San Angel Inn review

nem75

Mouseketeer
This is my first "review" so please bear with me.

My family was on their way up north to Ohio and decided to stop into WDW on the way up. Yeah, we only got about 2 hours out of the 19 we had ahead of us, but it was worth it. Anyways, my family has eaten here before 3 times and love the ambience and the food was always yummy. Well, apparently we should have stopped while we were ahead.

We managed to secure an 8:15 reservation and had 45 minutes to get us and 5 kids to Epcot from ASMo and we made it with 15 minutes to spare. We checked in and they could not find our reservation but they had seating available so we were seated immediately. Well, we are a large party of 7, and were promptly seated at a small round table for 5 with 2 extra chairs brought over. hmmm. We are so not going to fit, and after looking around in the less than a 1/4 full restaurant, I asked for a bigger table. Now if they were packed I would have not made the request, but it was empty. I guess the free diners were not taking advantage of their free meals here. Anywho, the host said yes, but we would have to wait a while. What? Wait? for who? the hoards of people they were expecting any minute? Nope, I had a reservation for a party of 7 for a table for 7 not 5 in an empty restaurant and I was going to get the table I was entitled to. Now I was not rude, but I walked up to the podium and showed them my reservation number and asked again for a bigger table. This was a mistake we would pay for later.

So we got our table that fit our party, and that huge crowd of eaters never did show up :) , so i thought all was well. We ordered our drinks, sodas all around and a yummy pina colada for me. We were brought our salsa chips that were satisfying if a bit spicy for me and our drinks arrived promptly. We ae disappointed in the children's choices, we used to get hamburgers and hotdogs, but the kids decided to be "adventurous" and got burritos and chicken fingers. My Dh and I both ordered the PLato Mexicano, which we had ordered 3 times before,and the steak was always so juicy and delicous we couldn't resist. The food arrived within a decent amount of time and the children were happy with their choices. This is where we began to pay for our audacity in asking for a proper table. It seems as though either the entree has either changed dramatically since Jan, or someone poured hot sauce on our plates before the food was plated. This appeared to be our punishment, the rice and beans were so spicy I could not eat it,( my children's were tasty though). It is a good thing my hubby has a better tolerance for heat than I do. ouch! The steak was also not a good as before, which was disappointing. I personally left hungry.

So, this may or may not have been intentional so we did not fuss, but I was not impressed with the service or food quality either way. And it appears no one else was if the empty restaurant was any indication.

Hi
Sorry you didn't have a better dinner there. We were there last October and had a really good lunch. My DH, DD and I also go just for the marguaritas and tortilla chips, since we love sitting by the river. I wonder if they really put hot sauce on your food? I hear that stuff does happen to your food if you send it back, like spitting on it, but don't know if that is true.

I hear that stuff does happen to your food if you send it back, like spitting on it, but don't know if that is true.
unfortunately YES, it is DEFINATELY true. It DEFINATELY happens, and more than you might think. I did my time in restaurants as a teen. I saw it lots of stuff happen, and even participated once (shame on me; but I was a teen: I wouldnt do it now. Dont ask me what I did, but it wasnt REALLY bad.) I also had a manager at one fast food restaurant that reminded me of Mr Crabs on Spongebob. If a burger hit the floor, it was picked back up, the stuff wiped off, and slapped back on the bun. Manager's orders!
I try to eat my meal, and if its bad, Im very leery of sending anything back. Give me a bottle of hot sauce and I can make anything good. (Of course, I love fiery hot food!) I dont think you have to worry about it as much at Disney, but if you make a scene about service or food, it can happen ANYWHERE.
To this day, I rarely EVER eat fast food UNLESS its at Disney. The bottom line is not race or sex, its wealth and class that determines. So fast food is OUT for me. I only do dine in restaurants outside of Disney. I NEVER do fast food.

It kinda makes you think, so next time you think "Its gross" think twice before you talk down to the waiter or waitress or server. You might get more than you wanted.
We have family in Tampa FL, and they were over, and somehow this subject came up and my wife's cousin said "If they complain they get spit, ashes, or worse." she was being serious, and they are from a wealthy family, and not the typical "type" you associate with such behaviour. It really makes you think.
Walmart shopping just got easier. :thumbsup2 :happytv:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter