Running for my Disney - Now a PTR!

Well, I finally have some more news!

We have just booked in our accommodation for the week at DLR. Going with something a bit different this time and trying out a vacation rental!

Mickey's Magical Getaway # 3

We still needed something just a short walk away. This one is much closer than Peacock Suites where we stayed last time. Maybe even close enough to go for a rest in the afternoons!

The handiest features will be the kitchen (we probably won't cook, but will definitely get some breakfast supplies, and maybe a few frozen meals or something), laundry facilities, and downstairs living room with its own toilet.

And the best news is, with the current promotion, it actually works out cheaper than the 2 x basic standard rooms at Stovall's Inn that I was looking at :thumbsup2

I'm a little bit nervous, but so many DISers have had great experiences with vacation rentals, I'm sure it will be fine :goodvibes

In other news, I have found a sports doctor to go to about my shins (thanks to MickeyD), so I'll be booking that in as soon as work starts to quiet down in January. Hopefully they will be able to find something!

In the meantime, I've been working on a Jeff Galloway style plan. Unfortunately I don't seem to cope with much more than 10 seconds running for every 2 minutes walking :sad2: But at least it's something! And getting my aerobic fitness up at the gym on the bike and cross trainer.

I recently (about 6 weeks ago) started walking and have graduated (at times) to a very slow jog.
I started out with terrible shin splints and had alot of trouble walking even up the stairs at work.
I changed my runners (mine seemed to be too heavy for my legs, go figure :lmao:) and am conscious about the way I move, being very careful that the way I am walking/running isn't causing any undue stress on my legs.

Also, icing them should be a big help, fill a small cup with water and freeze and run it up and down your shins.

Try not to give up, i'd love to do one of the Disney marathons one day (when I can run for more than two minutes without dying would be wonderful :rotfl2:).

And your trip sounds awesome, going to have a look at Stovall's, looks like it's just had a reno?

I recently (about 6 weeks ago) started walking and have graduated (at times) to a very slow jog.
I started out with terrible shin splints and had alot of trouble walking even up the stairs at work.
I changed my runners (mine seemed to be too heavy for my legs, go figure :lmao:) and am conscious about the way I move, being very careful that the way I am walking/running isn't causing any undue stress on my legs.

Also, icing them should be a big help, fill a small cup with water and freeze and run it up and down your shins.

Try not to give up, i'd love to do one of the Disney marathons one day (when I can run for more than two minutes without dying would be wonderful :rotfl2:).

And your trip sounds awesome, going to have a look at Stovall's, looks like it's just had a reno?

Oh, don't worry. I'm not giving up :thumbsup2 Just gotta get a bit creative. I've gone through 3 pairs of shoes. My current ones seem to be the best. I was originally fitted with shoes that have all the support and padding to keep my feet from rolling in, but similar to you, I think they're too heavy for me with all that stuff. My current ones are basically flat, kinda minimalist shoes that are nice and light. I ice my legs after every exercise session, doesn't seem to do much for me, but it can't hurt!

Are you doing the couch 2 5k? That was how I got started and it was just wonderful! It was definitely hard work, but I made such quick progress having a specific plan to work on and knowing that I had to make myself go that little bit further each time :goodvibes Now, running 2 minutes in a row is easy as far as cardio is concerned. If only my darn legs would cooperate!

It did look like Stovall's Inn had recently been renovated. The rooms looked nice and fresh and new, and it gets decent reviews on Trip Advisor.

Next item on the agenda... registering for the 10k run! This is obviously of extreme importance as it is the entire reason for our trip in the first place :thumbsup2

I received a RunDisney email update yesterday (as the Expedition Everest Challenge is opening for registrations today), which contained a note about the opening date/time for the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend :cool1:

Registration opens at 12 noon EST on 28 January. According to a time 'converter' I found, this is 4am on 29 January for me :crazy2: (Please feel free to correct me if this is wrong). Last year the 10k sold out within an hour or something ridiculous, so I will be getting up at 3:30am that morning and refreshing my screen until registration opens :surfweb:

Wow, I'm impressed that there are so many eager runners in the world that the race sells out so quickly. I'm jealous of your motivation.

Good luck getting the booking.

Good luck! I hope you get registered.

Wow, I'm impressed that there are so many eager runners in the world that the race sells out so quickly. I'm jealous of your motivation.

Good luck getting the booking.

I'm actually hopeful that it won't sell out so quickly next year. This year it was the first 10k that RunDisney had ever done, so I think there was a bit of a novelty factor coming into it. Now that RunDisney have included a 10k in all the other events too, people might not feel such a pressing need to register for this specific one.

But if you think that's bad Wanderlust, my parents tell me the half ironman event in Western Australia sells out in about half an hour, and ends up with a long waiting list. I really couldn't imagine that there would be so many people so desperate to spend 8 hours swimming 1.9km, cycling 90km, then running 21km :confused3 Doesn't sound like a fun-filled day to me :lmao:

Glad you are working through your splint issues and may have found some help - good luck for Jan and fingers crossed you get the reservation after all this training. Lazy me - I am still very impressed with your tenacity despite setbacks!

Well, is often the way with long-planned trips, we have made some changes to our itinerary, and locked things down a bit more over Christmas. We'll be staying longer in some places, and have added a night here and there to break up the driving a bit more. Sadly, this comes at the expense of San Diego. Here is Itinerary V3!

Thursday 28th August
Melbourne - Anaheim (flights yet to be booked)
Settle in and check out the local area (inc Downtown Disney of course!)

Friday 29th August
Anaheim
RunDisney Expo and packet pick-up
More shopping time at Downtown Disney
Fireworks viewing from rooftop terrace at hotel

Saturday 30th August
Anaheim
RunDisney 10km event
Resort hopping inc massages at the Grand Californian and celebratory drinks at Trader Sam's

Sunday 31st August
Anaheim - Palm Desert
Pick up hire car, drive to Palm Desert
Sunday Champagne Brunch at Mission Inn, Riverside
Depending on how we feel, we may take the scenic route around the mountain via Idyllwild-Pine Cove

Monday 1st September
Palm Desert
Mountain bike descent along the San Andreas fault
Palm Springs aerial tramway up to the top of the mountain

Tuesday 2nd September
Palm Desert - Twentynine Palms
Early morning drive through Joshua Tree National Park, stopping at various points of interest/short walks along the way
Possible visit to Pioneertown
Late afternoon drive through the northern section of Joshua Tree National Park, taking in the sunset

Wednesday 3rd September
Twentynine Palms - Kernville
Calico Ghost Town, maybe ride the train there
Drive through Red Rock Canyon State Park

Thursday 4th September
Kernville
Drive through southern area of the Sequoia National Forest, stopping at the Trail of 100 Giants
Picnic lunch in the forest
Dinner at Kern River Brewing Company

Friday 5th September
Kernville - Arroyo Grande
Haven't found many points of interest on this drive as yet
Views around Santa Margarita Lake
Rinconada Mine short walking trail

Saturday 6th September
Arroyo Grande
Return to Freedom Wild Horse Sanctuary
La Purisima Mission State Historic Park
Reservoir Canyon trail, San Luis Obispo
Drive around Morro Bay State Park, stopping at various points of interest/short walks along the way

Sunday 7th September
Arroyo Grande - Camarillo
Morning tea in Solvang
Stop at any points of interest in Santa Barbara
If we feel like it, take a short detour to Ojai
Camarillo outlet shopping!

Monday 8th September
Camarillo - Anaheim
Via Malibu
Drop off hire car

Tuesday 9th September
Anaheim
Day 1 DLR

Wednesday 10th September
Anaheim
Day 2 DLR

Thursday 11th September
Anaheim
Universal Studios, we'll just get the tickets that include transportation

Friday 12th September
Anaheim
Day 3 DLR

Saturday 13th September
Anaheim
Local beach area, including Queen Mary (just have to figure out the best way to achieve without a car)

Sunday 14th September
Anaheim
Day 4 DLR, celebrating my birthday
Some special activity, possibly a Fantasmic! Dessert Party

Monday 15th September
Anaheim
Day 5 DLR

Tuesday 16th September
Anaheim - Melbourne
Say goodbye to DLR and begin the long trek home :sad1:

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received :goodvibes

Here's a review of our accommodation so far. I've tried to stay clear of standard chain hotel accommodation. All places have free wifi and parking. All except for DLR have worked out to under $50pp per night (some well under) :goodvibes DLR is not much over that at all.

Anaheim
Thursday 28th August - Sunday 31st August
Desert Inn & Suites
Parlor Family Suite C2

Here's an overview of the room. We needed 2 separate bedrooms, as well as a separate sitting area for Mum. Also thought it would be handy having 2 full bathrooms.

Bedroom

Sitting area

This one is booked and ready to go.

Palm Desert
Sunday 31st August - Tuesday 2nd September
We're looking at a rental on VRBO, but only at the initial enquiry stage and nothing has been decided yet.

Twentynine Palms
Tuesday 2nd September - Wednesday 3rd September
Sunnyvale Gardens Suites Hotel
Two Bedroom Suite
Decided, but not booked

Kernville
Wednesday 3rd September - Friday 5th September
Corral Creek Resort
2 x King Room
Decided, but not booked

Arroyo Grande
Friday 5th September - Sunday 7th September
VRBO Rental

Cute country cottage

Great views over the surrounding hills, farmland, and all the way out to the ocean on a clear day.

Living room, there is also a small kitchenette and dining nook behind where the photographer is.

Main bedroom. The second bedroom only comes with twin beds, but we'll manage for 2 nights.

Camarillo
Sunday 7th September - Monday 8th September
Bella Capri Inn & Suites
Tower Suite (2 bedroom)
Decided, but not booked

Anaheim
Monday 8th September - Tuesday 16th September
VRBO Rental, right across the road from DLR

Nicely furnished patio area - apparently you can see the fireworks from there.

Living area - there is also a fireplace (probably not much use in September) and a large flat panel TV on the wall.

Pretty cool looking full kitchen with dining area.

Main bedroom with ensuite (Mum will appreciate the horse bedhead even if Dad doesn't :rotfl:)

Kids bedroom (which is obviously where DH and I will be sleeping - he has already called top bunk :rotfl:)

Disney-themed main bathroom

Adults only pool in the complex.

WOW! Nice driving road trip. Love the look of the VRBOs. Hope they work out.

WOW! Nice driving road trip. Love the look of the VRBOs. Hope they work out.

It must be an ok plan then if the queen of US road trips likes it :thumbsup2 I'm sure we will make small adjustments as we go, but I'm glad to have the general outline of it fairly locked in.

I don't think I want to know how much time I've spent on the VRBO website in the last few weeks :sad2: I may have gotten slightly addicted :rotfl:

It must be an ok plan then if the queen of US road trips likes it :thumbsup2 I'm sure we will make small adjustments as we go, but I'm glad to have the general outline of it fairly locked in.

I don't think I want to know how much time I've spent on the VRBO website in the last few weeks :sad2: I may have gotten slightly addicted :rotfl:

;)

The VRBO website is very addictive. :surfweb:

Haha, it is so addictive. There are so many wonderful properties, but the challenge seems to be finding the ones that look like they're reliable and the reviews are genuine.

Your properties look great, as does your whole trip. :thumbsup2

I spent ages looking at your VRBO property as technically it has enough space for us if my son and mother in law shared the kids room. In the end I opted for one of Britta's 3 bedroom properties to give my MIL a bit of privacy. All of her places look so great and the service I've received so far has been excellent. Can't wait.

I spent ages looking at your VRBO property as technically it has enough space for us if my son and mother in law shared the kids room. In the end I opted for one of Britta's 3 bedroom properties to give my MIL a bit of privacy. All of her places look so great and the service I've received so far has been excellent. Can't wait.

No point squishing everyone in! We were lucky that with just the 4 of us, we could look at 2 bedroom places as well. Our main requirements were a very close walking location to DLR (as we won't have a car for that part of the trip), 2 bathrooms, and 2 full size beds (harder than it sounds :rotfl:).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter