River Country pools being filled in?

I don't know... All this talk about Zika.... We were at the fort in the middle of August. We had brought repellent, but never once used it. I recall on the second full day there seeing it in the cabinet (DW actually bought an EXTRA can to bring with us) and thinking... "Hmmm, we should probably put this on." but never did. Not a single complaint about the bugs or even a bite. We had no issues. Not saying it's not an issue, but we didn't have any problems at all with bugs at the Fort on our last trip. Glad too, because I hate wearing all that DEET. :crazy2:

Some great pics in that article, which now gives me the creeps! :faint: Hard to believe I, and family, have been in all those areas and had some great times - was inviting and beautiful in its day! :beach: Kiddies loved going out on that rope and dropping into the water.

Actually, the article 'does' say filling with cement - doesn't make sense to me either. :confused3

Honestly, in all our years staying at FW, have never remembered even 'seeing' a mosquito - guess we don't smell or taste good - thankfully!! Although we had our share of bites in so. LA.

It's on the backside of the rock facade. If you like, I can get you admittance when next you visit.
Nice try there Tiggerdad but You can't fool me, I'm a moron and don't you forget it!! I already figured out you plan to lure me there with the promise of a guided tour when in reality your fiendish, furry, felonious little minions kidnap me shackle me to a re=purposed wine press. Forcing me to squeeze out acorn juice for them to drink and swill while they sit around celebrating their assorted little nefarious victories and sing the praises of their master

Nice try there Tiggerdad but You can't fool me, I'm a moron and don't you forget it!! I already figured out you plan to lure me there with the promise of a guided tour when in reality your fiendish, furry, felonious little minions kidnap me shackle me to a re=purposed wine press. Forcing me to squeeze out acorn juice for them to drink and swill while they sit around celebrating their assorted little nefarious victories and sing the praises of their master

Um, yep. That's pretty much the plan.

Okay, from the articles information I can see filling it in for safety purposes such as a child drowning or something along those lines,
I agree with this. Even with the proper signage and safety fences some people are curious about these abandoned areas and will put themselves at risk for the sake of a video or picture. i can't imagine why they would have let RC sit in that condition for all those years creating such a big liability for themselves.

i can't imagine why they would have let RC sit in that condition for all those years creating such a big liability for themselves.
That is the question that has been asked for years on these forums. General consensus is Disney doesn't spend money on anything unless they need to. Discovery Island, between the Fort and the Contemporary, is another example. It is mostly overgrown now, but if you look close on a boat ride, much of it is still sitting there.

River Country isn't much of a hazard unless you go out of your way. There are reasonable height fences and unless you know where to look, its easy to miss even walking along the trail to Wilderness Lodge. The pics Tiggerdad posted were taken from the "public" side of the fence without much risk. I've been back there on the dirt walking trail (closed now for the WL expansion along the water). The first time I was on my road bike with my DS. I was paying attention to not hit anything when I glanced over and saw a fence. Didn't even realize it was RC until I went back the next day on foot and paid more attention.

j

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter