ROFR Thread Oct to Dec 2020 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that AKL is third most on that list, it seems like all prices are getting through on this Board
I know... it is shocking to me that someone could have an accepted offer for $100 pp for SS or $105 pp for AK and it gets taken in ROFR. At least for SS, I feel like that's overpriced. But I also get that they were letting things go for low $80s for SS over the summer so they need to crack the whip to ensure the value keeps up for owners, which is a good thing. Also I have seen many people posting on DVC Fan that they are buying AK, SS, and OKW direct, so this all makes sense through that lense.

I know... it is shocking to me that someone could have an accepted offer for $100 pp for SS or $105 pp for AK and it gets taken in ROFR. At least for SS, I feel like that's overpriced. But I also get that they were letting things go for low $80s for SS over the summer so they need to crack the whip to ensure the value keeps up for owners, which is a good thing. Also I have seen many people posting on DVC Fan that they are buying AK, SS, and OKW direct, so this all makes sense through that lense.
Do you really think they care about keeping the resale value high for owners? The introduction of the resale restrictions seems to indicate they don’t.

Regarding AK, keep in mind they also haven't bought back any (at least through DVCRM) since March. And the last time they bought one back at $105 was January.

Do you really think they care about keeping the resale value high for owners? The introduction of the resale restrictions seems to indicate they don’t.
I genuinely think it is important that they maintain a high value. Becuase if you can get a resale contract for that cheap (and the prices keep lowering) then I think it would become more and more publicized leading to less and less reason to buy direct. I feel like people sometimes forget that there is a large number of people who don't realize the resale market exists for DVC, and most of us think "oh, if someone buys direct it is because people want the blue card" which is true, but certainly not all of the cases.

It isn't about cracking the whip to keep value up for owners. The are buying back Saratoga Sprigs contracts because they have direct buyers for them.

It isn't about cracking the whip to keep value up for owners. The are buying back Saratoga Sprigs contracts because they have direct buyers for them.
Completely agree the #1 reason they buy back is they have someone wanting to buy direct. You are very correct. That's exactly how I got a direct VGF contract this year without being put on a waiting list. I do think, though, that they would be stupid to let the free market dictate completely if that market made resale contracts an even better deal than they already are.

I feel like one of these brokers isn’t even responding quickly. It’s really annoying. You would think they would let me know if something was available or not. Maybe they are just actually busy? Im having to send follow up emails. I keep second guessing what I want because I’m not getting any response. Also I feel like I’m running out of places to look and now dues will be due for anything that closes after dec 1st for 2021.

I do think, though, that they would be stupid to let the free market dictate completely if that market made resale contracts an even better deal than they already are.
Then how would you explain Aulani? If someone were willing to sell me Aulani for $15/pt, I'm confident it would pass ROFR. Aulani consistently passes at below 1/2 the retail price. Last year, a broker bought a Riviera contract for $100/pt. Where was Disney in supporting those prices?

Disney only props up the market by virtue of buying things back to sell again, but they certainly aren't doing it to support prices as a service to members. The resale restrictions should make it abundantly clear where they stand with concerns around how "the value keeps up for owners."

Then how would you explain Aulani? If someone were willing to sell me Aulani for $15/pt, I'm confident it would pass ROFR. Aulani consistently passes at below 1/2 the retail price. Last year, a broker bought a Riviera contract for $100/pt. Where was Disney in supporting those prices?

Disney only props up the market by virtue of buying things back to sell again, but they certainly aren't doing it to support prices as a service to members. The resale restrictions should make it abundantly clear where they stand with concerns around how "the value keeps up for owners."
Great point! As I said, I don't disagree with any of these points (in fact, I agree) I really wanted to hear people's thoughts :D

P.S. Love the bing bong!

But if the resale price gets too low, they’ll lose direct sale buyers who won’t want to pass up a great resale deal. So it helps them, and it helps DVC owners.

DVC has traditionally not bought back resorts it is currently selling. AUL is still currently selling and is about 50% sold out. It doesn’t make much sense to buy points back, when you have millions to still sell, plus DVC does get some contracts back when owners default on loans. If AUL was on WDW property, it wouldn’t be on resale market for $100 pp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter