• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Royal Family 5k 2014

mbfaith406

Mouseketeer
Me and my family are thinking about doing the 5k in Feb 2014 for the first time. This would be our first one! How is the 5k? Can you walk? Also what is the perks of doing a Disney Run? Do you get a pin for free dining or any special privileges for doing a race?
Any tips or info is appreciated!!!
So excited! :cheer2:
Meg

I am curious about this as well. We are probably thinking more like 2015 tho.

I am doing the PHM, for this 2014 there are no special perks. The race has gotten so popular that Disney can charge rack rate and still attract people. If they do give anything it would be a hotel discount, but I don't think it is coming out this time around.

What day is the Family 5k on? I was looking it up LATE last night and couldnt find it but I was half asleep!

Also do people (adults) do/run it or is it family entry only?

What day is the Family 5k on? I was looking it up LATE last night and couldnt find it but I was half asleep!

Also do people (adults) do/run it or is it family entry only?

The 5K is Friday 2/21/14 at 6:15 am
Anyone can run it. Lots of adults run the race.
I'm doing it with my whole family.

Me and my family are thinking about doing the 5k in Feb 2014 for the first time. This would be our first one! How is the 5k? Can you walk? Also what is the perks of doing a Disney Run? Do you get a pin for free dining or any special privileges for doing a race?
Meg

No perks other than bragging rights.
They do have merchandise for sale at the expo.
You can walk but you must maintain a 16 minute mile pace or better, it's suggested to train at at least a 15 minute mile pace.

DS17 and I did the Everest 5k a few years ago and it's a blast. I'm signing all if us up for the Royal 5k.

Meg

Disney races are great first time races. There is a lot of excitement at the start... much more than most local 5ks. This run runs around the Epcot parking lot, followed by a loop of Epcot's World Showcase. From the WSC, you head up to the front of the park and run by Spaceship Earth and out through a cast member exit. The finish is the same as the PHM. Better than most local races, there are two water stations along the course.

Map: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37052596/

Disney asks in all races that you keep a 16 minute pace; however, the the case of their 5k races, they are really lenient in policing the pace. I have seen where runners were on course a little over an hour (closer to a 20 minute pace).

It is not a timed event, so you will not get an official time. You do receive a (usually) neat medallion at the finish. Medallion signifies that it is a rubberized plastic material, not metallic like the longer race medals. You do receive a race shirt and can purchase other mementos at the expo.

Keep an eye on the runDisney site and jump in before the race fills.

Thinking of signing up for this so too but query

The PHM on Sunday would be my first marathon. Would I be ok to do Royal Family run or would it be better to just stick to regular plan until the big race?

Hope that makes sense. I havent run a race before so not sure how to act a few days before it etc

The PHM on Sunday would be my first marathon. Would I be ok to do Royal Family run or would it be better to just stick to regular plan until the big race?

Hope that makes sense. I havent run a race before so not sure how to act a few days before it etc

Love spell corrector.

Generally one wants to take it easy on the feet prior to the race. Ideally, the heavy park days would come after the race; when one can walk through recovery while wearing their medal proudly. From a very traditional perspective, I would suggest not backing up two events into one weekend. It can detract from the main event; especially for a first timer.

However, it's Disney and two days prior to the PHM. Many training plans will have a run on that day. If you run the Royal Family as a training run then it should be OK. I offer this with the understanding/assumption that you come into the race well trained, fairly healthy and not pace challenged (struggling to maintain a 16 minute pace for 9-10 miles).

I am doing the 5K, the 10K and the 1/2.

We plan on walking the 5K, either walking or intervals for the 10K, and intervals for the 1/2.

My gut feeling is for your first half, save your feet and don't do the 5k. I'm doing all three races that weekend,but I've done 40 races in the past two years, so I know how my body is going to respond. Also,make sure you sign up for some local 5 and 10ks before you do the half. Remember bib goes on your front not on your back!! someone told me that when i first started and said "you can always tell the rookies by who has their bib on their backs!"

Have fun and dig deep!

Hi all,

My husband and I are thinking about signing up too :-)worship: pleeeease) and the major sticking point right now is that our flight won't get in until after the expo closes on Thurs night. I know there's the waiver but does anyone know of a service that will allow us to pay to have someone pick up for us?

Thanks!
Kelli

Hi all,

My husband and I are thinking about signing up too :-)worship: pleeeease) and the major sticking point right now is that our flight won't get in until after the expo closes on Thurs night. I know there's the waiver but does anyone know of a service that will allow us to pay to have someone pick up for us?

Thanks!
Kelli

e-mail Disney Sports and ask, "Our flight will not arrive until after expo close for the 2014 Royal Family 5k. Do you still offer a limited 5k packet pickup on Saturday morning?"

Until very recently, they did have a table at the 5k's for race day packet pick up; even though the website and race programs indicated otherwise. That was well before the 5k selling out early and they were hoping to fill it with local runners.

If they reply no, let us know. I am sure someone would volunteer to assist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter