Royal Pacific- can i survive without a car

bratray

<font color=red>Disney Planning Addict<br><font co
hello

staying on site at the royal pacific and am debating whether we need a car or not

i'm assuming that i could eat at citywalk - hopefully this isn't too inconveinent to access

i have stayed at disney before without a car and really had no problem

is there anywhere inexpensive to eat at the hotel or is there anywhere i could call and have delivery to the hotel

thanks

lisa:wave2:

We had our car with us when we stayed for 5 days at the Hard Rock and did not use it once. There are a lot of options at City Walk and in the park. It is not too far of a walk. You can pick up pizza at the to go window at Pastamore. I have no idea what the food is like at RP, but I am sure you can get by without having to go to CityWalk.

Oh, you definately do not need a car at RPR. You will love it, it is fantastic.

There are plenty of places to eat...Islands, the sports bar, there is another piano bar/with food served up stairs, there is room service, Emeril's Tchop Chop if you really want a great treat, there is also the Luau.

At City Walk..you can find almost anything you want.....just a short boat ride away.

In my opinion, you definitely don't need a car. IOA, USO, City Walk & all 3 hotels are located near eachother...very convenient.

Check out http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/unimenus.html for IOA, USO, hotel & City Walk menus w/prices. I'm not sure about delivery, although I've heard you can have pizza delivered but you have to meet the delivery person in the lobby as they're not allowed to go up to the rooms. I can't confirm that, that's just what I've heard. :D

The least expensive eatery at RPR is Jake's, although the menu is limited. The main restaurant (Island Dining Room) and Tchoup Chop are on the pricey side.

You can get good value at some CityWalk restaurants and, if you are up for a bit of a hike, you can walk across the bridge over I-4 to International Drive and more restaurant choices.

thanks for all the great answers!

i just put my deposit on my room today and am really getting anxious now- but have a ways to go;6/24 to 6/30

:crazy:

lisa

We'll just miss you. We'll be at RPR 7/1-7/5. In order to save calories (and $ in the process) my husband and I shared several meals while we were there last summer. Are you able to fit small boxes of cereal and pop-tarts into your suitcases? We did this and were able to do breakfast by simply buying milk. We are LoewsFirst members and always get the fruit and water amenity and eat the fruit with our breakfast or a quick pick me up after a morning at the parks. If you haven't already done so, you should sign up for Loews First. Also, remember that if you have AAA, AP or Fan Club you get a discount at many restaurants in the parks and CityWalk. Not sure if discounts are available on hotel dining.

We have stayed at RPR twice after driving to Orlando. Both times we parked our car at check-in and never saw it again until we checked out. We stayed 4 nights last August and 2 nights last month. There are so many places to eat and so much to do that we never felt the need to leave. Citywalk and the parks are just a short walk or boat ride away. Eating on our Universal trips does cost us more money than we might normally spend on food while on vacation. But we also wanted to experience certain restaurants (for example eating at Mythos for lunch but that was our big meal for the day so we just had a light dinner) and we consumed several drinks each time we ate! LOL. We did save quite a bit by bringing along some snacks and breakfast foods. We will be back at RPR in May and I am sure once we unload the car, we will never see it again until we leave.

We stayed at HRH last June. Had a car (really a van - 7 of us) to use. With there being 7 (w/teenagers) we drove to I-drive alot to eat. If you have no concerns about food budget then skip the car.
But a night at Jimmy Buffets, NBA City, and the HR Cafe can add up quick. Also note. Traffic on I-drive can be a problem. So consider that as well. All in all we enjoyed going down I-drive to dine a few times. Some good places with modest to good pricing.

hi Hckynut56

that has been my biggest concern- where to eat cheap??? of course we will go to citywalk sometimes- but i don't want to be tied to just the Universal eats-

my husband hates driving in a "strange" place but i am really up in the air about the car- i would like to have the ability to go over to international drive if need be

well , i still have time to think about it (and drive myself crazy)

thanks

lisa:rolleyes:

We always rent a car on our trips to Orlando. I like the flexibility a car gives me. You can definitely eat cheaper if you have a car. We are staying at RPR next week, but I plan to go over to Disney for at least a day maybe two.

I like having a car. Just my two cents.

As far as driving in a strange place. The I-Drive stretch is just outside the USO property. The entrance to USO is toward the end of I-Drive. So most your making is a right turn out (into I-Drive) and a left turn back into the USO properties.
I will caution once again that the left turn into USO does backup, and you may wait a few lights. It depends on the time of the week, and time of day. Seemed to get worse at night.
Once you make that right onto I-Drive there will be choices on both sides of the street.
We did not get to very many places. So you might check to see if there is a "thread" on I-Drive restaurants. Or start on on a Orlando area board.

Good Luck !

you won't want to leave the resort area for International Drive.

You can easily survive without a car, unless you absolutely plan to go to Disney, etc.

We've stayed onsite at Universal twice. The first time we did not use the car at all. Last spring we went out once to eat at Sweet Tomatoes restaurant and make a grocery stop.

We ate all of our breakfasts in the room--boxed cereal, muffins, fruit, etc. We are not big breakfast eaters so this worked out well. I didn't want to pay a lot for breakfast and there are not fod court type places in the Unviersal hotels. We also had sandwich fixings in the room and ate a dinner or two there when we were too exhausted to go out. We really spent very little on meals for our family of 6.

How will you be getting to the hotel? If you are taking a town car service they will make a grocery stop and you can then stock up on perishable snacks, etc. Then keep a small cooler in your room and restock with ice daily (I say small so you don't use too much ice). We use a plug-in type cooler so don't use any ice. You could also buy a styrofoam cooler at the grocery store or rent a fridge at the hotel.

T&B

HI everyone thanks for the great tips-
we are planning on using tiffany town car- when we stayed at WDW last year we brought along a cooler on wheels and stuck it in the bathtub (some leakage) i am still contemplating doing the club level- we are also not big breakfast eaters- it never bothered me at WDW to not have a car but there are no "cheap" cafeterial type places to eat at US
i think if we did club level and ate big lunches & use the 1\2 off vouchers for city walk that we should be fine without the car

always looking to save a buck :teeth:

thanks again:sunny:

lisa

What if you have a flex ticket to Wet N Wild and Sea World? Do you need a car then? Or does RPR have a shuttle service?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter