Roy E. Disney resigns!

I just heard that and am totally floored. A friend emailed me the story with a copy of the actual resignation letter. WOW...it makes me really sad to think that a "Disney" would feel that he needed to resign from the "Disney" company... :(

I think Disney is losing a man with great vision and his insight to what is Uncle Walt would like to see the company due in years to come.This is so sad he can't be replaced.:(

I am deeply saddened and extremely hurt by this. It seems that Walt's own relatives should have ultimate control over the company, doesn't it?????

I will be very interested to know what Michael Eisner's response to this will be.

This is very sad and a long time coming it seems.

Roy wants Eisner to step down. I hope they can find someone to bring things back up to speed, looks like they are in for a hard time to come if they don't do something soon.

There is more info on www.orlandosentinel.com

I am heartbroken by this. Now there won't be anyone with the Disney name involved with the company anymore. I would like to write to someone, but I'm not sure who, or exactly what to say at this point. I wish there could have been some way for Mr. Eisner and Mr. Disney to resolve their differences and make everything ok.

That IS sad! I hate it when people with good intentions have to step aside to those with power. I know he is being the "bigger man" in all of this, but it's not fair!

I have only recently admitted to being a Disney-holic (I was in denial for years), so I don't know a lot about the company, but what's up with Eisner? Nobody seems to like him? I'll probably post a question in the debate board to learn more.

D4D

It is amazing how someone like Eisner can hold on to the office when you comapre his salary to the share price

Disgusting......

:mad:

this makes me sick!

roy e. is a DISNEY, a true descendant of the men who imagined and built the company that has outlasted many and given people worldwide more joy than any other commercial endeavor that i can recall.

i don't completely understand the whole stockholder situation, but i hope that the disney family bands together, with thoughts of walt's values and dreams, to retain control of what is theirs! eisner may have taken the company places at one time, but all that i've heard and read in recent years indicates that he more concerned about himself and lining his own pockets! will it one day be 'eisner world'?

it's simply shameful...i'll be following to see what happens.

As the actions of the board say, Roy does not have that much control anymore. Roy made his own decision. Roy has publicly stated in the past that he wants the company to remain just as Uncle Walt started it. That just can't happen.

Also, Roy threatened to quit the board before they hired Mr. Eisner so..... this is not the first time he pulled the stunt. Sounds like someone called his bluff.

This kind of thing happens and it tends to be VERY rare for a member of the founding family to still have significant impact on a company the size of Disney this many years after founding.

While you may not like Mr. Eisner, keep in mind that before he and his group took over one of the Wall Street firms was trolling for Disney with an eye to breaking it up. Seperate companines and owners for movies, TV, amusment parks. We might not have seen near as much growth in WDW under that plan.

Originally posted by CarolA
Also, Roy threatened to quit the board before they hired Mr. Eisner so..... this is not the first time he pulled the stunt. Sounds like someone called his bluff.

No, Roy DID resign from the board in the 1980s...to orevent a corporate takeover. He was reinstated when he brought Eisner and Frank Wells to the company, as well as financial backers to save the company from a takeover. Ron Miller, the president when Roy resigned, was forced out.

Originally posted by CarolA
While you may not like Mr. Eisner, keep in mind that before he and his group took over one of the Wall Street firms was trolling for Disney with an eye to breaking it up. Seperate companines and owners for movies, TV, amusment parks. We might not have seen near as much growth in WDW under that plan.

Honestly, I don't deny this. BUT - since Frank Wells died, Eisner has gone downhill. There's no checks and balance without Wells - notice, other than a short term, there has been no new president of the company. Eisner does it all, and no one is able to counter his decisions. Most of the stuff that people don't like has happened since Wells died.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter