San Diego Zoo & disabilities

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
Hi,

We will be in CA next week ahd will be visiting the zoo which my father in law who is disabled. He is not wheel chair bound but walks with a cane and gets tired with long distances.

Does anyone have any tips they can share re: the zoo. I know there is a shuttle but wondering more specific tips or details.

Thanks so much!

We were just at the zoo last week with my son who has cp- walks but unsteady so a similiar situation. Honestly, my advice to you is RENT A WHEELCHAIR. That zoo is a killer. It is all hills- steep hills. Or super steep sets of stairs. Especially if you want to get down to the pandas- the shuttle helps some but it was still a bit of a walk. If he won't do a wheelchair, I suggest taking the 35 min. bus tour thing first thing in the morning, it gives you a look at most animals plus where the shuttle stops are. Then plan from there what you want to see and how to get there. Also, we found it to be very hot- we took lots of drinks and lots of rests in the shade and even then ended up leaving around 2:00. I wouldn't bother with the children's zoo area even if you have kids- it was the most pathetic children's area I have ever seen in a zoo- not worth it at all.

I second what Mommy says. The shuttle and the wheelchair make a huge difference. I have plantar faciitis and toughed out walking the zoo. Even with the shuttle, it was too much walking.

Enjoy the zoo, we loved it. Well worth the admission (we found some online coupons for 6 bucks off the combined ticket that our hotel let us print on their printer). It was great to see the koalas and pandas.

We skipped the children's zoo, as we have an excellent family zoo here in Tampa. My clue that it was a hit? My DH, who isn't much of a shutterbug, took over 200 pictures that day.

Suzanne

We are thinking about visiting the SD Zoo for the first time. Does the shuttle bus have a lift? If so, does anyone remember how many wheelchairs the shuttle will hold at one time? My two DDs both use power chairs and would have to remain in them on the shuttle.

Also, is there any way to get to the panda exhibit without going down stairs?

Thanks!

Juliah,

It was well hidden on that site. I had to do some digging to find it!

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter