Ryan Seacrest

AppleDumpling

DIS Veteran
It’s been announced that Ryan Seacrest will take over as host of Wheel Of Fortune next year when Pat Sajak retires.

I’m not a huge WOF fan, although I sometimes watch to fill the time after Jeopardy. I like Ryan, and he’s certainly had a very successful career in television for close to two decades. Yet I was kind of surprised to hear this. Guess I expected the job would be offered to Vanna White, maybe with Pat’s daughter Maggie, who’s filled in on the show, as the letter turner. Thoughts?

There are rumors that they won’t have a letter turner anymore and that Vanna has hired an attorney to try and keep her job. I have nothing against Vanna, but technology has come a long way since the show began and I am surprised they hadn’t revamped the format before.

I don’t watch the show, so the change of hosts doesn’t bother me. I am not a big Ryan fan in general though.

There are rumors that they won’t have a letter turner anymore and that Vanna has hired an attorney to try and keep her job. I have nothing against Vanna, but technology has come a long way since the show began and I am surprised they hadn’t revamped the format before.

I don’t watch the show, so the change of hosts doesn’t bother me. I am not a big Ryan fan in general though.
I do watch the show. If Vanna moves on I think Maggie Sajak may take her place.

TMZ Live made a few hypotheses today after the announcement came out. They don't have any definitive details of any of this, so it's doubtful any of the other rumors going about have any truth to them either.

They suspect negotiations have been in the work for some time. :scratchin The Merv Griffin company that owns WOF also owns Jeopardy. After the whole debacle of trying to find a host for Jeopardy, then the scandal that Mike Richards named himself as host after the pretense of looking for another person, then his scandal that ended his hosting gig, The Merv Griffin company wanted to have as little drama as possible in securing a new host.

Whatever people think of Ryan, he has a pretty squeaky clean reputation. He knows how to host and he won't put his foot in his mouth. He just moved back to the west coast after leaving Kelly & Ryan. So, he may have factored that into his plans to be there for this.

As for Vanna, her contract supposedly goes a year beyond Pat Sajak's. So, IF they decide to keep her on, which would be good, so as not to lose both long-term co-hosts on the show at the same time or right after each other, she is in a powerful negotiating position to re-new her contract.

And if negotiations with Vanna don't work out, there's the possibility of Maggie taking over her spot. They may want a younger demographic with Ryan and Maggie.

Of course, the producers may want to revamp the show completely, as a PP said. Starting right away when Ryan takes over may be the time to do it all.

When they started mentioning potential replacements the only one I rolled my eyes about and didn’t want was Seacrest. :rolleyes2 I have said it before on here - I’m just not a fan. He irritates me and for no good reason. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just one of those things.

The one name thrown out there I’d like to see as a guest host was Mario Lopez. He could go either way - incredibly good or horrifically bad.

Ryan probably is the best fit, but when you can’t stand the guy and you really enjoyed Sajak, it is a bummer.

Honestly, it's only a TV game show so not sure why naming a new host regardless of who they chose is that big of a deal. Once they started using TV screens several years ago, there was no longer a need for Vanna's job. It would have made sense to eliminate the 'letter turning' job when Pat left and also have Vanna retire. I also never understood how Pat's daughter got into the picture and seemed like he probably pulled some strings to get her whatever job she does on the show. Have seen that on some other shows where the star uses his/her influence get a family member a job. Not a fan of Ryan Seacrest, seems very self-absorbed, aloof, has a big ego and constantly seemed to be trying to overplay his minor role on American Idol. Also lost track of how many other jobs he already has.

We watch WOF every night - it comes on here after the news at 6:30pm. We have a TV in the kitchen so we watch the news and WOF while eating dinner.

I was happy to hear that Ryan Seacrest is going to host. He’s a younger familiar face that many will enjoy seeing. I’m good with it, and I’m looking forward to seeing how he does on the show 🙂👍🏼

I also never understood how Pat's daughter got into the picture and seemed like he probably pulled some strings to get her whatever job she does on the show.

It's quite possible that Maggie was brought in by the producers to undercut any negotiation power Vanna may have if she stays on the show. They could always say, "Well Vanna, if you don't want to do the show for [the peanuts of a raise they are offering her,] we'll just get Maggie to do it. She would even save us money as we don't even have to pay her half of what you are getting now. She is a Sajak, so the audience will have no problem with her replacing you. . ."

Not a fan of Seacrest, too much of him for the past 20 or so years... I don't know who would have been a better replacement though. I am sure Rob Lowe is probably due for a new role soon, perhaps he could have taken over? Lowe changes acting role mores often than most people change their underpants.

I think she handles their social media, so not usually in front of the camera.

Thanks for the explanation. I know I don't fully pay attention when I watch the show. But, I thought she would have registered more than the few times I've seen her recently.

Awhile back Vanna filled in for Pat and she was so boring she was painful to watch. Time for her to retire -- please!

Well, I rarely watch, especially since Sajak became increasingly…….obnoxious. That said, Ryan is a safe,benign choice. The daughter seemed annoying when I’ve stumbled across her. Dear Vanna, move on gracefully dear. You’ve done well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter