Run, Write, Run (comments welcome!)

Despite it all, it was your first and you still crushed it! :car:

Thank you! I'm glad to have learned from this race and still finished. :)

Congratulations! You really stuck it out through those issues - great job!

Also I love the pic of BB8 holding your medal 😍

Thanks!! I was on my way out of Hollywood Studios and noticed the statues. I realized BB-8 could hold my medal and had to try. :D

woo hoo! Great job! Looks like you had a lot of fun despite not everything going your way.

Thank you! It was so much fun. Thankfully the tummy issues were only the second part of the race. By the time we were on our way back to Epcot, I was feeling better.

Great job!! I loved all your pictures, you guys look like you had a blast!

Thank you! We had so much fun running together. I'm trying to convince her to do another, but it's a long shot. :)

That's awesome! Fantastic race. Congrats!!

That is an AWESOME picture! You need to frame it for sure. I also love your green running shoe tshirt.

Thank you! I wasn't sure about the shirt but it had the "Finisher" graphic on the back, so I had to get it. Now I love it.

Definitely framing the jump picture and the ramp picture. :D

Great job!! Congrats on your (first of many) half marathons!! 😄

Thank you! I suspect I will at least be doing Princess every year. :)

Glad you had such a great first experience. And there is always something to learn from each race, which it sounds like you did. Congrats!

Yeah, definitely. And I was still able to finish which was my major goal!

What a great HM! Congratulations!

I still do this on all rollercoasters, LOL!

Thank you!

If you aren't screaming on a roller coaster, what's the point? :)

Today was my first run back after Princess. I gave myself a few days off to rest. My legs hurt really bad on Monday, but were mostly better on Tuesday. Then I just felt exhausted. I worried maybe I caught something at the parks, but other than that, I'm feeling fine. My Garmin body battery has finally returned to normal. :D

As for future races, I am already registered for Springtime Surprise 10 miler in April and the Margaritaville 10k in September. My big focus for the 10 miler will be to fix my nutrition to make sure I don't have tummy issues in the future. I wasn't going to do the Margaritaville race again since last year's was so hot, but I'm planning to do the Disney Marathon next year so I figured a 10k at the end of September would be a fun catered training run.

Yes, I am planning to do the 2025 Disney Marathon. It falls on my birthday, so I feel like it's a sign. I requested a bib through the charity I ran with for Princess. They haven't confirmed I got one yet, but I'm going to assume it's happening. My main goal for that race will be FINISH, preferably with a smile.

I'm not planning to do Wine and Dine since I'm not thrilled with the themes and want to save some money. I am debating between the Space Coast Half Marathon and the OUC Orlando Half Marathon, both in December, to serve as catered long runs. I was leaning toward OUC since it's closer, but my friend is doing Space Coast and offered to let me stay at her house, so now I'm leaning toward that one. Plus, the time cutoff for the course is 7 hours, and it's a very chill race. (Alternatively, I could attempt to get 2:30 for a future Disney POT, but we'll see how I feel, haha.)

There's also the Winter Park Road Race 10k next month. Part of me really wants to see if I can get my 10k under the POT limit for future Disney races, which is 1:08. My current 10k PR is 1:15 from Marathon Weekend, and I felt like I could have been faster without course crowding. Still, 7 minutes is pretty substantial and I don't have much time to train. I will probably sign up anyway because it looks like an interesting course and it's probably the last time the weather will be decent for racing until next December, haha.

I was a big NASA-nerd growing up and the Space Coast Half just looks like so much fun! I really want to do it some year when I can abandon the kids before Christmas LOL
I'm an astronomer so by default a space nerd, but I didn't think the race course itself was that interesting from a space nerd perspective. I didn't get great views of NASA facilities - maybe I was hurting too much from the heat and humidity to notice! But the expo and the after-race party/celebration is nicely themed.

I went to Kennedy Space Center after the race for a few hours - the tour buses that they use there are definitely not made for people with sore legs! :)

I didn't get great views of NASA facilities - maybe I was hurting too much from the heat and humidity to notice! But the expo and the after-race party/celebration is nicely themed.
I agree with this - you're supposed to be able to see the Vehicle Assembly Building from the north course turnaround, but I was focused on the race and didn't even look. I think it was still pretty dark out at that point too. I did take a picture with a giant inflatable Mars after the race though!

First two weeks of March

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of running. I'm trying to run at least four days a week. Two easy runs of at least 5k, one shorter speed workout, and one long run of at least 10k. Last week I only did three runs, but I also did a mobility for runners youtube video. I've also been adding a little bit more strength training, but just some leg lifts for now. When Springtime Surprise is over, I'll look into a longer lifting program to build more glute/hip/core strength. I ran 6.5 miles on Friday along a new-ish route and really enjoyed it, although the heat got bad during the last few miles and I had to switch to :15/:30 intervals. But I'm trying to tell myself that's okay for easy/long runs to keep my heart rate down, especially now that Florida summer is fast approaching. I'm both excited to swim again but annoyed about it being hot when I run again. :P

I signed up for the Winter Park Road Race on March 23. I'm going to attempt to get a POT. It won't help me for the marathon (more on that later), but it will for halfs, so I figured I'd go for it. If I hit the 5k mark and have no chance of hitting the goal time, I'll slow down and just enjoy the rest of the course. The pace requirement is 15 min/mile so I'll be able to hit that with easy/run walking in case I get gassed, haha.

My other upcoming race is Springtime Surprise 10 miler. I don't know what my goals are for this race. It will depend on the course and the weather. My big thing will be working on my fueling to make sure I don't have stomach issues again.

And, as I stated in the Marathon Weekend thread, I got my bib for the marathon. I'm both extremely excited and terrified. I felt good after the Princess half, but I didn't run nearly as fast as I wanted to. So I'm not sure how I'll feel running twice the distance at marathon pace. But at least I know I can run at an easy pace and still finish half an hour ahead of the balloon ladies. I'm looking at different training options now. A lot of them seem very untenable for me as a slower runner with time constraints during the week. What I would give to be able to run under 10 minute easy pace miles. :P

My other upcoming race is Springtime Surprise 10 miler. I don't know what my goals are for this race. It will depend on the course and the weather. My big thing will be working on my fueling to make sure I don't have stomach issues again.
You have an advantage because you're already used to the weather there, but I remember the 10 miler last year being so warm! I took a picture each mile and you can see my face turn redder and redder.

And, as I stated in the Marathon Weekend thread, I got my bib for the marathon. I'm both extremely excited and terrified.
Yay!

What I would give to be able to run under 10 minute easy pace miles. :P
Preach it, sister.

I'm looking at different training options now. A lot of them seem very untenable for me as a slower runner with time constraints during the week.
Yes, this is a big issue for marathon training, I've also found. A lot of "typical" training plans seem to think people that run slower than 10-min miles aren't interested in doing marathons - or maybe they "shouldn't" be doing marathons. But looking at the stats for any big marathon shows there are tons of "slow" runners out there doing marathons.

When getting to longer distances, I found it more helpful to train for certain goal times rather than miles....so, a "long run" might be 1.5 hours or 2 hours, rather than X miles. Then if the weather is extra hot and humid, etc., you go a little slower but still get in the training time.

I'm not sure if you've looked done this previously, but I'd really encourage you to work with @DopeyBadger on a training plan specific for you. If you're planning to do run/walk intervals for a marathon, he can really help you figure out something reasonable for both your goals and your training time constraints. And also give you a reality check if your goals are too high for your training time constraints. :)

I'm not sure if you've looked done this previously, but I'd really encourage you to work with @DopeyBadger on a training plan specific for you. If you're planning to do run/walk intervals for a marathon, he can really help you figure out something reasonable for both your goals and your training time constraints. And also give you a reality check if your goals are too high for your training time constraints.

Billy is good at developing a balanced plan that takes into consideration all the variables (and I do mean all--he asks a lot of questions, which is great.) The only caveat here is that he is dealing with some family issues, and so may be otherwise occupied right now. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

I'm not sure if you've looked done this previously, but I'd really encourage you to work with @DopeyBadger on a training plan specific for you. If you're planning to do run/walk intervals for a marathon, he can really help you figure out something reasonable for both your goals and your training time constraints. And also give you a reality check if your goals are too high for your training time constraints. :)
Yup, Billy gave me my plan for the half! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter