• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumored Changes to G+

I am the only one on here who doesn't have a big problem with the 7am thing? If you're getting in the park for rope-drop (which let's face it, if you're shelling out $25-$35 for G+, you want to make the most of it surely?) then chances are you'll be awake long before 7.

When I was staying on-site last year, I was already waiting at the bus stop for a ride to Magic Kingdom when 7am rolled round as our plan was to get to the park at least 45 minutes before they let us in at 8:30, so we could be near the front of the crowd. So having already purchased it back in my room, I started booking my first rides while we were already on the move (thanks Disney Transport Wi-Fi!).

Even on days where we were having a more relaxed start, typically at least one of us would still be up and about or having breakfast at or near 7, especially given how long we know it takes to get everyone ready and out the door in the mornings. The days we'd lie-in would be days where we weren't going to a park at all, or ones where we knew in advance we weren't going to buy Genie+ (e.g. an afternoon half-day at Epcot).

I don't think it's a big problem for rope droppers at all - we're already on the move by 7 AM. But for people who don't want to rope drop, it does limit the value, and it's certainly an issue that it can't work as well for everyone, especailly when they are charged the same amount. I would be pretty upset if I arrived at Epcot at 11 AM, bought Genie+, then couldn't get any of the big rides with it. Of course, I know the system and how it works, but what about people who don't?

We spent many hours waiting in line when standby was the only option in the last century. I agree it was not magical. I didn't want to return due to the crowds. It's understandable why I eagerly accept any skip-the-line product.

It lost money from you, but gained from us. We're going more often knowing that we can get on more rides.

Yeah, but a wash isn't usually what a business is looking for. Similar to customer churn, which is usually (not always) a bad thing. They would much rather have both and that is typically the goal.

I am the only one on here who doesn't have a big problem with the 7am thing?
Like I said Ill probably be up...but now I feel have to be up - that's the difference.

I am up most days at 4AM anyway, but if I happen to be able to sleep past 7 I'd like too.

I'd also rather be doing something else at 7AM, not messing with an atomic clock and a phone etc..

Like I said Ill probably be up...but now I feel have to be up - that's the difference.

I am up most days at 4AM anyway, but if I happen to be able to sleep past 7 I'd like too.

I'd also rather be doing something else at 7AM, not messing with an atomic clock and a phone etc..

I've never bothered using anything other than the clock on my phone and I've always gotten the VQ or whatever. I get why people do it I just find it to be an unnecessary step.

I don't think it's a big problem for rope droppers at all - we're already on the move by 7 AM. But for people who don't want to rope drop, it does limit the value, and it's certainly an issue that it can't work as well for everyone, especailly when they are charged the same amount. I would be pretty upset if I arrived at Epcot at 11 AM, bought Genie+, then couldn't get any of the big rides with it. Of course, I know the system and how it works, but what about people who don't?
you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you think of G+ as virtual queuing and we consider the realities of an attraction (there are a finite number of riders possible in a day) then coming in later in a park day could mean that could be no more physical spots in the attraction for that day because the earlier parties already took them.

You could increase the price and likely decrease the number of purchases or you could increase the number of attractions but that might not solve your E ticket issue.

From Disney standpoint I’d wager more guest are “happy” with a cheaper option that lets them skip the line on something than guest who would purchase a more expensive option.

you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you think of G+ as virtual queuing and we consider the realities of an attraction (there are a finite number of riders possible in a day) then coming in later in a park day could mean that could be no more physical spots in the attraction for that day because the earlier parties already took them.

You could increase the price and likely decrease the number of purchases or you could increase the number of attractions but that might not solve your E ticket issue.

From Disney standpoint I’d wager more guest are “happy” with a cheaper option that lets them skip the line on something than guest who would purchase a more expensive option.

Coming soon. GenieBay. Where you are allowed to outbid people for the taken spots if you come later. They would have a chance to outbid you, but if not, you get to take their place in line if you are willing to pay more.

I'd wager more guests would be happy overall with a functional standby line and no fastpass option available to anyone except the wealthy.

This has already played out at Universal and seems to work ok.

I'd wager more guests would be happy overall with a functional standby line and no fastpass option available to anyone except the wealthy.

There’s a psychological impact to getting a LL. A reward if you will. With the increase in instant gratification throughout culture that likely outweighs sitting in standby lines all trip generally speaking.

Yes, but if Disboards has taught me anything, it’s that the “wealthy” is defined by the individual poster as what they are willing to pay that also excludes the most “have nots” as possible. If it’s over what they are willing to pay, it’s too much, if it’s under, the plebes will be able to afford it and that’s a no no.

I think they should increase the price of genie plus, decrease the number they sell, and then include it with deluxe resorts and dvc. Right now it seems too useful to not buy it every time, especially if you are only a group of 2-4 people. Would make the standby lines go faster with less people in the lightning lanes, and actually give deluxe/dvc more of an incentive to stay deluxe. They could even extend the extended evening hours out to moderate hotels then as well.

I found fastpass straight forward and easiest when it was paper based. It’s just the way you have to re-learn everything / do homework all the time everytime you plan a WDW trip because they don’t just have genie+ they have virtual queues and then lighting lane+ and god knows what else. I find the universal system easier the way I have bought my express passes in advance and I don’t have to get up at 7am on vacation just to get genie+ and grab lighting lanes. Why do Disney make you pre- book rides too?! When I say I find universal easier with my express pass I feel less stressed and chilled knowing I can just walk up to every ride and join the express line with my express pass whereas Disney make you buy genine+ but it’s not enough just to have bought the thing you then have to book times for each ride. Like I said just walking up to each ride in universal with my express pass and joining the line sounds way easier. Granted only the 2 of us and we have budgeted express passes into the cost and only at universal one day. I’m finding these days universal make things easier and their app seems a little more straight forward than Disneys after a play around with that this weekend.
This is why it's difficult to reach a consensus. I agree paper FP was the most straightforward, but it was also the most physically exhausting to me. I find the current system, G+ and iLL, to be the most effective in getting the highest number of rides with the shortest wait.

I also want Disney to have a similar system like Express Pass. Until then, I will make do with whatever they have since I want to be at their parks more than they need me. I understand you don't want to get up at 7 A.M. Orlando time, but being from the UK it's already 12 P.M your time.

I think they should increase the price of genie plus, decrease the number they sell,
That's similar to my opinion as well.
then include it with deluxe resorts and dvc.
It's been pointed out in various threads that Disney has too many of these to effectively do this. Of course they could but from the discussion of what makes Genie+ better overall it would just lead to too many having this benefit.

actually give deluxe/dvc more of an incentive to stay deluxe.
They don't need incentives to stay deluxe. More than enough people are willing to do this even with limited to no benefits.

I think they should increase the price of genie plus, decrease the number they sell, and then include it with deluxe resorts and dvc. Right now it seems too useful to not buy it every time, especially if you are only a group of 2-4 people. Would make the standby lines go faster with less people in the lightning lanes, and actually give deluxe/dvc more of an incentive to stay deluxe. They could even extend the extended evening hours out to moderate hotels then as well.
There isn't enough capacity to support giving it to everyone in Deluxe and DVC. This would never work at Disney. I don't know why everyone wants to keep introducing a class system for G+ with hotels - there are way too many hotels at Disney to support any sort of differentiators. People should stay Deluxe because they want a larger room, more amenities at the property, etc and not expect anything else. That's how it is in every other city in the world when you choose to stay at a Four Seasons vs a Holiday Inn.

What is the typical number of genie plus they sell on a given day vs deluxe guests plus dvc guests? If the deluxe plus dvc is too many people I guess it wouldn't work out well.

As far as incentives for the deluxe resorts go, I just feel that there is currently just so little to incentivise guests to spend the extra money for deluxe over moderate hotels

Yes they did.

In a post on the official blog, Disney said, "We have heard from guests that they would like ways to plan with Disney Genie+ service and individual Lightning Lane selections before the day of their park visit, and we want you to know we are working on ways guests may do this for visits in 2024. Our goal is to give you the opportunity to spend less time planning in the park and more time enjoying your visit with friends and family. While we are not yet able to share specific details, we look forward to sharing more information at a later date.”

That was in May 2023

The speculation is that they are revamping DAS and need to complete that prior to rolling out Genie+ changes (waiting on lawsuit vs six flags b they use a service to verify disability)
Interesting about the lawsuit because Universal is using a service like that now as well.

That's how it is in every other city in the world when you choose to stay at a Four Seasons vs a Holiday Inn.

It doesn’t really matter how it is anywhere else. Disney’s main competition, Universal, offers a better option free with their deluxe hotels.

I’m not even saying I think it should be free with deluxe stays, but that argument against it doesn’t have any merit.

I don’t think there is a good solution to the issue, which is why I think Disney is struggling. They could raise the price, which would be exponentially painful to families. Genie+ is a no brainer at 25 a day for a solo guest at MK on a busy day. Genie+ for a family of 5 effectively turns that into a family of 6. Maybe you can do that one day of your trip, but an extra $125 a day added onto all the other exponential raises (when a Mickey bar goes up a dollar, it costs me $5 more every time we have one).

They could include it free with deluxe accommodation, but I think you’re correct that there are too many accommodations onsite and that might make it worse. They could get rid of it, which would lower standby time, and probably increase DAS abuse or cause people to go elsewhere. They could go back to FP, but charging for that after Genie seems like a step backwards. I think they need to increase the number of rides at 3 of the 4 parks so that it is semi useful at places other than just MK, and then they could play around with pricing until they reach a good percentage of guests using it. In my mind, anything over 50% means everyone who uses it is miserable, as is everyone who doesn’t. Add to all this that even when it works well in MK, all it takes is an extended ride downtime or multiple rides down to ruin the purchase of Genie for everyone who paid for it. Long story short- more rides needed to spread queues out, no way to fix that.

What is the typical number of genie plus they sell on a given day vs deluxe guests plus dvc guests? If the deluxe plus dvc is too many people I guess it wouldn't work out well.

As far as incentives for the deluxe resorts go, I just feel that there is currently just so little to incentivise guests to spend the extra money for deluxe over moderate hotels
I'm pretty sure Disney never releases the number of Genie+ sales. I don't think I've seen that type of info anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter