies at the pool screen on our Mariner cruise a couple of weeks ago. I think the last one started at 8 or 9:30 (can't remember). Mini golf was 24/7 I'm pretty sure, as is the arcade.
Coco Cay (private island) I could have used another day at to explore. I spent 3/4 of one day at the thrill park, some time on South Beach, and then was tired and went back to the ship.

Umm, ok...

But there is no dress code…

But there is no dress code…

Oh goodness.
I welcome you to visit the RCCL website and compasses for dress code information. Whether a cruiser agrees with the dress code, wants to participate in the dress code, or the cruise line enforces the dress code doesn't negate the fact there is one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter