Riviera vs AK for the points?

djtx

Earning My Ears
Curious - with a family of 5, would you choose a 1 bedroom at Riviera over a 2 bedroom AK Savanna view?

• 1 Bedroom 1Bath vs 2 Bedroom 3 Bath
  • Skyliner access vs bus transport
  • Relax at resort looking at animals vs quick access to Epcot & HS
Like the previous poster said, what are you looking for? A relaxing trip or faster paced trip with parks as a priority? What do the family of 5 want to do more?

I don't love AK personally, but in this situation I would go with a two-bedroom there as the added space will be welcome by all I'm sure. It is a bit more isolated and relies on buses 100%, but if you have a car, then that helps quite a bit. It depends on what you value more: added space or easier access/proximity/transportation to some parks.

AK,,,,Kidini,,,3 bathrooms,,,
Agreed. Although not clear why Riv would be a 1BR and AKL a 2BR. The 1BR at Kidani could sleep 5 and have the second bathroom. And definitely get the savannah view - helps with the enjoyment!

We're very slanted when comparing these 2 resorts, so it might not help - AKL is our favorite, while Riv, not so much. But many love Riv and the location can be extremely favorable if you spend time at EP and/or HS.

Agreed. Although not clear why Riv would be a 1BR and AKL a 2BR. The 1BR at Kidani could sleep 5 and have the second bathroom. And definitely get the savannah view - helps with the enjoyment!

We're very slanted when comparing these 2 resorts, so it might not help - AKL is our favorite, while Riv, not so much. But many love Riv and the location can be extremely favorable if you spend time at EP and/or HS.
I’d guess it’s about point costs and/or availability, I just looked at a random week & AKV Savanna view costs fewer points than Riv. preferred view.
I don’t know how familiar OP is w/ AKV, but it’s important to note that Kidani & Jambo are very different. Jambo’s 2 bedrooms are all lock offs & only have 2 bathrooms whereas Kidani’s 2 bedrooms can be a lock off or a dedicated & all have 3 bathrooms. The Kidani dedicated 2 bedrooms have 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom which IMO are more comfortable than the sleeper sofa in the studio portion of the Jambo & Kidani lock off 2 br.s.
I’m also biased & prefer AKV, especially Jambo w/ its soaring lobby, & the many quiet & serene spots to hangout throughout both Jambo & Kidani compared to the cramped Riv. lobby & limited grounds. I also prefer the lush foliage around the two pools at AKL/V v. the open astroturf ’landscaping’ at Riviera. But we take trips that last 10+ days, so we can relax & not fret about ’losing’ time on the buses v. taking the generally faster Skyliner to Epcot/DHS (assuming the weather hasn’t shut them down.)

I’d guess it’s about point costs and/or availability, I just looked at a random week & AKV Savanna view costs fewer points than Riv. preferred view.
I don’t know how familiar OP is w/ AKV, but it’s important to note that Kidani & Jambo are very different. Jambo’s 2 bedrooms are all lock offs & only have 2 bathrooms whereas Kidani’s 2 bedrooms can be a lock off or a dedicated & all have 3 bathrooms. The Kidani dedicated 2 bedrooms have 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom which IMO are more comfortable than the sleeper sofa in the studio portion of the Jambo & Kidani lock off 2 br.s.
I’m also biased & prefer AKV, especially Jambo w/ its soaring lobby, & the many quiet & serene spots to hangout throughout both Jambo & Kidani compared to the cramped Riv. lobby & limited grounds. I also prefer the lush foliage around the two pools at AKL/V v. the open astroturf ’landscaping’ at Riviera. But we take trips that last 10+ days, so we can relax & not fret about ’losing’ time on the buses v. taking the generally faster Skyliner to Epcot/DHS (assuming the weather hasn’t shut them down.)
That's why I wasn't sure why OP was comparing an AKL 2BR to Riv 1BR - not similar points, but similar rooms at Kidani and Riv.

I have a hard time recommending anything but RIV because it is my favorite...and AKV is my least favorite. I love the ease to the parks from RIV and if that is a big part of your trip, I say go with RIV.

I have a hard time recommending anything but RIV because it is my favorite...and AKV is my least favorite. I love the ease to the parks from RIV and if that is a big part of your trip, I say go with RIV.
It's good we all have different favorites!! Makes reservations a little bit easier!!

It's good we all have different favorites!! Makes reservations a little bit easier!!
Indeed. And as owners we know we’ll be back & can try other resorts out (except resale Riv & VDH.) I crave a more laid back resort after the hectic parks, thus the ‘towers’ such as BLT & Riviera aren’t high on my list. Probably for the same reason I never wanted to live in a big city & chose to commute during the years I worked in one 😂.
But, I’d probably opt for a 2 br. over a 1 br. w/ a family of 5 irrespective of which resort, especially for a longer visit, but lots of parties of 5 squeeze into the even less spacious studios 🤷‍♀️.

If you have never stayed at AKV, highly recommend. Our favorite resort. It all depends on the makeup of your travel party and what you are looking at in your vacation. AK is our go-to but will change based on our specific plans for that trip.

I hope it made it easier with all these different recommendations :)

I’ve never staid riviera and I own at animal kingdom so I’m obviously a bit biased. That said if I had a car and drive to parks I’d say akv without question. If I was relying on bus transport I could see it being a toss up pending how much time you plan to be resort (more time a resort the more the savanna and the extra space would win out vs skyliner access).

Others have summed up the pros and cons pretty well. It's really all about a few factors:
  • Does room size matter to you?
  • Does easy access to parks matter to you?
  • Does one theming appeal to you more than another?
I love love love Riviera and am very happy with the studios there, but we're (a family of 4) doing a 5-night stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge value at 1-bedroom in September because we get a larger room with a kitchen. And, we wanted a relaxing trip, more pool and animals, and less rushing to parks.

I'm not a big fan of relying on buses, but again, what are your priorities?

What ages would you not do that with? It works well with our kids at 13, 11, 8.
Due to $$ we used to stay 5 in a Days Inn on I drive - when I was young - totally possible but not ideal.

But since a 1BR costs similar points I would do AK 2 br without a second thought - as the $$ is equal.

I would even do 2br OKW / BW over the 1BR RR or VGF

Depends on the make up of your party. We had 5 in a 1br GF which has a similar set up to RIV and the bathroom was a bit of a juggle in the mornings.
Also, how many days? If it is a shorter park-focused trip then RIV makes sense, if you want pool and relaxation time, AK wins.

Own at both and we use them for different reasons. Either way, it is a special place to stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter