Rhine River Cruise Meets Thread

I spoke to ABD yesterday about the "some excursions have limited capacity and are on a first come, first serve basis" clause on the Daily Activities Planner. The first vacationista I spoke with told me they never sent out such literature and to call my TA. I told her it came in my welcome package and it was most certainly from ABD.

She transferred me to a supervisor (he initially denied ABD made that statement, then he asked if I would forward him my Daily Activity Planner, then he finally agreed he would see if he could obtain one and call me back, which he did after 2 failed attempts to get the right piece of paper). He said it was the "vendors" and the "sub-contractors" that I should be speaking to. I asked him if I was supposed to contact them and why on earth would I when I booked the trip through ABD?

He asked me what excursions I was interested in and he told me that he would "try" to see if he could get information on whether or not my top choices would have limited capacity. He said "the vendors put the group size restrictions in place, not us". Uh, correct me if I'm incorrect, but doesn't ABD choose the vendors? So maybe they made some poor choices with their vendors for this tour.

I don't want to feel like I have to have a foot race to get to the boat so that we get the excursions we want. Just not what I expect from a vacation that I paid a lot of money for. It makes me feel like I will be going to WDW and racing to get the best FPs for the day (in the days of old).

If we can't get to the Anne Frank House I am going to be mighty upset. That is on the top of our list. I can't fathom that they wouldn't anticipate the demand for that particular tour. Actually we are pretty set in what we want to do. I sincerely hope we get our first choices -- I just can't think about anything to the contrary because it makes me :scared::mad::crazy:.

If I had known that we were going to have to "race" to the ship so that we get our first choices I never would've stayed in Zurich the night before (actually unless I enroll in a race or fitness challenge by choice, I never want to feel like this on a vacation). I think there might be some very poor planning on ABDs part with this aspect of the cruise.

I spoke to ABD yesterday about the "some excursions have limited capacity and are on a first come, first serve basis" clause on the Daily Activities Planner. The first vacationista I spoke with told me they never sent out such literature and to call my TA. I told her it came in my welcome package and it was most certainly from ABD.

She transferred me to a supervisor (he initially denied ABD made that statement, then he asked if I would forward him my Daily Activity Planner, then he finally agreed he would see if he could obtain one and call me back, which he did after 2 failed attempts to get the right piece of paper). He said it was the "vendors" and the "sub-contractors" that I should be speaking to. I asked him if I was supposed to contact them and why on earth would I when I booked the trip through ABD?

He asked me what excursions I was interested in and he told me that he would "try" to see if he could get information on whether or not my top choices would have limited capacity. He said "the vendors put the group size restrictions in place, not us". Uh, correct me if I'm incorrect, but doesn't ABD choose the vendors? So maybe they made some poor choices with their vendors for this tour.

I don't want to feel like I have to have a foot race to get to the boat so that we get the excursions we want. Just not what I expect from a vacation that I paid a lot of money for. It makes me feel like I will be going to WDW and racing to get the best FPs for the day (in the days of old).

If we can't get to the Anne Frank House I am going to be mighty upset. That is on the top of our list. I can't fathom that they wouldn't anticipate the demand for that particular tour. Actually we are pretty set in what we want to do. I sincerely hope we get our first choices -- I just can't think about anything to the contrary because it makes me :scared::mad::crazy:.

If I had known that we were going to have to "race" to the ship so that we get our first choices I never would've stayed in Zurich the night before (actually unless I enroll in a race or fitness challenge by choice, I never want to feel like this on a vacation). I think there might be some very poor planning on ABDs part with this aspect of the cruise.

This is ridiculous on ABD's part. To deny literature then state its the vendors and we should contact them ourselves is just crazy. I also agree that Anne Frank is high yield. This is a high priced trip and ABD needs to step up. This is why we pay them.

I am appalled. I hope you got that supervisor's name. I'd call back and ask to talk to that supervisor's supervisor. Seriously. That is the worst customer service I've heard of in ages!!

If it's going to work that way, they need to tell you which excursions it is now, and allow you to sign up ahead of time, NOT at the ship, so you can make alternate arrangements if you don't get what you want.

Sayhello

I asked him if I was supposed to contact them and why on earth would I when I booked the trip through ABD?
This - so this. Thank you for sharing and please keep us updated on what you find out. This was my first ABD booking, and I may switch it to something else if we can't get the excursions we want. Travelling with 12 and 15 year old boys, there are some very definite "wants" and "don't wants". I have planned two family trips to Europe by myself already - I was really looking forward to being more relaxed for this one (at least for the 7 days on the boat)!

I am appalled. I hope you got that supervisor's name. I'd call back and ask to talk to that supervisor's supervisor. Seriously. That is the worst customer service I've heard of in ages!!

If it's going to work that way, they need to tell you which excursions it is now, and allow you to sign up ahead of time, NOT at the ship, so you can make alternate arrangements if you don't get what you want.

Sayhello

If ABD is going this route of first come, first served than ABD should allow passengers to prebook their choices much like shore excursions on cruise lines. Other companies on river cruises seem not to have a problem with their guests and excursions so why does ABD? Something doesn't seem right.

If ABD is going this route of first come, first served than ABD should allow passengers to prebook their choices much like shore excursions on cruise lines. Other companies on river cruises seem not to have a problem with their guests and excursions so why does ABD? Something doesn't seem right.

I wonder if this is because the Rhine river cruise is new. I can't find any wording in the Danube river guide book that says that excursion sizes are limited.

I wonder if this is because the Rhine river cruise is new. I can't find any wording in the Danube river guide book that says that excursion sizes are limited.

The "first come first serve" clause isn't in the "guide book" for the Rhine River cruise. It is on the "daily activities planner" which is an 8" x 10" piece of paper that was tri-folded and inserted into the adventure guide. The clause is in fine print at the bottom of the page.

I am now stressing about whether or not I should buy tickets for Anne Frank House to do on our own just in case that excursion is full when we get there (which will be $$ down the drain if we can get on the excursion). I know that the other excursions on the morning of the AF house tour don't interest me at all.

Well if you would be really disappointed then i would suggest you buy the tickets. they are relatively inexpensive so it's probably worth it for piece of mind. you might even be able to sell them that day if you end up not needing them. However, what date do you need them for? I looked quickly and it looks like most of the tickets for June are already sold.

The "first come first serve" clause isn't in the "guide book" for the Rhine River cruise. It is on the "daily activities planner" which is an 8" x 10" piece of paper that was tri-folded and inserted into the adventure guide. The clause is in fine print at the bottom of the page.

I am now stressing about whether or not I should buy tickets for Anne Frank House to do on our own just in case that excursion is full when we get there (which will be $$ down the drain if we can get on the excursion). I know that the other excursions on the morning of the AF house tour don't interest me at all.

Well if you would be really disappointed then i would suggest you buy the tickets. they are relatively inexpensive so it's probably worth it for piece of mind. you might even be able to sell them that day if you end up not needing them. However, what date do you need them for? I looked quickly and it looks like most of the tickets for June are already sold.

Tickets for our dates are sold out. I don't want to worry about not getting to do the tour - when I saw it on the itinerary I didn't fathom that I'd have to purchase tickets myself just in case ABD decided to make this excursion "first come first serve". This is our #1 attraction in Amsterdam and I would have purchased tickets well in advance if I even had an inkling ABD might limit the participants on this tour. AGHHHH.

I am still waiting to hear back from the supervisor at ABD regarding which excursions are limited capacity. He said he would have to call California, who would then have to call the vendors in Europe, who would get back to the staff in CA who would then let him know. Yeah -- it sounds ridiculous.

There really has to be a better way to manage the capacity for shore excursions on the Rhine River cruise. I think everyone should be guaranteed their top choices not have to race to the ship (in our case from an overnight in Zurich) to reserve our top choices.

yes, i totally agree. We are booked on this trip for next June so am definitely interested to hear what they say. In our case our daughter's will be 6 and 8 so there are a bunch of excursions that they either can't do or would be totally uninterested in. I hope everything works out!

We are on the July 1st cruise. Me,my wife, 9 and 19 y/0 daughters.
Tickets for our dates are sold out. I don't want to worry about not getting to do the tour - when I saw it on the itinerary I didn't fathom that I'd have to purchase tickets myself just in case ABD decided to make this excursion "first come first serve". This is our #1 attraction in Amsterdam and I would have purchased tickets well in advance if I even had an inkling ABD might limit the participants on this tour. AGHHHH.

I am still waiting to hear back from the supervisor at ABD regarding which excursions are limited capacity. He said he would have to call California, who would then have to call the vendors in Europe, who would get back to the staff in CA who would then let him know. Yeah -- it sounds ridiculous.

There really has to be a better way to manage the capacity for shore excursions on the Rhine River cruise. I think everyone should be guaranteed their top choices not have to race to the ship (in our case from an overnight in Zurich) to reserve our top choices.

I spoke to ABD and was told that everyone will get the excursions that they want. We also know exactly what we want to do each day. If it makes you feel better we are going to the Van Gogh museum. We are staying an extra 2 days in Amsterdam and are going to the Anne Frank house then.
On a more happy note, does anyone want to do a fish extender???

I would not trust what ABD is saying about everyone will get there first choice. Frankly, I don't think they know, and it depends on who you talk with as to what you are told. The guy I talked with said if you don't get your first choice on one thing, they will work with you to get what you want on other excursions. But, he had no idea what excursions where limited availability. He also said he had talked with guest and others who had gone, and they had gotten what they wanted without any problem. But, who really knows? They don't seem to. Surely, they could contact the guides who went in April and find out to let people know.

In April, the only excursion that I am aware of that had a space limitation was the Macaron Baking on Day 3, since the kitchen where it was done was rather small. The chocolate making class on day 6 had limited space per class but there were multiple classes (three I believe) scheduled to accommodate the demand. However, the April cruise only had 110 odd guests and 9 kids so the summer excursions might still reach a limit. We registered for excursions around 2:30 and did not have a problem getting our first choices. I do remember that the adventure guide doing the registration were checking for numbers for the various excursions so they did have limits.

When registering for the Danube cruise last year, I got more of a sense that the registration was to determine numbers for each excursion rather than a fixed maximum. Correspondingly, changing excursions seemed to be more acceptable on the Danube than this year on the Rhine.

In April, the only excursion that I am aware of that had a space limitation was the Macaron Baking on Day 3, since the kitchen where it was done was rather small. The chocolate making class on day 6 had limited space per class but there were multiple classes (three I believe) scheduled to accommodate the demand. However, the April cruise only had 110 odd guests and 9 kids so the summer excursions might still reach a limit. We registered for excursions around 2:30 and did not have a problem getting our first choices. I do remember that the adventure guide doing the registration were checking for numbers for the various excursions so they did have limits.

When registering for the Danube cruise last year, I got more of a sense that the registration was to determine numbers for each excursion rather than a fixed maximum. Correspondingly, changing excursions seemed to be more acceptable on the Danube than this year on the Rhine.

Thank you for the clarification. I figured they wouldn't put the "first come first serve" clause on the Activities Planner if there weren't actually limits.

It would sure be nice if they would let the vacationistas that answer the phones aware of the size limitations for some excursions. They are giving out all sorts of conflicting information which is just wrong.

Signed up for the Rhine River Cruise - the food and wine themed one - for Sept. 2018! Can't wait to hear the reviews on this cruise!
Signed up for the Rhine River Cruise - the food and wine themed one - for Sept. 2018! Can't wait to hear the reviews on this cruise!
We are on this cruise, as well! I'm reading everything on the boards about the Rhine cruise. Very excited about this Food & Wine version!

Last edited:
We're going on the June 17th Rhine River Cruise. Does anyone know if the doors are magnetic or if guests do fish extenders on the river cruises?

Hello Eileenct,

Please explain a bit more in your question ?

What difference does it make if doors are Magnetic ?

What are Fish Extenders ? ...... if you mean Fishing using fishing rods .... NO is the reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter