ROFR Thread July to Sept 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that applied when RIV went on sale, yet they still chose to restrict the points. There were clearly other motivations in play besides selling the points as fast as they could. They believed they'd make more profit in the long run on restricted points vs non-restricted. Whether it's had the effect they hoped for, none of us can say. Probably hard to even measure it since all of Disney shut down right after it opened.

If they still feel restricted points are the best strategy going forward, I don't see how they would pass up the chance to create 5 million more of them. I haven't seen anything that makes me think they have reconsidered their strategy, but who knows. Personally I'll be shocked if Poly2 isn't separate, but they've shocked me before
They did pass it up with VGF - they could have easily made it separate just like BR/CCV - and they may very well with PVB 2 - but they will not make more money and they risk slower sales.

This is what everyone gets wrong - 100% of points are sold directly from Disney. There are no resale points on the market that were not already sold by Disney. They already made their profit off of the Poly 1 points and they don't care if you sell them back and forth to each other.
I think they care a great deal. This is demonstrated by the imposition of restrictions and Disney continuing to restrict resale further and further. As far as Disney is concerned a resale contract sold is money they are missing.

I think they care a great deal. This is demonstrated by the imposition of restrictions and Disney continuing to restrict resale further and further. As far as Disney is concerned a resale contract sold is money they are missing.
They can not make more money off that resale - they already sold it. They would have to buy it back and raise the price to make money - which they do to a very limited extent.

They can not make more money off that resale - they already sold it. They would have to buy it back and raise the price to make money - which they do to a very limited extent.
But they can make money from me direct instead of me buying resale. If I am buying Poly, I can either buy resale or direct. Disney want me to buy direct. Resale will compete with their market and therefore they want to establish a point of difference. Poly resale not being used at 11 months at the new tower is part of that point of difference.

But they can make money from me direct instead of me buying resale. If I am buying Poly, I can either buy resale or direct. Disney want me to buy direct. Resale will compete with their market and therefore they want to establish a point of difference. Poly resale not being used at 11 months at the new tower is part of that point of difference.

And to add, the more people who do buy direct, the faster the resort sells out.

That means they can pay off any loans faster and then expand and build more DVC resorts to sell sooner…which is what helps them to increase their profits over time.

So while a resort does have a finite number of points to sell, the speed in which it sells can be important.

Plus, a Poly tower with restrictions, being a MK resort may have an easier time selling at a faster pace than RIV.

No - they are different products. Look at VGF. 12k in resale on the market but Disney sold 75k last month. And go back in time before RR and they always outsold resale.

They will make the 207/a point on PVB if they don't restrict - They will make 207/point if they do.

If resale restrictions were driving people to direct sales -They would announce right now that PVB will be restricted.

I think the restriction experiment at RR had mixed results so they are keeping their options open.

No - they are different products. Look at VGF. 12k in resale on the market but Disney sold 75k last month. And go back in time before RR and they always outsold resale.

They will make the 207/a point on PVB if they don't restrict - They will make 207/point if they do.

If resale restrictions were driving people to direct sales -They would announce right now that PVB will be restricted.

I think the restriction experiment at RR had mixed results so they are keeping their options open.
Also, I just bought 250 direct restricted points - but they had to discount them to 182 a point to get me to bite.

We'll know soon enough. The first canary in the mine will likely be VDH. If VDH is not restricted, than I wonder what will happen. I'm guessing they might change their mind about the whole thing. One could hope.

We'll know soon enough. The first canary in the mine will likely be VDH. If VDH is not restricted, than I wonder what will happen. I'm guessing they might change their mind about the whole thing. One could hope.
I don't want to get scolded again - so this will be my last post ( and both sides of this argument do have merit)

I think GC and VDH have default restrictions - let's face it - I am not getting a studio for a week at GC without owing it and the resale is so close to the actual price that restrictions are not even in play.

Reading all of our thoughts on restrictions and how Disney factors them into the equation... Prompted me to think of this...

Does Disney view a 'direct resale' ie points that are up for sale that currently have no restrictions on them (blue card points)... As less/more valuable to them wrt ROFR? ... since once they are sold 3rd party they no longer have to 'pay' perks on them... but if they ROFR blue card points, it doesn't 'cost' them more in perks.

Would be interesting to see the math on rate of ROFR against blue card vs white card points

(Or ROFR is just the drunk lady throwing darts)

Last edited:
Not sure why Disney would make it the same association? Just buy it resale for 25% less. I know I wouldn't even consider buying direct if it is the same association. They will share amenities like CCV/BRV, but my money is on separate association all the way.
Poly2 has to be a separate association. Unlike VGF2, it’ll have different size villas, restaurants and amenities.

Reading all of our thoughts on restrictions and how Disney factors them into the equation... Prompted me to think of this...

Does Disney view a 'direct resale' ie points that are up for sale that currently have no restrictions on them (blue card points)... As less/more valuable to them wrt ROFR? ... since once they are sold 3rd party they no longer have to 'pay' perks on them... but if they ROFR blue card points, it doesn't 'cost' them more in perks.

Would be interesting to see the math on rate of ROFR against blue card vs white card points

(Or ROFR is just the drunk lady throwing darts)

I am not sure that plays a role because an owner may have other contracts that make them eliglbe.

One of the reasons to buy direct is to be eligible for the extras. Since DVD wants people to buy direct, they are increasing those eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter