River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
great pics 1 pic pls seeing the post twice is kinda weird 2 me why do we need the same pic twice?

I dunno i guess the same reason you posted this for no good reason.:cool1:

I rather like it when someoneis talking about a previous post or picture that they add it to there quote so i dont have to go back and find it.

I rather like it when someoneis talking about a previous post or picture that they add it to there quote so i dont have to go back and find it.

I dont know what the "RULE" is maybe some smart camper will know!

There are no rules to including a picture in a quote......some people just feel like they HAVE to post something but have nothing interesting to say...so they complain about ANYTHING!!

So this has me asking myself....What all is closed/not finished on an extended basis at the world and still exist?

River Country
Discovery Island
Pop Century phase II
???

Its sad to see it look like that. You'd think they'd at least get rid of the old slides, rocks, etc because if they ever want to make it into anything one day, its gonna cost quite an amount of $ to clean that up. Anyway, I wished I'd gotten a chance to go to River Country in 2000 when I went, but my parents said no. :(

Thats a great picture....
And makes the place look like it was a lot of fun.

Older photos are interesting to look at and see the changes....
In your photo seems all the boys swim trunks are loose fit and one solid color..would not be the same today....I just find those little things interesting

Would have to look back but i bet there are almost all one piece bathing suits as well.

DS is up on the platform waiting her turn....she's in the one-piece pink swimsuit and wearing goggles...

Thanks for sharing the GREAT pic, disneyholic family!

You know, I think what I'm coming to love best about this thread is that it's sparked people to share their past experiences and photos from RC. I never made it there as a kid, but always wanted to and love seeing what it was like in the day.

that picture was taken in 1995....that was the year DD, DS and I went to WDW on our own....DH couldn't get away from work that year...
we were at WDW for 3 weeks and went to RC several times....we also went to BB and TL lots of times, but RC was much less crowded by then (since everyone preferred the newer waterparks).....

i'm really surprised i took this picture....i ususally don't take a camera with me to the waterparks, since i'm always in the water too....maybe i specifically took it that time to try to get some special shots like this one...

we went to RC every summer - usually several times each vist - right up to 2 months before they closed it forever, though we had no idea at the time that it was being closed forever.....we were shocked and saddened when we realized....

So this has me asking myself....What all is closed/not finished on an extended basis at the world and still exist?

River Country
Discovery Island
Pop Century phase II
???

Closed but structure still there:

The Odyssey Restaurant at EPCOT

The Wonders of Life Pavilion

Petting farm at FW

Swamp trail at FW

Railroad in FW (a few traces remain)

Ariel's restaurant at Caribbeach Beach Resort

The Kitchen Kabaret replaced by Food Rocks and close to make room for Soarin'

Horizions Pavilion replaced by Mission Space

Name changed, but still operating:

Dixie Landings AKA Port Orleans still operating

Disney Inn AKA SOG still operating

Disney Institute AKA Saratoga Springs still operating

The Good Turn restaurant AKA the Garden Grill

Symbiosis AKA the Circle of Life

Makin' Memories/Magic Journeys morphed into Captain EO that then morped into "Honey I Shrunk the Audience"

The Universe of Energy has morphed into Ellen's Energy Adventure

CommuniCore morped into Innovations

Hydrolators, The Seas film, and Seacab morphed into The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

World of Motion morphed into Test Track

There are many more like Millenium village and some of the prior Illuminations shows and Main Street Electrical Light parade that I first saw back in the 70's when it debuted at DL, but the all the above I remember except for the RR at FW.

Larry

World of Motion morphed into Test Track

There are many more like Millenium village and some of the prior Illuminations shows and Main Street Electrical Light parade that I first saw back in the 70's when it debuted at DL, but the all the above I remember except for the RR at FW.

Larry

That's an Impressive List..and a sad list but I guess to have progress we must have change
But on a funny side... If that's your Car plate as your avatar.. I now know who had it.. I was trying to get that same plate
:rotfl2:

Ariel's restaurant at Caribbeach Beach Resort

Larry

Actually, Ariel's was at Beach Club

and you missed

Bonfamille's at Port Orleans, French Quarter

Toad morphed into Winnie the Pooh

Mickey's Revue morphed into Lion King that morphed into Philharmagic

Jungle Book show morphed into Tarzan which morphed into Nemo

Mission to the Moon/Mars morphed into Alien Encounter which morphed into Stitch

Several Circle Vision stuff is now Monster's Inc

What else??

That's an Impressive List..and a sad list but I guess to have progress we must have change
But on a funny side... If that's your Car plate as your avatar.. I now know who had it.. I was trying to get that same plate
:rotfl2:

Yes, that is actually on my Van currently and I've had it since 1986 and was on our Volvo station wagon until I sold it in 2002 and transferred it to our Van.

Larry

Actually, Ariel's was at Beach Club

Yep, messed up and the sign for Ariel's was still there when we ate at Beaches and Cream last week.

and you missed

Bonfamille's at Port Orleans, French Quarter

Never ate there, but remember the name.

Toad morphed into Winnie the Pooh

Yep remember that, but didn't go thru all the MK stuff

Mickey's Revue morphed into Lion King that morphed into Philharmagic

Yep remember those too and while Philharmagic is good the Lion King was good too

Jungle Book show morphed into Tarzan which morphed into Nemo

Mission to the Moon/Mars morphed into Alien Encounter which morphed into Stitch

Yep remember all those and Alien Encounter was the best IMHO

Several Circle Vision stuff is now Monster's Inc

Yes, and this is one where the current one is a little better than the previous version
What else??

How could we have forgotten "Submarine Voyage" :confused3

Or the boat ride in AK that I thought was great. The docks are still there and some are now used for character greetings.

I even thought the water/parasailing show at EPCOT that they did for several years was good.

Also, the keelboats/canoes ... I might have DL and WDW mixed up on what is where and what is still open. Our last time at DL was back in 2004 and was only for like 4 days in the parks and was where we first did Soarin'.

When you can name and remember all these "lost" morphed things at WDW means you've been there too many times and for too long if that's possible:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

Larry

Another lost attraction with traces still remaining.....the Swan boats at MK. The dock is still there near the castle. Those were so cool.

Another lost attraction with traces still remaining.....the Swan boats at MK. The dock is still there near the castle. Those were so cool.

Now that is one I never new existed and we all missed the Skyway between Tomorrowland and Fantsyland.:rotfl2:

Larry

Now that is one I never new existed and we all missed the Skyway between Tomorrowland and Fantsyland.:rotfl2:

Larry

OH Snap We sure did..

What about... "Mr Toads Wild Ride" what is that is now.. ?? Is that Pooh Or Snow White ??

That Leaving was a shame. I need to get back to DL to ride it again.

oooh, those abandoned RC pics are so eerie!! i had been there countless times during my College Program summers, i have the best memories of it.

one time when i was there, Goofy came out near the main pool area dressed in a bathing suit (i think this was on or near the 4th of July in the late 90s), and i kid you not, he went up the stairs to the slides, waved to everyone from up there, and then went down the slide & into the pool, where he then hung out for a bit & played with a beach ball with the guests for a bit. i know i have pics somewhere in my storage unit - someday i will get them out & share them!

it's those old, classic, character interactions that were part of the charm of RC - so very sad it is gone.

thanks for taking those pics and sharing them here, and for helping us all to stir up such wonderful memories!!

I remember Goofy coming out to interact also in the late 90s. I should try to find those pictures too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter