Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

If web slingers is less of a priority during EE (only want to do it once with LL), would it be better to do guardians first before RSR?

If web slingers is less of a priority during EE (only want to do it once with LL), would it be better to do guardians first before RSR?
Yes, but make sure you are at the EE early enough (5-10 minutes after EE starts) to get through Guardians and get in line for RSR 5-10 minutes before park opening.

Last edited:
Yes, but make sure you are at the EE early enough (5-10 minutes after EE starts) to get through Guardians and get in line for RSR 5-10 minutes before park opening.
Thanks! Is there an early entry entrance in Hollywood backlot, or do I have use the carthay circle/avengers campus entrance near spiderman?

Thanks! Is there an early entry entrance in Hollywood backlot, or do I have use the carthay circle/avengers campus entrance near spiderman?
In December there was also an early entrance on the Mickeys PhilharMagic, Award Weiners sidewalk area (held on that sidewalk before crossing toward Schmoozies). I believe Monsters Inc is open during EE, so this entrance should still be in place (we used it to head to Guardians first).

In December there was also an early entrance on the Mickeys PhilharMagic, Award Weiners sidewalk area (held on that sidewalk before crossing toward Schmoozies). I believe Monsters Inc is open during EE, so this entrance should still be in place (we used it to head to Guardians first).
Awesome, thank you!

Hey everyone, and thank you in advance for the advice posts to others..

I think I have a plan, and will begin my Disneyland Park day with Alice, and my California Adventure day at Guardians. What is the best walking route for each ride?

I am a World expert and know all the pathways.. left here... right there.. BUT, in DL.. I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Baloo

Hey everyone, and thank you in advance for the advice posts to others..

I think I have a plan, and will begin my Disneyland Park day with Alice, and my California Adventure day at Guardians. What is the best walking route for each ride?

I am a World expert and know all the pathways.. left here... right there.. BUT, in DL.. I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Baloo

Last edited:
Rope drop is the red circle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230424_135926_Disneyland.jpg
    Screenshot_20230424_135926_Disneyland.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20230424_140004_Disneyland.jpg
    Screenshot_20230424_140004_Disneyland.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 70
Just dropping a note to pay it forward for all of the other advice I received. We were in Disneyland on 4/21 and 4/22. We had Park Hoppers with Genie Plus and used ILL for RotR on both days. We stayed offsite but rope dropped both days, arriving between 730-745 AM. Overall, feel like we got to most of the rides that we wanted to hit in both parks. We definitely recommend Genie Plus (use first LLs in the first park and then start to stack the LLs when they start to reflect your park hop time (for us it was 1PM) and to take advantage of Single Rider if your group is open to that. Our party was 3, with my wife, college age daughter and me.

Basic Tip that helped us in both days was just asking the Cast members near the Rope drops on recommendations which directions to go, and which rides were open. When we arrived on Day 1 at CA, we were told that Radiator Springs was down (so we pivoted to GotG) When we arrived on Day 2 at Disneyland, as we were heading towards RotR, we heard it was down (so we pivoted to Mickey and Minnie's Railway)

Day 1 we started in California Adventure and then hopped to Disneyland around 1PM.
Our California Adventure sequence was: GotG, TSM, Soarin' (1st LL), RSR (Single Rider), Tow Mater, Luigi's, Little Mermaid, Webslingers (2nd LL), and Pixar Pal-a-round
Headed to Disneyland and our sequence was: BTR (3rd LL), Space Mountain (4th LL), Jungle Cruise, RotR (via ILL), Magic Happens Parade (1st one), Early Dinner at Carnation Cafe, Haunted Mansion (5th LL), Pirates, Splash Mountain (6th LL, it was down when we had a LL but then we received a MEP to re-use later), It's a small world, Encanto projection show, and then the end of Fantasmic.

Day 2 we started in Disneyland, and then hopped to California Adventure around 1PM, and to the airport at 6PM
Our Disneyland sequence was: Mickey and Minnie's, Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin, Space Mountain (1st LL), BTR (2nd LL), RotR (via ILL), Splash Mountain (3rd LL), Alice
Headed to California Adventure and our sequence was: Soarin (4th LL), Turtle Talk w/Crush, RSR (Single Rider), TSM (5th LL), Incredicoaster (Single Rider), and GotG (6th LL)

Our focus was mostly to ride the show headliners and felt we were able to do that. Also, with park-hopping, we didn't mind using our LLs in the first park, even if the wait times weren't too long.

Bottom line, we used Genie Plus in Disney World and Disneyland, and I was much more satisfied how much we were able to use Genie Plus in Disneyland, compared to Disneyworld. Also, with the unpredictability of when RotR availability, we just decided to pay for the ILLs, and was probably our favorite ride so we wanted to make sure we were able to ride it.. On the Day 2, it turned out to be down most of the AM, and we were fortunate that it came up right before our ILL time (around 11 AM), and were able to use it before we park hopped.

Just wanted to share our experience and thank this forum with our planning.

Need help! Used to go to DL all the time but haven't gone in while...going on Saturday, May 13. Only time since covid we went - we were never able to get on ROTR. It along with many others kept breaking down.

We bought Genie plus for Sat but also would like to ride ROTR and runaway railway withhout purchasing LL. There is an early entry on sat but we aren't staying onsite so none for us but will be there for rope drop.

Should we go directly to ROTR or do fantasyland? When should we try ROtR and Runaway railway?

Thanks for your help!

Need help! Used to go to DL all the time but haven't gone in while...going on Saturday, May 13. Only time since covid we went - we were never able to get on ROTR. It along with many others kept breaking down.

We bought Genie plus for Sat but also would like to ride ROTR and runaway railway withhout purchasing LL. There is an early entry on sat but we aren't staying onsite so none for us but will be there for rope drop.

Should we go directly to ROTR or do fantasyland? When should we try ROtR and Runaway railway?

Thanks for your help!
ROTR is kinda a gamble at opening, you could make your way there and check the app to make sure it working

Mickey Line normally doesn't get too high before noon, so just make sure to head there early but not at rope drop and you should be good.

On an upcoming DCA visit, we have EE. Our priority at DCA is RSR, but we prefer minimal waiting in the queue without paying for LL or doing a single rider line. Where is the best place to wait during EE to get on RSR during rope drop? Also, when does this rope drop location start to fill up for RSR? We will have G+, plus we are frequent WDW visitors (since many DCA attractions exist in WDW) and not into Marvel, so we don't mind skipping other DCA attractions to wait for RSR during EE. I appreciate your help.

On an upcoming DCA visit, we have EE. Our priority at DCA is RSR, but we prefer minimal waiting in the queue without paying for LL or doing a single rider line. Where is the best place to wait during EE to get on RSR during rope drop? Also, when does this rope drop location start to fill up for RSR? We will have G+, plus we are frequent WDW visitors (since many DCA attractions exist in WDW) and not into Marvel, so we don't mind skipping other DCA attractions to wait for RSR during EE. I appreciate your help.
If you get to EE at the start and not into Marvel then you can do Soarin or the smaller Cars Land attractions with the goal of being near the entrance to RSR 10 minutes before park opening.

We have a trip coming up the end of June and I am amazed by the prices they get for ILL. They are nearly double what we pay at WDW. Do many of you actually purchase these? Are the rides (RotR, MMRR) any different than they are at WDW? If not I think we will keep our ILL spending to Racers only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter