Richard Petty Driving Experience

wintergreen

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done the Richard Petty Driving Experience? My husband would like to do this the next time we go to WDW. How much does it cost? Do folks think that it is worth doing? Any help would be very much appreciated!

I booked the experience of a lifetime for my uncle last year. The cost was about 1,200.00 (there is an ap discount but i didnt know and didnt use it). It took a few hours to do and my uncle had a great time. It was well worth the money as he said this is something he will never forget the rest of his life. I think it was around 30 laps or so. They went to a meeting a learned safty and signed papers , then they suited up in the racing uniforms. They did a few laps around the course in a van to see it and then they all took turns racing but following a professional pace car. They then got to do it themselves. There was also a professional photographer who took pics of this and we purchased some really good ones that we have framed. It was a surprise for my uncle and we didn't tell him until the night before so he had no idea. They also give you certificates that say what the maximum speed you reached was. My whole family went to see him and they had some bleachers ubder a covered area and we took pictures , video taped and cheered him on. I think it was worth every cent and more. It truely was an experience of a lifetime. If you do do this for DH maybe you should keep it a surprise. You can find all the info and dates at www.bepetty.com Oh and of coursethere are cheaper packages available.:wave2:

If you get the Orlando Magic Card (free from their web site) you can get 10% off. I forgot their website but if you do a search here for "petty" you will find some good info and great stories from previous posters. I'm planning on getting my DH the rookie experience in Feb. I got the Magic Card now I just have to call and make the ressie. He'll love it.

DH did it just a month ago-the Rookie experience, 8 laps for a little under $400, took about 2 1/2-3 hours-and he still hasn't stopped talking about it. This is a normally very calm person, who doesn't get excited about much of anything, yet when he handed me his sunglasses just before he put on his helmet and got in the car, his hands were shaking he was so giddy with excitement. Worth it? Definitely! But then again, he likes sports cars (drives a Corvette-his "mid-life crisis car", I call it) and is a big NASCAR fan. His dream in life now is to hit the lottery so he can do the Richard Petty Experience every day.

Gave DH the rookie experience for is 40th BD (cost was about 400). It was a total suprise when DD handed him the envelope to open (we had also wrapped a small toy remote controlled car).

He is not a racing fan but loves driving. The race car was a big change from the Windstar van he drives every day. He loved the experience. He purchased the plaque with his picture both in and by the car. It was worth every dollar I spent for the fun he had. The experience took the morning (he was back in our room at the Wilderness Lodge by noon).

DD and I had a girls moring while he drove. I would love to suprise him with doing it again sometime (maybe an excuse for anther trip hum??):D

I toyed with the idea of doing this for DH the last time we were at WDW, and I opted not to because the $400 for the rookie experience would have busted our budget. But for our trip in Mar 05 (10th anniversary), I have already stashed away the $$ (thanks to a new, much better paying job). DH is a pilot for the AF and a huge NASCAR fan, so it will be worth every penny this time. That is going to be his annivesary present!!

Have posted this before but will mention our experience again:

DH was scheduled to do this last Feb. but got rained out (a downpour!:( ). The track folks were so nice, they even gave him a ride all the way back to the BW vs. the TTC.

We were offered two choices: reschedule to Sat.(which was our last day at WDW) or take a rain check good for one year. When DH mentioned that we lived in Michigan, the track guys told him to use the raincheck at MIS instead of WDW Speedway as MIS is a 2 mile track (meaning you drive faster and longer for the same price).

Finally in early May all four of us made the 45 min. drive at 6 am. to the Michigan track. It was great!:hyper: Although we grumbled about getting up so early, kids and I were soooo glad we went to watch. DH had a ball. It really was a thrill for him and we were there to record it all on video. His top speed was 144 mph!

The RP people are great, truely dedicated to making it special for everyone. They took the wives and kids in a van around the track, up on the high banking... very cool. We watched it all from pit row and the pit row roof, again....very cool!:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter