Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

I just checked my resting heart rate data for last week. For reference, it’s usually mid 40s when training and can creep down to high 30s when I’m taking a break. My resting heart rate was 59 last Friday! No wonder those runs were so rough.
Ok, so not just me. I glanced down at my watch after I had been sitting tonight and saw 45 bpm and started an internet search to see if that was too low.
Whew

Ok, so not just me. I glanced down at my watch after I had been sitting tonight and saw 45 bpm and started an internet search to see if that was too low.
Whew
Totally normal for endurance athletes. I believe it’s from the exercise making our hearts more efficient and therefore needing less effort when at rest.
IMG_2835.jpeg

P.S. Also don’t judge my steps, it’s a rest day and I missed two of the dog walks due to other obligations.

WDW Marathon Training Week 8/18
giphy.gif

With my dining window quickly approaching, it’s the perfect time to mention a meal that I’m looking forward to: Hoop Dee Doo. My brother really wants to go so I agreed to tag along 🙃. I’m hoping that we can swing it as such that I can make s’mores with the chipmunks afterward but I’m guessing I won’t be hungry.

23 Oct - Easy 6
This run was ROUGH. My calves were inexplicably tight and I had abdominal cramps about halfway. Neither of these are problems that I regularly deal with so they both caught me by surprise.

24 Oct - Speed 6x800
My first speedwork in over a month 😮. I wisely adjusted the schedule to pick up where I left off but I should have either taken a step back or changed from 5K to 10K pace. Regardless, it was difficult but not impossible.

I tried to do some strength after this but my legs screamed “NO!” during the first backward lunge 😆

25 Oct - Rest

26 Oct - Easy 5
I had to squeeze this in between work and a Halloween party. It was supposed to be my m tempo run but I only had an hour including shower time so that wasn’t happening. Managed what I could and planned to complete the tempo on Friday.

27 Oct - M Tempo 3.5+3.5
It was our first cold day and with 40 mph gusts, I decided to take this one on the treadmill. I had to stop halfway to use the potty but was planning to split the 7 miles regardless. The run felt difficult but possible, similar to Tuesday.

28 Oct - Easy 10
This run went surprisingly well. I was expecting it to be a bit of a slog with the tempo work the day before but I felt really loose and fast. It was still cold but slightly less windy so I tried to enjoy fall while I could.
68B1FF4D-AABB-4DDB-A05A-F59624108624.jpeg

29 Oct - Easy 10
Felt a bit more fatigued so headed to a nearby crushed trail as I figured it would be easier on my body. It was still cold and I regret not wearing a heavier layer on top but I survived.
A40BEA56-9B1E-44E2-8899-9DA22E1B6279.jpeg

All in all, I’m really happy with how the week went. I was a little worried at how the last few weeks have gone but I already have more mileage this October than last and I felt very prepared heading into that marathon. (Very slight increase, but there’s also still two days remaining!)

Finally, here’s the marathon shape graph:
IMG_2856.jpeg
Lowest prognostic time yet 😁. Let’s keep those numbers falling!! 🍀🍀

WDW Marathon Training Week 9/18
giphy.gif

I’m going to cut right to the chase this week, it didn’t end well. I have a lot of doubts about how the marathon will go. I thought I was turning a corner last week, but I got thrown another curveball on Thursday. I’m trying to stay focused on the positive, like how I’ll be doing a fun park hopping challenge, 4 parks in approximately 4 hours. If I’m going to run a marathon undertrained, I prefer it to be at WDW.

30 Oct - Easy 7
It was the GOTR practice 5K so I just ran with the girls at practice. We run .3 mile laps around the school so it was a good option for cheering on the girls and getting some miles in.

Completed a 20 min stability routine after and it was a cruel reminder how much I had been skipping my strength training.

31 Oct - Speed 5x1000
Based on my learnings from the prior week, I aimed for 10K pace instead of 5K. It was brutally windy but my pacing was much better than I expected. I cut the cool down a little short because I was running late, but still covered over 7 miles total.

1 Nov - Rest

2 Nov - Uggghhhhh
I was scheduled for 7 marathon tempo miles. These always make me nervous but I did 3.5 + 3.5 the week before so I still had some confidence. I started with 1.5 mi warm up. First tempo mile was a bit slow but I wasn’t worried. Then all of a sudden just before mile 2 there was a sharp pain in my left calf. I tried stretching, walking, jogging, but eventually called my partner to pick me up. It wasn’t getting better and I was nervous I’d really hurt myself if I pushed through. It’s been YEARS since I’ve had calf issues and this caught me totally off guard. Last time around, I took nearly a year off so trying my best to be smart and avoid that.

3 Nov - Rest
My calf bothered me most of the day so I skipped the run. I did do another 20 min strength session plus 10 min calf yoga to try to help.

4 Nov - Rest
My calf was feeling better but my right hip felt pinched. It was impacting my ability to walk so skipped another run. 20 minutes of hip unwinding at the end of the day.

5 Nov - Easy 6
Scheduled for 15 and after missing the 14 two weeks ago, I really wanted to do this. However, it didn’t seem like a good idea. I dug out my old calf compression sleeves to see what I could manage. I nearly turned around in the first half mile but decided to get to the bridge and check in again. The pain came and went but never got any worse. I followed up the run with 10 min runner release to loosen things back up.

So, that’s where we’re at. Missed over 25 miles this week. 😩 Right now the focus is just to get to the start line healthy and hope that I can reevaluate in a few weeks. Will definitely be putting more focus on my strength and stretching!!

I guess I should have used more lucky emojis in last weeks’ post. Although the prognosis did go down again 🤷‍♀️
IMG_2897.jpeg
💕✨🌈🍀🤞🐰

Last edited:

Sorry you’re having issues, hope they resolve soon. Remember this is merely a bump in the training road!

Marathon Training Week 10/18
D806AE55-3566-48A7-87C2-BFAD4B6FDEEC2022-01-08_12-06-33_686.jpeg

In honor of this funny clip that a friend sent me this weekend, it’s time to mention how much I’m looking forward to experiencing Epcot without the rat maze walls. Regardless of what is or isn’t behind the walls, it’s going to be way easier to get around and the photos will be much better.

6 Nov - Easy 6
I ran this before work and it was so nice to have the morning daylight back. Afterward I completed a 20 min runner stability routine that left my glutes sore for days and 10 min yoga focused on calves. Everything felt much looser (in a good way).

7 Nov - Easy 6
I was awakened in the middle of the night by a Charlie horse. This used to happen frequently 5-ish years ago and I feared this was a return to that. Fortunately, that’s been the only time so far but a reminder that I’m still dealing with calf tightness. I completed my run after work so got to experience the opposite side of the end of daylight savings, trying to get home before it gets too dark!
IMG_2907.jpeg
Fortunately, the path is lit and there were still lots of folks just heading out when I returned. I followed up the run with 10 min runners yoga cool down flow. For anyone that needs help with mobility, I highly recommend this workout from the Nike training app. They have several to choose from but this one hits all the right/tight areas.

I also voted and got my flu & covid vaccines. The voting doesn’t really impact my training, but doing the two together made me feel like a responsible adult. After some discussion on here, I figured this was as good of a week as any to sneak in the vaccines since I was only doing easy runs regardless.

8 Nov - REST
I got very little sleep because I’m a side sleeper and both of my arms were sore. I was basically a zombie all day because of that and then in the evening the chills, joint aches, and nausea set in. I started regretting most of my life choices. Plus my arms still hurt so I had no idea how I was going to get any actual sleep.

9 Nov - Easy 6
Felt like a completely new human. The weather was also absurdly nice. Overall my calf was 4/10 on a pain scale. Definitely noticeable but nothing that I needed to stop for.

10 Nov - Easy 6
We had the day off work and spent it prepping and painting my office. The paint swatches have been on my wall for over a year so it was time. This took ALL day and around 4:30, I had to sneak out so that I could fit by run in.

The run was uneventful except for the swarm of birds. These birds fly east every sunrise and then back west just before sunset. There are literally thousands of them and it’s quite the spectacle.
IMG_2936.jpeg

11 Nov - Easy 5
Unfortunately, this run was not uneventful. It was going well until 2.5 miles when my calf started screaming at me. My plan was to run 10 miles per the schedule but at this point, I decided to cut my losses and head home. I followed the run with 20 min of yoga to try to loosen things up a bit. I’m guessing all the squatting and ladder climbing from the previous two days did me no favors in that regard.

12 Nov - Easy 10 + GOTR 5K
I never know how much my running buddy will actually run, so I wanted to get my run in before the celebration. Plus, I was really nervous that I’d actually injure myself at the 5K. Most of the girls do not understand pacing and 100 yd dash followed by 5 min of walking is the most common strategy.

The good news is that the weather was perfect and I completed my runs without issue! My calf actually felt much better during my last mile than it had all week, like maybe all it needed was some miles to loosen up.

The 5K also went fairly well running wise although my buddy was having stomach cramps and we walked a bit more than she would have liked. Either way, it was so fun to see all the girls accomplish their goals and cheer for each other!

I can’t believe we’re only 8 weeks until the WDW marathon! It feels like training hasn’t really started. I’m guessing that’s because I haven’t been able to do a lot of the workouts. Because of this, I’ve decided to switch my plan to the “just finish” plan which only has easy mileage. I’m not able to do the speed/tempo work right now and with race day looming, I need a plan that I have confidence I can complete. This plan is also a bit lower mileage so I’m going to sneak in some more strength work and hope that helps with all of my nagging niggles. If I’m feeling good in a few weeks, I might bump up the mileage or add in some marathon pace miles but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

For now, I’ll leave you with the latest numbers from runalyze which really didn’t change much this week.
IMG_2957.jpeg

Marathon Training Week 11
giphy.gif

Wow! Each passing week makes it even more real than the last. Only 7 more to go! Which means only 7 more weeks to get over my nerves and come say hi at the pre race meetup. I've been around these boards for a minute but always found an excuse not to join. This year that's going to change! I've really enjoyed interacting with y'all and it's time to put some names to faces. So without further ado, I'm looking forward to making new friends this marathon weekend! 👋

13 Nov - Easy 5
It was our community impact project day at GOTR and I neglected to run beforehand so that meant running on the treadmill afterward. The run was fine.

I followed the run with the first workout in Jillian Michaels 90 Day Shred. I'm not intending to follow the program entirely since there's only 30 days until I migrate south and I'm running instead of doing whatever her cardio workout is. But, I'm frugal and I already own these. Plus each workout is only 30 min and that's about all the extra time I have.

14 Nov - Easy 7
My legs were tired from the lifting the day before so I suppose I'm still getting practice running on tired legs even if it's a different type of tired.

I ran right after work from my office so it was an unfamiliar trail that was rather boring. Nice and flat but not much to look at except empty fields and very little traffic. I could see how some would love this, but I need more distractions. 😅 I listened to Cake's The Distance which instantly put a smile on my face as I flashbacked to the blizzard beach parking lot in January. I wasn't really enjoying myself during that part of the race but I've always loved that song and I was so surprised to hear it at a Disney race.

I completed the second JM workout when I got home. On the bright side, 30 min feels short when you're used to running for an hour+. However, everything hurts and I'm sore.

15 Nov - Rest

16 Nov - Easy 5
I was feeling really good halfway through and started considering doing some strides at the end but my calf quickly chimed in that wasn't a good idea.

I had a one day trip for work so I got to run another different route. It is a trail that I run a few times a year when I travel but still nice to mix things up.

IMG_2980.jpeg
The plan was to do W01 when I got home but I was exhausted. Literally made dinner and went straight to bed.

17 Nov - Easy 6
Really enjoying this fall weather at the moment! The run was fine but to capitalize on the nice weather, we decided to hang Christmas lights afterward so it was another day of missed strength.

My porch is currently very confused 😆
IMG_3025.jpeg

18 Nov - Easy 8
I was still tired from the travel earlier in the week and sad that I couldn't sleep in but I wasn't about to skip out on my volunteer commitment with the zoo. Afterward, I completed my run even though I really didn't want to. I would have much preferred to lounge on the couch but that was not an option. Not if I want to enjoy the marathon.

19 Nov - Easy 16
Eeeek! My first 16 miler!! For those unfamiliar, that's the longest distance in the Hanson plan. And also just to recap, I had missed the preceding 14 and 15 milers so this one was intimidating and also non negotiable. I headed out to the nearby 4 mile lake loop not sure what mileage I would actually manage but determined to try. Around mile 6 my calf got extra cranky and I got nervous but it quickly calmed down and I proceeded without issue. I was tired when I got to 16 but I did feel like I could keep going if I had to so I'm counting it as a success. ☺️
IMG_3005.jpeg

In conjunction with switching to "easy" mode for my training, I've also adjusted my goal. This very well could and probably will change again but I feel like it's a good place to set my sights for now. You can see the goal adjustment in the graph below. And, much to my delight, the prognosis also dropped considerably, giving me hope that as long as I can stay on the tracks, a new PR isn't out of the question.

IMG_3021.jpeg

Last edited:
Marathon Training Week 12
giphy.gif
Originally I was going to tell you how much I am looking forward to the post race snack box, but then I realized those aren’t the only snacks I’m excited about. I don’t have any must have snacks but I’m sure at least one of them will be Mickey shaped 😀.

20 Nov - Easy 5
Just barely managed to get this one done before dark. Followed it up with JM WO1 which felt just a tad easier this time around.

21 Nov - Easy 7
This run was memorable for the scenery. Mostly that I got a selfie with a giant Thanksgiving turkey and a giant Christmas tree. This time of year is very confusing. Also completed WO2.

22 Nov - Easy 6
Pushed back my rest day so I could have Thanksgiving off. I felt really good and even snuck in a few strides at the end. I just barely finished before my mom arrived. My weights are in the guest room so no time for lifting.

23 Nov - Rest
Officially a rest day but I spent the entire morning prepping and cooking in the kitchen. Then spent the afternoon decorating two Christmas trees. I didn’t even get my traditional Thanksgiving nap 😴

24 Nov - Easy 3+3
The windchill was in the teens and I would have run this on the treadmill but my mom was still visiting and she had packed her gear so we could participate in the pie run at the local running store. We managed 3 miles together then ate a slice of pie. When we got home, I ran 3 more for a total of 6. Then I did WO1 again.

25 Nov - Easy 8
We were forecast for snow in the evening but it started sooner than predicted so I got my first snow run of the season. It was pretty light and a non factor but fun to watch.
IMG_3105.jpeg

26 Nov - Easy 10
I was so very glad to be on a “down” week. The snow was still covering the trails when I went out which made for a fun but challenging run. I noticed my hip and calves a bit in this run. I’m sure because of all the work they were doing to provide stability
IMG_3113.jpeg

All in all, I’m really happy with how the week went. I didn’t hit my goal of 4 strength sessions, but did get more than last week. And overall I’m feeling good. Still not quite the training that I imagined, but putting in miles nonetheless. The runalyze numbers are still dropping so I must be doing something right 😊

IMG_3121.jpeg

Marathon Training Week 13
image.jpeg

With the impending debut of Luminous now is the perfect time to mention that I’m looking forward to seeing this new show during marathon weekend. i have no preconceived opinions or expectations. i just enjoy explosions in the sky and Disney music and I’m guessing both of those will make an appearance.

27 Nov - Easy 7
It was cold and windy but at least the sun was out. I had to stop halfway to join a call which took longer than I expected and my legs froze up a bit but they warmed up quick enough. I completed WO2 after the run.
IMG_3130.jpeg

28 Nov - Easy 6
My body was absolutely wrecked after the strength session the day before. Probably a sign that I need to keep at it. The run still went well but the temp dropped quickly as the sun set. Plus, I saw the cutest tree gnomes 😄 I followed up the run with WO1 which wasn’t nearly as bad as 2.
IMG_3139.jpeg

29 Nov - Rest

30 Nov - M Tempo 3.5
My calf hadn’t been a problem lately plus we had evening plans so I was pressed for time so I decided to swap a few easy miles for pace work. This was a good test and I was prepared to shut it down but fortunately it didn’t come to that.

1 Dec - Easy 5
There was a weirdo blocking my usual route with his bike so I made a u turn and took a different course. Of course I saw him again when I was almost finished but at least that time I was right outside a Starbucks and not all alone. He was shouting something indiscernible but didn’t make any movement toward me so it turned out to be a non event, but better safe than sorry.

2 Dec - Easy 8
I had to run an errand in the suburbs so decided to check out a new trail. It was nice and flat but relatively untraveled and therefore boring. There was also this confusing moment where it told me to keep right and turn left at the same time 🤷‍♀️
IMG_3152.jpeg

3 Dec - Easy 16
Blegh, this run was a complete slog. I really wasn’t interested but went for it anyway. I hoped that my attitude would change after a few miles but it didn’t. I never found my groove. At the end of my run, everything hurt, especially my feet and back. This surprised me quite a bit since it was my second 16 miler and the first wasn’t this bad. I know we all have bad runs but I think I need new shoes 😬. I ran in a fairly new pair of a model I’ve been running in for 5+ years but this was a new version and something must have changed because OW! My right foot still hurts 24 hours later 😖

On the bright side, the runalyze numbers are still trending down. It’s probably time that I reiterate that I don’t trust them but they’re fun to track and I would guess they are at least directionally correct.

IMG_3157.jpeg

I ran in a fairly new pair of a model I’ve been running in for 5+ years but this was a new version and something must have changed because OW! My right foot still hurts 24 hours later 😖
This drives me mad! I'll find a shoe I like, then the next version comes out and it's no longer ok. Why do they have to change them so much? I hope your foot feels better soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter