Rumor - DLR, Stroller as a Wheelchair changing?

Angel Ariel

DIS Veteran
I just read a report from someone on a FB group that a DLR guest relations CM told them today that stroller as a wheelchair will be changing as of 6/30 - that Disneyland will not tag strollers as a wheelchair to go in queues anymore - that it needed to be an actual wheelchair or medical stroller.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

We were at DLR in January and they were then alternating colors of the tags randomly as people had been selling files on Etsy to fake them (reasoning shared to me by GR CM), but we had no issues having the stroller tagged. Now we were using a special needs stroller (not expressly medical), but I haven't seen any other reports of this so wanted to see what others are hearing/experiencing.

That would prove problematic for many, I mean nog is personally, but what about the disabled mom that needs to use a stroller as a walker because she has young kids that need a stroller. She doesn't need a medical stroller, which are cost prohibitive.

But I can also see why they would want to crack down on this, it would eliminate using wagons as wheelchairs to get around the ban on wagons.

We were at Disneyland last week and I noticed a few wagons (or the same wagon an unlikely number of times) and we definitely saw strollers in lines (I presume they were tagged).

I have never paid attention to wagons before but I was surprised to notice them this trip because of the poster on the primary DAS thread who clearly needed it for legitimate reasons and was denied.

We do not use either so I did not inquire about changes, but there does not appear to be a change as of yet.

That ain’t right. Depending on the situation, insurance DOES NOT cover wheelchairs until the kid turns 5 years old, so for most parents, using a stroller as a wheelchair until their child can get a real wheelchair is pretty much the only option.

There is a HUGE rumor on social media now about stroller-as-wheelchair going away. What I've heard/read in these rumors makes no sense. There is no reason to think it is going away completely, though, because it is included on the revamped Guests with Disabilities website and also in the newly-updated Accessibility Guide booklets. If Disney feels they've been too lax in the reasons for providing S-A-W, they may tighten that up. Though they did recently add that S-A-W can be used by "an adult with a mobility disability who uses a stroller as a mobility device to assist with walking." So again, there is no logic that would be added only to have it taken away.

There is a HUGE rumor on social media now about stroller-as-wheelchair going away. What I've heard/read in these rumors makes no sense. There is no reason to think it is going away completely, though, because it is included on the revamped Guests with Disabilities website and also in the newly-updated Accessibility Guide booklets. If Disney feels they've been too lax in the reasons for providing S-A-W, they may tighten that up. Though they did recently add that S-A-W can be used by "an adult with a mobility disability who uses a stroller as a mobility device to assist with walking." So again, there is no logic that would be added only to have it taken away.
Exactly what I was going to say. I did say it on a Facebook post too.

It makes NO sense for Disney to do that and would cause them many issues. Besides that, as lanejudy mentioned, Disney just updated their disability websites for both WDW and DL to include MORE reasons for stroller as wheelchairs.

Always keep in mind that there are people on the Internet who get their 'fun' out of creating havoc and worry for other people by making up stories

Exactly what I was going to say. I did say it on a Facebook post too.

It makes NO sense for Disney to do that and would cause them many issues. Besides that, as lanejudy mentioned, Disney just updated their disability websites for both WDW and DL to include MORE reasons for stroller as wheelchairs.

Always keep in mind that there are people on the Internet who get their 'fun' out of creating havoc and worry for other people by making up stories

To the bolded, I do always keep that in mind - that's why I came to a place a consider far more reliable :)

I have seen the rumor around too. I was very surprised. My friends used to get one for their stroller because the husband had major back and shoulder issues from his military service and was in pain trying to hold the 2 kids. And my friend had back issues. They just could not hold 2 kids throughout lines all day. The kids were still pretty little (like 3 & 1) and are perfectly able to walk but not all day.

I had noticed the tag colors have been changing at Disneyland a lot (dark pink, lime green, purple). But I have also noticed a lot more stroller in the queues (they had about 8 parked all together on the exit ramp of Small world a couple weeks ago and a full platform of wheelchairs and ECVs behind the load area) so maybe they need to limit as they do not have the space for all of them waiting in certain areas?

I have seen the rumor around too. I was very surprised. My friends used to get one for their stroller because the husband had major back and shoulder issues from his military service and was in pain trying to hold the 2 kids. And my friend had back issues. They just could not hold 2 kids throughout lines all day. The kids were still pretty little (like 3 & 1) and are perfectly able to walk but not all day.

I had noticed the tag colors have been changing at Disneyland a lot (dark pink, lime green, purple). But I have also noticed a lot more stroller in the queues (they had about 8 parked all together on the exit ramp of Small world a couple weeks ago and a full platform of wheelchairs and ECVs behind the load area) so maybe they need to limit as they do not have the space for all of them waiting in certain areas?
The WDW and DL websites recently updated their Stroller As Wheelchair information to specifically include situations like your friends used a stroller for

At least at WDW, they handle 'too many for the area' by issuing Wheelchair Return Times. Specifically at WDW Small World, they may not be doing them when the space isn't full, but do when it's busy.

This would stink if true because we don't typically use a stroller in any fashion for our son anymore, but were considering bringing one to WDW as a form of restraint because they are now likely to tell my partner that her only remedy for agoraphobia and panic attacks is going to be RTQ, and I need a way to contain my neurodivergent son so she can recover herself. The last thing I want to do is buy a medical stroller at this point.

I wouldn't trust this unless it comes from Disney itself. There are a LOT of us who get S-A-W tags for our children for things other than mobility needs. My son doesn't even have a wheelchair, nor do we use a stroller at home (although we do often use a wagon for him), but we use S-A-W for him at Disney and rent a big kid stroller from a local Orlando company to assist with his cognitive/behavioral needs, and he gets approved every time for those reasons, so restricting it solely to wheelchairs wouldn't make much sense.

On April 9, 2024, both WDW and DL literally posted NEW, UPDATED information about strollers as wheelchair that is the opposite of the rumor.
This is on both websites (my bold):

"A “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag is for Guests with disabilities who use their stroller as a mobility device. This tool allows a Guest to treat their stroller as a wheelchair and keep their device with them in attraction queues.
“Stroller as a Wheelchair” tags are available for a Guest who meets one of the following:
  • Is a child with a disability who uses their stroller as a mobility device in lieu of a traditional wheelchair
  • Is a child with additional medical equipment who needs a way to transport their equipment while in a queue
  • Is an adult with a mobility disability who IMG_3945.jpeg to assist with walking
How to Use “Stroller as a Wheelchair” Tag

1. Please visit Guest Relations for additional information about this tool. If appropriate, a “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag may be issued.
  2. Guests who are issued a “Stroller as a Wheelchair” tag may enter the queue using their device.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter