Safety Question

Whosemom

DIS Veteran
Of course, prompted by the thread on that tragic accident. My prayers, too, going out to the family.

Here's my question/situation. I don't know that there's anything I can change, but would like to hear comments from those of you who are more experienced.

We bought a '79 Jayco pop-up. Think, HEAVY by todays standards. It even has tandem axels [i think its called that...two axels(4 wheels) right next to each other]. We were told our car is more than adequate to tow it ('90 caddy brougham with a big engine).

The trailer has surge breaks. The dealer told us we can't use sway bars in conjunction with that type of break. Is that true? Are we reasonably safe? What tends to cause people to lose control? I heard someone say as little as a truck zooming past. Is it safer to stick to surface streets as opposed to the freeway?

Just picking your brains here. Thanks!

First of all, don't take this the wrong way - it may sound blunt.

You must figure out what you are capable of towing. The owners manual for your Caddy will spell it out. The hard part is you may need to do some calculations, they generally have several tables you need to refer to depending on the optional equipment installed in YOUR car. You may also need to refer to the owners manual for the hitch installed on your vehicle.

Once you have those numbers, (yes there is more than one number you need to know) compare them to the weights on your tow vehicle-trailer combination as it is loaded for a trip. I can't stress this enough - weigh your trailer! The numbers on the little sticker inside are usually a work of fiction. That is the weight of the base trailer when it left the factory. Any options installed are usually not included. Additionally you would be shocked to see how much the stuff we take camping weighs. I know I was.

While there are multiple numbers to review and make sure you are within the limits, the two most important are Gross Combined Weight Rating and the tongue weight.

Take your tow vehicle-trailer combination and get them weighed when loaded for a trip. You will want to visit a commercial multi platform scale for this weight. You want a multi platform scale, because you not only want to be below maximum weights you don't want to exceed the ratings of any single axle. While I doubt you would exceed the limits with your tandem axle, you may be putting too much weight on the back axle of the Caddy with your tongue weight, full trunk and people in the car. Make sure your numbers are within the limits of your tow vehicle with a safety margin. Some people say never more than 75% of your maximum.

I have heard that there are sway control devices that can be used with surge brakes. You may want to check out some of the manufacturer web sites to find out.

I'm sorry to say that asking auto dealerships and RV dealers these type of questions does not usually get you the correct answer. There are very few people at car dealerships who understand towing other than they can sell you a tow package. They don't understand the things that start to happen when you put an additional 2000 pounds on the back of your car.

RV dealers are really no better. Their goal is to sell you a trailer. If they have to tell you you can tow a 2500 pound pop up with your Geo Metro, many will:( .

It is your responsibility as the owner and person who is putting the lives of both your family and mine in harms way when you tow without a full understanding of the dynamics involved.

As I posted on the other thread, here are some pages that might help out:

Towing and Hitch Information

Sway Information

Break Away Switch

Campsite Safety

I'm not sure what surge brakes are, but I'm sure someone more knowlegeable than I can answer that question.

I know the older caddies could haul some weight, and I have a friend who pulls a 30 footer with his, although I shudder when I see him do it.

When I pulled a pop up, despite its low profile, I got sway with big trucks and SUV's. Kind of frightening sometimes.:eek: I now have a hybrid with sway control and feel much more secure on the road.

The accidents I have seen with trailers usually involved a large hardside camper being pulled by a small SUV or minivan. If that big camper starts to tip, it's going to take that little tow vehicle with it. The combination of large camper and small tow vehicle along with excessive speed spells disaster.

:(

I'm not sure what surge brakes are, but I'm sure someone more knowlegeable than I can answer that question.

Surge brakes are a hydraulic brake that is activated by the forward pressure of the trailer against the hitch as the tow vehicle begins to slow. Due to this system, normal sway control can interfere in the application of the brakes if the sway control interferes with the forward pressure.

They are actually a fairly good braking system, but they do not allow the driver to control the brakes from the drivers seat as electric brakes do.

Tim5055 - not "blunt" at all! Just the sort of information I was looking for. I'll be searching out those numbers shortly! We live very near an interstate exchange, thus many scales available :)

In defense of some dealers, we were going to put the hitch on our minivan, and the dealer said, "Uh...is that all you have? You really don't want to use that" and was delighted to hear about the caddy (or yayac as we call it here under the influence of a two year old :jester: ).

Thanks so much for your help!

And yours too, ftwildernessguy, we'll watch the speed :crazy: (it might be hard closer we get to fw)

Micki

thanks tim5055 for your site. With more and more people buying campers, consumers need to make themselves informed. I have been in situations where dealers will tell you "oh sure you can pull that". As the consumer you need to think of the wieght you will be adding in, not just think because you have a truck or SUV that you can pull something safely. we enjoy everyone's input on this site. Happy and Safe camping to you all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter