• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room amenities cut at AKL?

Well, I can see getting rid of the clock/radio. While I still use clocks at home, most "younger people" don't, relying on their cell phones. Fewer and fewer are even wearing a wristwatch.
Darn young whippersnappers. Get off my lawn!

I will miss the pen and pad, I do occasionally use them to jot things down, especially if I make any last minute dining changes via voice rather then on the website. I guess I'll need to slip a pad and a couple pens into my laptop case. I travel with a laptop because it is easier to do moderating duties and access business related things I may need if there is an issue with one of my properties.

Just like most people use their phone instead of an alarm clock, people use their phones to take notes now too. And most people are brand loyalists with body lotion and try to have it even while away from home.
Plenty of guests don't really use these items and instead take them as cute souvenirs. That makes WDW afraid they won't spend their absolute maximum budget on souvenirs and that's a big NO NO in pencil pusher land. They want every last dollar of guest spending.

We did not get pen or paper at kidani in July but did get 1 lotion in a 1 bedroom over 8 nights. Pretty spartan, frankly. And tacky. I will make sure to “pick up” a pen at guest services or in restaurants in the future.

But you pay your dues for an experience that is to be better than hotels, as you are Owners: does this make any sense?

But you pay your dues for an experience that is to be better than hotels, as you are Owners: does this make any sense?
No, not better. Not even the same as...since until recently we had to pay for extra towels, soap and coffee. But we knew that going in. Don't expect to save a bundle over cash accommodations without some compromises. How many timeshares have ever claimed to be "better" than comparable cash stays? If they do, they are lying. The purpose of a timeshare, any timeshare, is to save money. long term, on accommodations...and generally it applies to returning to the same place year after year.

In cash accommodations, those service costs are simply hidden as part of the room rate.

Last edited:
Well my stay at the Marriott's Marbella Resort: (did I mention it had daily housekeeping) was one of the best resorts I have stayed in. It was reported to be among the best Timeshare resorts in the world. Both Marriotts I have stayed in (including one in Orlando), are far better than anything i have seen at Disney (excluding AKL). There are two (US) Four Seasons timeshare properties, too which would beat Disney.

Maybe we should all hang on to our stash of Disney toiletries in case they’re worth something on eBay one day 😂😂

All joking aside, I can totally respect not putting all of these items in every room as I am sure there are tons of people who don’t use them and they get tossed. But maybe have the items available for those who call and ask??

We just stayed in a 2 bedroom Villas at Grand Floridian. We also had no notepad or pen anywhere in the room(we were trying to leave a note with the tip for Mousekeeping). We searched everywhere thinking it must be a mistake so this post is interesting to read.

No, not better. Not even the same as...since until recently we had to pay for extra towels, soap and coffee. But we knew that going in. Don't expect to save a bundle over cash accommodations without some compromises. How many timeshares have ever claimed to be "better" than comparable cash stays? If they do, they are lying. The purpose of a timeshare, any timeshare, is to save money. long term, on accommodations...and generally it applies to returning to the same place year after year.

In cash accommodations, those service costs are simply hidden as part of the room rate.

I can't understand the "free" extra towels and such but no pen and paper. One room asking for armful of towels a couple of times cost the same about 100 pens and paper.

I can't understand the "free" extra towels and such but no pen and paper. One room asking for armful of towels a couple of times cost the same about 100 pens and paper.
In case you haven't heard, we get free towels, coffee and -- in larger units-- Laundry soap upon request, according to the member website.

In case you haven't heard, we get free towels, coffee and -- in larger units-- Laundry soap upon request, according to the member website.

Yes, I HEARD free towels, but I'm THINKING higher dues.

I have to admit , there were times a few extra towels would have been handy, but I was too cheap to spend the money. I'm concerned, hey it's free, let's get fresh towels every day will become the normal, yet we can't have a pen and 4 sheets of paper.

Well my stay at the Marriott's Marbella Resort: (did I mention it had daily housekeeping) was one of the best resorts I have stayed in. It was reported to be among the best Timeshare resorts in the world. Both Marriotts I have stayed in (including one in Orlando), are far better than anything i have seen at Disney (excluding AKL). There are two (US) Four Seasons timeshare properties, too which would beat Disney.

Yes but they aren't connected to Disney! pixiedust: :flower3:

Just like most people use their phone instead of an alarm clock, people use their phones to take notes now too. And most people are brand loyalists with body lotion and try to have it even while away from home.
Plenty of guests don't really use these items and instead take them as cute souvenirs. That makes WDW afraid they won't spend their absolute maximum budget on souvenirs and that's a big NO NO in pencil pusher land. They want every last dollar of guest spending.
Total geezer here, but I have no idea how to take notes on my phone. I love the pen/notepad to jot down reminders, grocery lists, room number etc. I've always brought my own lotion so that doesn't bug me too much.

I stayed at Grand California in August, no lotion. I don’t think a pen or pad either. There was a clock in the 1 bedroom. I keep a small clock in my suitcase, I don’t want to be fumbling in the dark for my phone.

Look what I found in our OKW one bedroom this week. Darn the way all the photos are posting.

20190929_162754.jpg

no lotion in our BCV studio last week. no notepad either. I normally don't reuse my towel but this time i did. It was only the hubs and I in this room. I rented a studio for my daughter also, no lotion or notepad in her room. Housekeeping kept the large baskets outside our rooms full of clean towels. My daughter grabbed a couple one day.

I did appreciate them emptying the trash early in the day so that when we went back around 2pm we were not disturbed.

But you pay your dues for an experience that is to be better than hotels

Noooo. A timeshare is a timeshare. Its not meant to be better than a hotel. It’s meant to be more home-like than a hotel.

Im glad that you had such a great experience at a different timeshare. Please don’t keep those expectations for DVC.

The purpose of a timeshare, any timeshare, is to save money. long term, on accommodations...and generally it applies to returning to the same place year after year.

Yep.

Using a shared pen is a terrific way to end up with norovirus FYI. Use your own pen!

And wash your hands. And keep your hands away from your face.

I don’t want to be fumbling in the dark for my phone.

"Hey, Siri, What Time Is It?" works for me at night, so I don't need to carry a clock on trips. I do still wear a wristwatch during the day.

Last we we did not have lotion nor a pen/pad in our BCV studio but we had all three in our Grand Californian studio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter