Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
International travel bans will be lifted before the travel insurance companies will remove the Covid 19 Exclusions.

The Covid 19 Exclusion from my travel insurance states
We will not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-COV-2) or any mutation or variation of these. Nor will We cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover. In the event of a conflict between this general exclusion and any other term in Your policy terms and conditions, this general exclusion takes precedence.

This is for any new bookings after March 13 2020 and for any new policy bought after March 2020.

This is a huge deal. Europeans and Canadians will be very reluctant to travel to USA in 2021 if travel insurance companies still have Covid 19 Exclusions.

My travel insurance company will cover Covid 19 medical claims and cancellations for my June 2020 California trip because my flights and hotels were booked before March 13.

If I reschedule my flights and hotels for November 2020 or April 2021, my travel insurance sees this as a new booking so the Covid 19 exclusion applies.

So as a result you will see huge numbers of Canadians and Europeans not rescheduling cancelled Disney Parks holidays for 2021. No one wants to risk travelling to USA without medical insurance.
Can’t you still get medical insurance that covers everything but Covid?

Can’t you still get medical insurance that covers everything but Covid?

Yes but not having Covid 19 medical insurance is a risk most wont take. No one in 2021 will want to travel to USA and risk ending up in a USA hospital with breathing difficulties halfway through their holiday. Most Europeans are in USA for 14 days or longer. So even if Europeans have to get tested before getting on a plane, they could test negative and arrive in USA and then on day 8 develop symptoms and need medical treatment.

I'm really getting the vibe that Disney World will be opened in June.

I wonder how people will feel about future reservations, especially knowing that things could be locked down at a moment's notice.

Book through TA for a cash room like I normally do. I got all my money back (well just by $200 deposit since that is all I had paid) for my April trip with no issues.

Yes but not having Covid 19 medical insurance is a risk most wont take. No one in 2021 will want to travel to USA and risk ending up in a USA hospital with breathing difficulties halfway through their holiday. Most Europeans are in USA for 14 days or longer. So even if Europeans have to get tested before getting on a plane, they could test negative and arrive in USA and then on day 8 develop symptoms and need medical treatment.
The chance of being hospitalized due to Covid is extremely low, but if it’s a financial risk you can’t take. I can understand that.
It certainly won’t stop me from traveling, but we all have different risk tolerance.

I wonder how people will feel about future reservations, especially knowing that things could be locked down at a moment's notice.
Those stuck with tickets they have no clue when they’ll be able to use won’t make the buy tickets ahead of time just for FPs mistake again...

I know it will be a long time before I rent DVC points again..

YUP. We rented points for the first time for our trip this year. One night at Copper Creek. Wilderness Lodge is a bucket list resort for us, and we had always been too afraid to rent points before since you have to book so far out and put up so much upfront with no refund... We just did too much date adjusting on previous trips to feel comfortable with it. This year is our 5th wedding anniversary so we figured what the heck, we'll do it this time and splurge. :rotfl: Now we don't know if we'll even be able to take that trip this year. Oh, well. Life tax, I guess. Not sure we'll take the chance on a DVC Rental again in the future. I am glad now, though, that we only booked one night. When we started planning this last year we wanted to rent a full week. Much different boat we're in now.

Last edited:
YUP. We rented points for the first time for our trip this year. One night at Copper Creek. Wilderness Lodge is a bucket list resort for us, and we had always been too afraid to rent points before since you have to book so far out and put up so much upfront with no refund... We just did too much date adjusting on previous trips to feel comfortable with it. This year is our 5th wedding anniversary so we figured what the heck, we'll do it this time and splurge. :rotfl: Now we don't know if we'll even be able to take that trip this year. Oh, well. Life tax, I guess. Not sure we'll take the chance on a DVC Rental again in the future. I am glad now, though, that we only booked one night. When we started planning this last year we wanted to rent a full week. Much different boat we're in now.

My wife and I are at the other end of the spectrum. We rented a full weeks worth of points for a 1 bedroom at Vero in early June.

It won’t change anything for me. I always book directly through Disney whether it’s a room or DVC. I’ve never liked dealing with rental places, travel agents or any 3rd party vendor. With some of the issues I’ve read about DVC rentals, they may well have to adjust their policies if they want people to continue to use them. It was bad enough to be cancelled, but to have to worry about getting your money back is crazy.

The chance of being hospitalized due to Covid is extremely low, but if it’s a financial risk you can’t take. I can understand that.
It certainly won’t stop me from traveling, but we all have different risk tolerance.
Currently chances may be low. Come the 2nd wave, no one knows how bad it may get.

No sane person should travel without covid included on their travel insurance.

I know it will be a long time before I rent DVC points again..
If you get a chance to do it, I'd go with this board's Lisa C. She gave us a full refund for our DVC book tripped in July. I wouldn't have canceled with her if the DVC point rules would have allowed us to cancel further out without her losing the points.

Absolutely no way am I crossing the border without medical insurance without COVID-19 exceptions. Not 100% sure if that's currently the case that some companies aren't covering, but I know there was talk of this in March. As a Canadian, I think that's the concern as I think they (unfortunately) will be opening the border sooner than later and getting there will not be the problem. You have to be quite wealthy (or a risk taker) to be okay with the chance of getting saddled with an American hospital bill. I don't even want to begin to think of what weeks in the hospital would cost.

One trip to WDW my son was sick with a bad cold/cough. We took him to a clinic, he saw a doctor for about 10 minutes and was tested for the Flu, it was negative and we were sent on our way. I'm pretty sure it was about $400-500. No thanks to whatever the bill may be if one of us ended up needing treatment due to COVID-19, which would obviously be much more costly than that. I have no source, but I have to think I'm not a total minority when it comes to that.

No sane insurance company is offering COVID coverage if you didn’t purchase before the end of Jan...

Are you referring to travel insurance or medical insurance?

Two different issues. Travel insurance that won't cover COVID, you have a pretty good idea what the cap is on the amount you lose. I'd consider going without travel insurance that will not allow you to cancel for COVID related reasons. Not medical insurance, no way.

ETA: I think they get mixed up when this gets brought up sometimes.

Two different issues. Travel insurance that won't cover COVID, you have a pretty good idea what the cap is on the amount you lose. I'd consider going without travel insurance that will not allow you to cancel for COVID related reasons. Not medical insurance, no way.
Ah, my medical and travel are bought as one when I go abroad. And no way would I go abroad without either right now, so USA travel plans here I am!

ETA: I think they get mixed up when this gets brought up sometimes.
So as a non-American you have to buy a seperate policy for medical I take it when traveling to the US? What is the current practices there? Are they excluding medical coverage related to COVID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter