• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rider Swap Rules

Its because its from 2018 and the OLD way of how things used to be done.

Here is the updated response:
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...fast-passes-october-trip-disney-world-408490/
Again with all of this your mileage will vary. Me personally I have FP+ for everyone and don't want to take any chances. All of this is backed up by first hand reports on this board if I am not mistaken from when I looked 2 months back.
Thanks, sorry. And this is even more recent than the one that I corrected my post with. I'm not trying to argue with anyone about this, I'm just telling y'all that this is the new rule. Whether a CM follows it or not is one thing but it is 100% the new rule. Everyone must have a FP. If you don't, you may be denied entry. That's all.

We will have a whole family group of 12 . We'll have a couple of littles with tickets and a 2 year old. Say the group wants to go on FOP. Who would need FP? Can the one adult and the littles use a FP for the boat ride and then the adult go on FOP with one or two from the first group?

And what happens when the group breaks up. There are three groups in two rooms. LIttles are in both rooms.

Last edited:
We will have a whole family group of 12 . We'll have a couple of littles with tickets and a 2 year old. Say the group wants to go on FOP. Who would need FP? Can the one adult and the littles use a FP for the boat ride and then the adult go on FOP with one or two from the first group?
Technically, every ticketed guest will need a FP (all guests 3 or older). Though, I would think a CM would be lenient on children not having them. They may allow a couple of you to have them and grant Rider Switch no problem. The rule is everyone needs to have it, but hit or miss on if that's actually enforced.

And what happens when the group breaks up. There are three groups in two rooms. LIttles are in both rooms.

You can definitely split up; especially if the ticketed children don't meet the height requirement. Which room they are in makes no difference as far as fast passes. (Just because your in the same room doesn't mean you have to all have the same fastpasses).

As far as the one adult taking the kids on another ride and then getting digital rider swap - imho probably but this seems to vary day to day attraction to attraction. If there is one person that is ok with not riding then I would take the chance and take the kids on the boat ride knowing it would be 50/50 on the digital rider swap pass to ride again. If they do issue the digital rider swap to the non riding adult then yes 2 people from the original party can be selected to re-ride.

But again, if you contact WDW directly, their official stance is every one needs a FP+.

Just for kicks, I decided to start a chat with Disney asking about this. Sorry for the crappy pics. I was chatting on the computer and don't know how to screenshot so had to take pics with my phone of the computer screen.

IMG_20190824_193212.jpgIMG_20190824_193231.jpgIMG_20190824_193243.jpgIMG_20190824_193313.jpgIMG_20190824_193326.jpg

Crap, I don't know why the pics are sideways or how to flip them. The last pic shows where I specifically ask him to confirm that the waiting adult does not need FP for rider swap, even if those riding first used FP and he replied, "That is correct."

I'm not trying to discount anyone's experiences, but rather point out that Disney gives conflicting info. You received an email saying FP was needed for Group 2, while I just chatted with a Disney rep who said the exact opposite.

As for Moms Panel, here is a link where they seem to indicate that only 1 person needs to get rider swap added to their band and that will allow 2 others to join them when they enter the queue. That's not the way it works. Everyone who will be using the rider swap in Group 2 needs to get it added to their band. You can't just do it for one person and bring along two others. Obviously that discrepancy isn't related to the FP issue, but it shows that they don't always give correct info. In this case, if someone were going solely off of what Mom's Panel said and only got it added to the waiting adult's band, they'd probably be a little disappointed when they go to ride with the rider swap and can't bring their kids along for a second ride.
https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney...ly-trip-july-year-old-extended-family-402824/
Back to the FP/rider swap issue, it really doesn't matter what an email, chat, or Mom's Panel says. All that matters is what the particular ride CM allows, which is what I think the OP was trying to ask in their post concerning what peoples' recent experiences were.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we can all agree that the policy is unclear and it will come down to whatever the CM decides.

Like I said, back in February almost every CM did not even think twice about it and just gave the RS to the people in Group 2 no questions asked.

The rumors of the policy and/or enforcement changing are always out there and I was hoping to hear of any recent experiences that would give an indication of whether CMs have been told to stop giving RS to people who do not have a FP and are actually following through on it.

LIttles are in both rooms.

I always get tickled when I see people using the new trend of calling their kids “littles”. A little has always been the term used by those who practice BDSM to describe their submissives (volunteer sex slaves).

The rumors of the policy and/or enforcement changing are always out there and I was hoping to hear of any recent experiences that would give an indication of whether CMs have been told to stop giving RS to people who do not have a FP and are actually following through on it.

You will always have the people who scream out against something and try to make it look bigger than it is because they are afraid someone is getting an unfair advantage (when they are not).

It absolutely is an unfair advantage. But I couldn’t care less.

It’s clear you do care because you keep trying to argue something that multiple people are telling you is not the case.

Family A, B, C, and baby approach a ride with a standby que of 40 minutes and FP que of 15 mins. They get rider swap.

A and B enter through the FP que. C waits with the baby. C and the baby are now in a virtual que for the same 15 mins as A and B.

A and B load the ride, enjoy the ride, and then disembark to walk back to meet up with C and the baby. We’ll say 10 mins. This now means C and baby are waiting for 25 minutes.

It’s now C’s turn to ride so they enter the FP line via RS (no FP needed). C now waits a second time (another 15 mins) to get on the ride. This puts them at a 40 min wait.

The standby que is a 40 min wait.

C waited 40 mins to ride the ride.

A and B are now waiting the additional 15 mins in a virtual que while C is in the FP que and another 10 mins for C to ride the ride. A and B also end up with a wait time of 40 mins.

No one received any special privileges or used some imaginary loophole.

In fact, RS families are at a disadvantage because the family can’t all ride together. This means no ride photos with the whole family. It means one parent not getting to experience another child’s first ride.

But you keep on complaining about how they’re abusing the system and getting special treatment.

It’s clear you do care because you keep trying to argue something that multiple people are telling you is not the case.

Family A, B, C, and baby approach a ride with a standby que of 40 minutes and FP que of 15 mins. They get rider swap.

A and B enter through the FP que. C waits with the baby. C and the baby are now in a virtual que for the same 15 mins as A and B.

A and B load the ride, enjoy the ride, and then disembark to walk back to meet up with C and the baby. We’ll say 10 mins. This now means C and baby are waiting for 25 minutes.

It’s now C’s turn to ride so they enter the FP line via RS (no FP needed). C now waits a second time (another 15 mins) to get on the ride. This puts them at a 40 min wait.

A and B are now waiting the additional 15 mins in a virtual que while C is in the FP que and another 10 mins for C to ride the ride. A and B also end up with a wait time of 40 mins.

In fact, RS families are at a disadvantage because the family can’t all ride together. This means no ride photos with the whole family. It means one parent not getting to experience another child’s first ride.

But you keep on complaining about how they’re abusing the system and getting special treatment.
First of all, there are actual reports of people being turned away when all guests over 3 do not have a valid FP+. I have experienced this. This is indisputable. It has happened and its frequency is increasing. It is unequivocally the new rule. Whether it is enforced or not is a completely different thing. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Depends on the CM.

Secondly, I'm not talking about the Mom and Dad and their two kids. I'm talking about the large family groups that abuse the system so that everyone can ride something without all needing a FP+. Then it becomes special treatment. My guess is this is when the CMs are strict on the "all need FP" rule and not in the case when it's just a family trying to enjoy their day at Disney.

Take a group of 6 adults with 2 young kids trying to ride FOP. 3 of the adults manage to grab a FP+ but the others cannot. 3 ride FOP in Group 1 and the other 3 ride FOP in Group 2.

Group 2 was just given a free FP simply because they have young kids with them.

You're telling me Group 2 is at as much of a disadvantage as those waiting on 240 minute lines for FOP? It is a loophole that they are closing and it is indisputable. It is a matter of fact.

So again, the advice I'm giving is to not rely on the old way of doing things it as it may not work anymore.

Also, to OP. As long as you are online early, you should not have trouble getting FP+ for your entire party at 60 days out. It is an all or nothing type thing. I've seen no discernible difference between getting a FP+ for 1 and a FP+ for 9 at 60 days out. Especially 60+3.

First of all, there are actual reports of people being turned away when all guests over 3 do not have a valid FP+. I have experienced this. This is indisputable. It has happened and its frequency is increasing.

No one is disputing that you experienced it. There are always rogue CM's.
What proof do you have that the frequency is increasing? The boards are overwhelmingly in favor of the opposite.

I'm talking about the large family groups that abuse the system so that everyone can ride something without all needing a FP+. Then it becomes special treatment.

Doesnt matter if 3 people or 12. The same logic still applies.

Also, to OP. As long as you are online early, you should not have trouble getting FP+ for your entire party at 60 days out. It is an all or nothing type thing. I've seen no discernible difference between getting a FP+ for 1 and a FP+ for 9 at 60 days out. Especially 60+3.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not worried about being able to get the FPs I want. I am sure I will be able to get most of what I want 60 days out.

If group 2 does not need FP then that would affect whether I get the people in Group 2 a FP or not. If I know the people in Group 2 can get on with a RS then I will save their FPs for something else. That is why I’m asking the question.

I know some feel that is unfair, and I can’t say I completely disagree with that, but if the CMs allow it and it helps my family go about our day more easily then how can I not take advantage.

Do you have any links to other experiences verifying that the policy has changed and is being enforced more stringently? When I went in February, there was one CM who gave me a problem, but every single other time I tried it was allowed with no problems. If there were multiple reports of them cracking down then I would probably not take any chances and just get a FP for everyone.

I will be going to disney for the first time with kids (2 and 5). The way you explained it makes sense, but now I see there is no advantage to the other parent and baby, who would indeed have to wait the 40 min as you pointed out. To avoid such long wait times ( our kids and us don't have patience) me more than anyone else, is there a time where FP ques are not 15 min but just a walk in? would that be early in the mornings?

I am hoping to get FOP FP 60 days out but have read that its impossible to get that ride FP

I will be going to disney for the first time with kids (2 and 5). The way you explained it makes sense, but now I see there is no advantage to the other parent and baby, who would indeed have to wait the 40 min as you pointed out. To avoid such long wait times ( our kids and us don't have patience) me more than anyone else, is there a time where FP ques are not 15 min but just a walk in? would that be early in the mornings?

I am hoping to get FOP FP 60 days out but have read that its impossible to get that ride FP

It varies a lot and there are so many factors that can influence it from how busy the parks are to if the ride has broken down earlier (causing some FP holders from earlier times to be riding with an anytime FP), to how popular of a ride it is, to just sheer luck. A bunch of people might use their FP right ahead of you making the line a bit longer than normal. I imagine FP lines for Kali are shorter on cold days since you usually get wet on the ride. FP lines for Barnstormer are often a walk-on before park close since it's a kiddie coaster and many families with young kids leave the park earlier. Some FP lines can be almost a walk-on, on occasion they can take more than 15 mins, but generally you're probably looking at spending 10 mins in FP lines.

Also remember that some rides will take longer to get through due to pre-shows or long exit queues. Rider swap is not really a quick process when you have to do that twice. Whoever is staying back with the too short kid(s) can do whatever during that time though, like get a snack, use the bathroom, ride something else nearby, go shopping, etc. You don't have to just stand there bored waiting. Use that time to do something else and it helps to pass the time (and can also be an effective use of time if you're doing something needed like a bathroom stop rather than spending more time doing that when everyone's done riding).

Lastly, no body really had endless amounts of patience or wants to wait for things, but that's honestly such a huge part of Disney that you may want to come to terms with it before your trip. You will likely have to wait in lines for the bathroom, for snacks and quick service meals, to be called back after checking in for ADRs, bus lines, lines to get in the park... They're everywhere.

To help make waiting easier for the kids, bring some snacks (goldfish, pretzels, fruit snacks, etc) to occupy them and hold them over when they are hungry. Maybe have a couple of small toys that they can play with, show them pics from the trip on your phone, discuss what they like about various rides/attractions or what they want to do next, play iSpy, look for Hidden Mickeys in lines or point out the little details. My son at 2 was obsessed with the unique light fixtures in many of the queues. Finding something to distract them with often helps with the boredom in lines.

The nice thing about Rider Swap is that you don't have to actually wait for the first party at the ride -you can take the non rider(s) and do something else. There is often a playground close by, you could do a nearby ride that has lesser waits, go for a snack, diaper change, see a show etc. There was a thread recently right here on the family board that listed things to do nearby many of the rides - lots of great suggestions if you can find it. Then when the first party is done, meet up and swap places :)

In previous trips, I never had a problem with the 2nd group of riders not having a FP. This July, a CM at Splash Mountain told me the rules had changed and now everyone needed do, even the 2nd group. I explained that I could find no such announcement from Disney anywhere regarding any change and that all the other rides were not enforcing that. He said he would let it slide, and I suggested that Disney make the policy clear to all because this is a topic that is heavily debated and questioned as it IS very confusing and there ARE mixed messages.

This is a exactly what we plan to do. We are a family of 5 and the twins DDs4 are too short to ride FOP. I had originally booked us all on FOP even though the girls are too short because of the rumors about the new rules. But then I realized we’d be throwing away 2 FP and the girls wouldn't get to ride anything in Pandora if we did that. So I split us up and swapped DH and DDs4 FP to Navi so the girls wouldn’t feel left out. If the CM doesn’t give us a RS for DH to do FOP then oh well. That’s a chance I chose to take in lieu of wasting 2 FP and making my 4yos wait around an hour and not be able to ride anything.

Last edited:
In previous trips, I never had a problem with the 2nd group of riders not having a FP. This July, a CM at Splash Mountain told me the rules had changed and now everyone needed do, even the 2nd group. I explained that I could find no such announcement from Disney anywhere regarding any change and that all the other rides were not enforcing that. He said he would let it slide, and I suggested that Disney make the policy clear to all because this is a topic that is heavily debated and questioned as it IS very confusing and there ARE mixed messages.

Thanks for the info! How many times would you say you were successful in getting the RS for group 2?

Last time I went I also had one time that a CM gave me a problem, but she also let us go when I explained it was a misunderstanding. I’d say there were 6 or 7 other times that they gave us the RS with no problem at all.

Thanks for the info! How many times would you say you were successful in getting the RS for group 2?

Last time I went I also had one time that a CM gave me a problem, but she also let us go when I explained it was a misunderstanding. I’d say there were 6 or 7 other times that they gave us the RS with no problem at all.

Splash Mtn gave me the hard time. It was the only ride to do so. We had no issues with Soarin, RnR, ToT, SDD, Space Mtn, or 7DMT. Those were the only others we rode with height restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter