Rose of Sharon question

firstmickey

Riddle Goddess of Chaos
Hi, I recently planted a white Rose of Sharon and now I have tiny ants crawling on it and eating it.

Has anyone ever had this problem and do you have any recommendations for getting rid of them?

My online research shows they are susceptible to aphids but these are definitely ants.

thanks!

There are aphids. Look closely at the growing tips of the plants. The ants act like shepherds to the aphids. They protect them and in return they eat the honeydew the aphids produce. You can remove the aphids with blasts of water from the water hose. The ants might bring more aphids back onto the plant, but just keep blasting them and they'll go away. But I don't think the aphids are doing the eating. They suck sap from the stems. They don't actually eat the leaves.

You should look for small green caterpillars on the new growth. They do the eating. I usually just squish them or knock them into a deli container 1/2 full of soapy water to get rid of them.

Thanks for that great info nocurse! I didn't know Rose of Sharon were susceptible to aphids or that ants led the way. I have a huge hedge of ROS way in the back that I'm going to keep an eye on. I don't have a hose long enough to get back there to spray them off though. Do you think just spraying with Sevin would help keep them away?

I'm really pretty ignorant about pesticides. I garden organically, so I really don't know about Sevin. Insecticidal soap is effective against aphids and it's less toxic to the butterflies, bees and other living things in my yard, especially me and my kids.

Sevin is safe on veggies ( or so the label says) so it can't be all that toxic. I don't use it or anything on veggies, herbs or flowers I would bring in the house.

I've tried the Gardensafe products with poor results. I rather just blast them with a hose if I can. Last night I dusted the Rose Of Sharon with Sevin. Of course it rained today. :rotfl:

I tend to agree with nocnurse on the use of organics whenever possible. Using Sevin against aphids is a bit of overkill, imo, since they're so easy to kill by knocking them off the plant. Besides, a broad-spectrum pesticide is killing all the beneficials (i.e., ladybug larvae and adults) that prey on aphids, as well as pollinating insects that keep all our plants going and setting fruit. I strongly feel there is such a thing as acceptable damage on ornamental plants, and can live with a few chewed leaves. But if damage goes beyond your definition of "acceptable", use a less-toxic method first, and then see if you can live with the results.

Hmm, I've never seen ants on ROS. I've seen them on Paeonies. They actually help to open the the blooms on those plants. Right now in MI, Japenese Beetles are a huge problem for ROS. I use Joy dish soap and water to kill them. Maybe that's what is eating your leaves. :earsboy:

The best thing for aphids - and you do definitely have them and ROS are definitely susceptible - are lady bugs. a blast of water - well it works if you blast ecery day - soap helps, but chemicals kill good bugs. Go buy some lady bugs from your nursery. The lady bugs will be happy and they will get rid of the aphids and thenyou will lose the ants!
Redbudlover - master gardener.

Wow! I never had ants eating my Rose of Sharons! I had lots of problems with japanese beetles thru the years. I finally got rid of the beetles when I stopped putting out the beetle bait traps.

Reverse psychology on the bugs. Ignore them and they go away. :rotfl:

Redbudlover said:
Go buy some lady bugs from your nursery. The lady bugs will be happy and they will get rid of the aphids and thenyou will lose the ants!
Redbudlover - master gardener.

Dittos,
Ladybugs are the best for gobbling up aphids. I've never seen ladybugs for sale in my garden centers. You might try this company http://www.growquest.com for ordering them online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter