Ride differences between DL and WDW

We are a 2x/year DLR family and just finished up our first time at WDW. Definitely some interesting differences.

At DLR you should absolutely do the classic Fantasyland rides that aren’t at MK. Echoing above, Pirates is a vastly better ride at DLR. Space Mountain is quite different as well as I definitely recommend it if you enjoy the original at MK.

Two other things to note. The fireworks at DLR are nothing compared to WDW. The rides at DLR all seem to have volume turned up to 11. I wear earplugs on a lot of rides because the sound is excruciatingly loud. Indy is probably the worst. This was not the case at WDW.

Okay, so Uni Hollywood is a little different than Uni Orlande, though most rides that are the same are exactly the same. So, let me run it down:

Universal Studios Hollywood
Upper Lot

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem - exactly the same except for the pre-show
Silly Swirly Fun Ride - aerial spinner
The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash - UNIQUE, may require virtual queue
Dreamworks Theater: Kung Fu Panda - UNIQUE
The Simpsons Ride - exactly the same
Waterworld: A Live Sea War Spectacular - UNIQUE and CANT MISS! Seriously, it's better than the move! I recommend watching the last show of the day.

Wizarding World
Flight of the Hippogriff - exactly the same
Forbidden Journey - exactly the same

Lower Lot:
Jurassic World - newly themed with new effects, but same raft ride as JP in Orlando
Revenge of the Mummy: very similar but not exactly the same as the Orlando counterpart
Transformers: The Ride 3D: exactly the same

Super Nintendo Land
Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - UNIQUE, may require virtual queue

Now, here's the trick.

Backlot Tour:
This will contain elements from several attrractions at Universal Orlando. The tram will take you into the movie studio lot, but will stop at several special effects sound stages including:

Earthquake - this is what used to be at USO as Disaster but is no longer there
King Kiong: 360 3-D - similar to the main portion of Kong in Orlando, but without the temple and animatronic scenes
Fast & Furious: Supercharged - basically the entire ride that is in Orlando

There will be other stuff to see too, but the tour includes those three as part of the almost one hour long ride experience. It is well worth doing for sure!
Thank you so much. At first glance doesn't look different enough to grant the cost involved in spending a day there. Maybe it's just better to keep the parks to the Florida ones and just spend 3 days sightseeing in LA?

Thank you so much. At first glance doesn't look different enough to grant the cost involved in spending a day there. Maybe it's just better to keep the parks to the Florida ones and just spend 3 days sightseeing in LA?

Well, it depends. If you are into movies and such, the tour is really great. You see real film locations and such. If you are into that it may be worth it. WB aslo runs a great tour if you just want to see a studio.

Well, it depends. If you are into movies and such, the tour is really great. You see real film locations and such. If you are into that it may be worth it. WB aslo runs a great tour if you just want to see a studio.
Thanks the Wb does look pretty good, however my kids are still little so they are more into rides I'm not sure how much they would appreciate the different tours, but I will just ask them. Thank you again for all your help it has been invaluable

OP, if you are considering skipping Indiana Jones, because DINOSAUR is so rough it’s almost unrideable, reconsider. Although they are the same ride system, for some reason, Indiana Jones is just a nice thrill ride without the hip-bruising shoulder-jolting trauma of DINOSAUR.
Is riding Indiana jones okay if you have neck issues?

Agree, I grew up in Florida and went to WDW many, many times. Now we’re huge DL fans. I just love the intimacy that this park gives versus the rides and the time spent on buses, monorails and Skyliners trying to get to one park versus the other. Add to that the horrible humidity.

Managed to do both WDW and DL within 60 days this year. I was at DL in October as well. I tell folks these are just two different experiences. It's hard to even compate

WDW
Toy Story Mania - vehicles feel in better shape (DCA vehicle was essentially not functioning)
Tower of Terror - still amazing
RnR - didn't ride it but still all-time favorite
Haunted Mansion - I like WDW if only for its queue
Pooh - DL version is just so far out of the way; love WDW

DL
Pirates - not even close
Guardians (ToT overlay) - Hace to say this ride and overlay may well be the best single thing at DL.
Thunder - it makes no sense but DL version feels longer. Slight advantage to DL
Mr. Toad - just because we can.

A push for me
Space- DL is a better ride overall but I grew up on the WDW version of Space and I love it.

Some notes
Matterhorn - I rode it in October and I skipped this month. Just way too rough.

When Tiana opens on both coasts, it will be interesting. In the past WDW by miles.

Tron is at WDW - amazing experience that is way too short but well worth it.

The warning sign for the ride says you should be free of back and neck issues.
Pretty much every ride says that. However, of the rides at DLR, Indy is probably going to be one of, if not the most problematic for someone with neck issues.

Pretty much every ride says that. However, of the rides at DLR, Indy is probably going to be one of, if not the most problematic for someone with neck issues.
Thank you for sharing that info. Yes I know that warning is vague on every ride and some rides you can definitely get away if you have those issues.

My personal opinion is that I would do Disneyland over sightseeing in LA. LA isn’t really that interesting for tourists in my humble opinion, unless there’s something very specific there that interests you.

I wouldn’t let the prospect of crowds at Disneyland scare you off if that’s the only reason you don’t want to go. It’s always gonna be somewhat busy as you probably know from going to Disney World, but I’m sure you’re probably used to it if you’ve been to WDW

Tagging onto this thread, @BrianL and others, do you have a list of rides and shows that are better, the same, or worse at WDW compared to DL? I asked on the WDW Tips forum, but didn't get an answer. A link to previous posts/threads would be okay as well.

Tagging onto this thread, @BrianL and others, do you have a list of rides and shows that are better, the same, or worse at WDW compared to DL? I asked on the WDW Tips forum, but didn't get an answer. A link to previous posts/threads would be okay as well.

Okay, let's go the opposite direction:

Magic Kingdom:
Swiss Family Treehouse - unchanged but very similar
Jungle Cruise - Slightly Longer with temple tunnel, which weas removed from the DL version
Magic Carpets of Aladdin - basic spinner (see Dumbo)
Enchanted Tiki Room - shorter show without fountain segment
Pirates of the Caribbean: Significantly shorter, one drop (still good though, but not nearly as goo as DL version)
Tiana's Bayou Adventure - Unknown at this time, but the boats at MK are wider and seat side-by-side.
Big Thunder Mountain - No projection effects but essentially the same
Tom Sawyer Island - It doesn't have the "Prates Lair" installations but is similar
Country Bear Jamboree - Closed for a new show
Liberty Belle Riverboat - Same as the Mark Twain essentially
Haunted Mansion - It is somewhat different and the ride is slightly longer (the walk after the stretching room is shorter)
Peter Pan's Flight - Very similar with some slight improvements and a slightly different order
it's a small world - Basically similar, no Disney characters
Mickey's Philharmagic - Larger screen but same movie
Prince Charming Regal Carousel - basically the same thing, but I've never seen Mary Poppins and the band ride
The Many Adventures of Whinnie the Pooh - Very similar, slightly different ride vehicles
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Totally unique
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid - ride is the same as the DCA version but the queue is significantly fancier.
Dumbo The flying Elepahnt - the same but there are two of them.
The Barnstormer featuring the Great Goofini - It is unique, but similar-ish to Gadget Coaster.
Tomorrowland Speedway - Much shorter than Autopia
TRON: Lightcycle/Run - Totally Unique
Space Mountain - very different than DL's Space Mountain, but the ride system is actually that of The Matterhorn.
Carousel of Progress - Totally Unique (thought used to be at DL)
Astro Orbiter - essentially the same but at the top of Rocket Tower Plaza
The PeopleMover - Totally Unique (Yep, still got this!)
Buzz Lightywar Space Ranger Spin - Similar, but guns are on swivels attached to the car and targeting is not as good.
Monsters Inc. Laught Floor - Totally Unique (Show with live, improv emlements)

EPCOT:
Space Ship Earth - Totally Unique
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Totally Unique
Mission: SPACE - Totally Unique

Test Track - Same ride system as Radiator Springs Racers, but shorter and no side-by-side race (actually slightly faster)
Journey into Imagination - Totally Unique
Soarin' - exactly the same
Living witht he Land - Totally Unique
The Seas with Nemo and Friend - Totally Unique
Gran Fiesta Tour featuring the Three Caballeros - Totally Unique
Frozen Ever After - Totally Unique
Wondrous China - Totally Unique
(Circle Vision)
Beauty and the Beast Sing Along - Totally Unique
Impressions de France - Totally Unique
(movie only shown sometimes in the same theater as the Sing Along)
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure - Totally Unique (well it's in Paris)
Canada Far & Wide - Totally Unique (Circle Vision)

Hollywood Studios:
Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - Same ride, significantly shorter and less interesting queue
Frozen Sing Along - Totally Unique
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular - Totally Unique
(worth seeing if you never have - hasn't changed in years).
Star Tours - exactly the same
Muppet-Vision 3-D - Totally Unique (Now anyway, DCA used to have it and it was identical).
Rise of the Resistance - exactly the same
Milennium Falcon Sumggler's Run - exaxtly the same (all of SWGE is practically identical)
Alien Swirling Saucers - the same as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Slinky Dog Dash - Totally Unique
Toy Story Midway Mania - exactly the same
One Man's Dream - Totally Unique (small museum and movie, actually pretty cool)
Disney Jr. Dance Show - I honestly don't know, but I assume very similar to the one at DCA
Rock'n Roller Coaster Featuring Aerosmith - Totally Unique (comparable to Incredicoaster)
Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy - Totally Unique (show)
Tower of Terror - Okay, so not Totally Unique, but it was always a bit different than the DCA version and worth doing.
Beauty and the Beast - Totally Unique
Fantasmic! - It is somewhat different - staging and seating is better, some of the segments are completely different.

Animal Kingdom - Totally Unique 🤣 - Okay, I'll go a little deeper
It's Tough to be a Bug - Totally Unique (but DCA used to have it)
Avatar: Flight of Passage - Totally Unique
Na'vi River Journey - Totally Unique
(but not amazing).
Festival of the Lion King - Totally Unique (GREAT SHOW!)
Kilamanjaro Safaris - Totally Unique
Gorilla Falls Trail - Totally Unique
(walking trail)
Conservation Station - (Basic train ride through animal care facilities then a stop at the vet clinic and petting area)
Kali River Rapids - Like Grizzly River Run, but shorter
Maharaja Jungle Trek - Totally Unique (walking trail)
Feathered Friends in Flight - Totally Unique (Well, it's a typical show where birds clip dollar bills from audience, etc.)
Expedition Everest - Totally Unique
Finding Nemo: The Big Blue and Beyond - Totally Unique
(Stage Musical - I actually haven't seen the new version)
Dinosaur - So, not "totally unique" because it is essentially Indiana Jones, but the theming is very different.
TriceraTop Spin - basic spinner like Dumbo

I *think* that covers it, but I didn't look anything up. I will edit if I think of anything. I hope that's helpful!

Last edited:
Okay, let's go the opposite direction:

Magic Kingdom:
Swiss Family Treehouse - unchanged but very similar
Jungle Cruise - Slightly Longer with temple tunnel, which weas removed from the DL version
Magic Carpets of Aladdin - basic spinner (see Dumbo)
Enchanted Tiki Room - shorter show without fountain segment
Pirates of the Caribbean: Significantly shorter, one drop (still good though, but not nearly as goo as DL version)
Tiana's Bayou Adventure - Unknown at this time, but the boats at MK are wider and seat side-by-side.
Big Thunder Mountain - No projection effects but essentially the same
Tom Sawyer Island - It doesn't have the "Prates Lair" installations but is similar
Country Bear Jamboree - Closed for a new show
Liberty Belle Riverboat - Same as the Mark Twain essentially
Haunted Mansion - It is somewhat different and the ride is slightly longer (the walk after the stretching room is shorter)
Peter Pan's Flight - Very similar with some slight improvements and a slightly different order
it's a small world - Basically similar, no Disney characters
Mickey's Philharmagic - Larger screen but same movie
Prince Charming Regal Carousel - basically the same thing, but I've never seen Mary Poppins and the band ride
The Many Adventures of Whinnie the Pooh - Very similar, slightly different ride vehicles
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Totally unique
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid - ride is the same as the DCA version but the queue is significantly fancier.
Dumbo The flying Elepahnt - the same but there are two of them.
The Barnstormer featuring the Great Goofini - It is unique, but similar-ish to Gadget Coaster.
Tomorrowland Speedway - Much shorter than Autopia
TRON: Lightcycle/Run - Totally Unique
Space Mountain - very different than DL's Space Mountain, but the ride system is actually that of The Matterhorn.
Carousel of Progress - Totally Unique (thought used to be at DL)
Astro Orbiter - essentially the same but at the top of Rocket Tower Plaza
The PeopleMover - Totally Unique (Yep, still got this!)
Buzz Lightywar Space Ranger Spin - Similar, but guns are on swivels attached to the car and targeting is not as good.
Monsters Inc. Laught Floor - Totally Unique (Show with live, improv emlements)

EPCOT:
Space Ship Earth - Totally Unique
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - Totally Unique
Mission: SPACE - Totally Unique

Test Track - Same ride system as Radiator Springs Racers, but shorter and no side-by-side race (actually slightly faster)
Journey into Imagination - Totally Unique
Soarin' - exactly the same
Living witht he Land - Totally Unique
The Seas with Nemo and Friend - Totally Unique
Gran Fiesta Tour featuring the Three Caballeros - Totally Unique
Frozen Ever After - Totally Unique
Wondrous China - Totally Unique
(Circle Vision)
Beauty and the Beast Sing Along - Totally Unique
Impressions de France - Totally Unique
(movie only shown sometimes in the same theater as the Sing Along)
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure - Totally Unique (well it's in Paris)
Canada Far & Wide - Totally Unique (Circle Vision)

Hollywood Studios:
Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - Same ride, significantly shorter and less interesting queue
Frozen Sing Along - Totally Unique
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular - Totally Unique
(worth seeing if you never have - hasn't changed in years).
Star Tours - exactly the same
Muppet-Vision 3-D - Totally Unique (Now anyway, DCA used to have it and it was identical).
Rise of the Resistance - exactly the same
Milennium Falcon Sumggler's Run - exaxtly the same (all of SWGE is practically identical)
Alien Swirling Saucers - the same as Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Slinky Dog Dash - Totally Unique
Toy Story Midway Mania - exactly the same
One Man's Dream - Totally Unique (small museum and movie, actually pretty cool)
Disney Jr. Dance Show - I honestly don't know, but I assume very similar to the one at DCA
Rock'n Roller Coaster Featuring Aerosmith - Totally Unique (comparable to Incredicoaster)
Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy - Totally Unique (show)
Tower of Terror - Okay, so not Totally Unique, but it was always a bit different than the DCA version and worth doing.
Beauty and the Beast - Totally Unique
Fantasmic! - It is somewhat different - staging and seating is better, some of the segments are completely different.

Animal Kingdom - Totally Unique 🤣 - Okay, I'll go a little deeper
It's Tough to be a Bug - Totally Unique (but DCA used to have it)
Avatar: Flight of Passage - Totally Unique
Na'vi River Journey - Totally Unique
(but not amazing).
Festival of the Lion King - Totally Unique (GREAT SHOW!)
Kilamanjaro Safaris - Totally Unique
Gorilla Falls Trail - Totally Unique
(walking trail)
Conservation Station - (Basic train ride through animal care facilities then a stop at the vet clinic and petting area)
Kali River Rapids - Like Grizzly River Run, but shorter
Maharaja Jungle Trek - Totally Unique (walking trail)
Feathered Friends in Flight - Totally Unique (Well, it's a typical show where birds clip dollar bills from audience, etc.)
Expedition Everest - Totally Unique
Finding Nemo: The Big Blue and Beyond - Totally Unique
(Stage Musical - I actually haven't seen the new version)
Dinosaur - So, not "totally unique" because it is essentially Indiana Jones, but the theming is very different.
TriceraTop Spin - basic spinner like Dumbo

I *think* that covers it, but I didn't look anything up. I will edit if I think of anything. I hope that's helpful!
You're awesome! Thank you. This gives me a starting point.

Do you have an opinion on the shows that are not to miss compared to DL (assuming Fantasmic will be back at DL next month)? Or some of the "enchanted extras" or tours that won't break the bank but are cool? If not appropriate for this thread, feel free to throw it in the WDW thread where I originally asked the question. https://www.disboards.com/threads/planning-possible-april-2025-visit.3944572/#post-65452027

You're awesome! Thank you. This gives me a starting point.

Do you have an opinion on the shows that are not to miss compared to DL (assuming Fantasmic will be back at DL next month)? Or some of the "enchanted extras" or tours that won't break the bank but are cool? If not appropriate for this thread, feel free to throw it in the WDW thread where I originally asked the question. https://www.disboards.com/threads/planning-possible-april-2025-visit.3944572/#post-65452027

My favorite shows at WDW are:

Festival of the Lion King - I love this. It is presented as theater-in-the-round and is well worth the time - super fun!

Fantasmic! - I actually have always liked the WDW version a little better, but that's a controversial topic. They did make recent changes, but compared to the changes they made at DL a few years back, I much prefer it now. The DL version changed some orchestrations, and I jsut wasn't into it. It is still similar, but if you really love F! it is probably worth seeing.

Happily Ever After - This is the MK fireworks, but it is really, really great - one of their best shows in my estimation.

I don't really do tours and such, but If I did do one, I would probably go for the Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom. You get to go out into the safari area on foot! If you are looking for something less expensive, I hear good things about Behind the Seeds, which takes you into the hydroponic greenhouse from Living with the Land. They actually grow food there that is used for the various restaurants and festivals at Epcot!

Or some of the "enchanted extras" or tours that won't break the bank but are cool?
I wouldn’t recommend tours to a first time WDW visitor unless they were staying at least two weeks. There’s so much to do just in the parks, plus I recommend people keep a couple of days free to see some of the resorts, a water park or two, and Disney Springs.

We are back from our first ever trip to Disneyland. We only had one day and we didn't buy Genie+. We stayed at Howard Johnson, which was actually very convenient. It was also a short walk from HoJo to park entrance. Because of that, lines got very long after noon and we weren't able to do a lot of rides.

We were very impressed with Pirates and Indianna Jones. The standby line for Mickey and Minnie RR was 100 times better than in WDW. TSM seemed identical to us. The railroad and monorail are much better at WDW. We missed the PeopleMover. ;)

CarsLand and Pixar Place looked fantastic at night. It was just about the best part of California Adventure. We enjoyed World of Color.

Overall, I liked having so many trees and plenty of places to eat at DL. We were often lost, though, and had to ask people for directions, even though we had a paper map. I'm glad we went there but I'm not sure we will ever be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter