San Diego Zoo question

sitkamom

Mouseketeer
Have researched taking a bus tour to San Diego Zoo from Anaheim hotels (there's no way I'll consider driving there!)--seems like the tours average about 6 hrs. of actual zoo time and 5-5 1/2 hours total driving/riding. Has anyone taken any of these bus tours to the zoo--is 6 hours long enough to see a lot if one goes on a weekday? Planning to go week of June 13--wondering if we DD10 and I really want to do this or maybe we should just stick closer to Anaheim. I also wondered if it makes a lot of difference getting to the zoo later (I think the tours arrive in S.D. around 11-11:30)--is it already too crowded?

Hi from a fellow Alaskan! We're in Palmer in the Matanuska Valley. We're heading down to So. California (San Diego/Anaheim/Coastal area) on Thursday, and we are so excited! We're going to the zoo too, but we'll be spending 4 nights down there too, so we will just get there as soon as it opens and leave whenever we want, since I'm thinking we'll rent a car that day.

We are flying into SNA (John Wayne airport in Anaheim) then we are taking Amtrak down from Anaheim (have you considered this option?) we are going to be arriving into the Santa Fe station downtown, but I think they have a station at Old Town, which you could possibly then get a trolley from to the zoo, or maybe take a cab from Old Town. You might check into it, I know they have trains all day long, and it takes only 2 hours from Anaheim! We've done it before and loved it, it goes along the coast, it's a pretty ride. www.amtrak.com

Have a great trip! Kelly

Hi from a fellow Alaskan! We're in Palmer in the Matanuska Valley. We're heading down to So. California (San Diego/Anaheim/Coastal area) on Thursday, and we are so excited! We're going to the zoo too, but we'll be spending 4 nights down there too, so we will just get there as soon as it opens and leave whenever we want, since I'm thinking we'll rent a car that day.

We are flying into SNA (John Wayne airport in Anaheim) then we are taking Amtrak down from Anaheim (have you considered this option?) we are going to be arriving into the Santa Fe station downtown, but I think they have a station at Old Town, which you could possibly then get a trolley from to the zoo, or maybe take a cab from Old Town. You might check into it, I know they have trains all day long, and it takes only 2 hours from Anaheim! We've done it before and loved it, it goes along the coast, it's a pretty ride. www.amtrak.com

Have a great trip! Kelly

Thanks Kelly--it does sound like fun to take the train. I'm wondering how far the Amtrak station is from DLR--would probably have to take a cab.

Hi there! I work at the SD zoo, so I like to consider myself an unofficial authority on all things zoo lol. 6 hours is not enough to see everything, but you'll be able to see a huge chunk. Since your DD is 10 and not a youngster in a stroller, that's greatly to your advantage, as the zoo has lots of hills and you'll be able to move much easier without worrying about things like that.

Since you'll only be there for 6 hours, I definitely recommend taking advantage of the bus tour. It is a 35-40 minute narrated tour that drives past about 60% of the exhibits. It is also included in the price of your ticket. That way, you can cover a lot of ground and get a good idea of places you'd like to visit in more detail later. If you're going during a weekday it won't be as crowded as the weekend. 11:00-11:30 isn't too late to arrive, but the line for the bus tour will be longer at that time than it would be if you got there right at opening.

I'm assuming you're staying in a hotel in the Anaheim area then? If so, it shouldn't be more than about 10-15 minutes to the station! Go for it! Call Amtrak if you want to know the distance, they should be able to tell you. Have a great trip!

Hi there! I work at the SD zoo, so I like to consider myself an unofficial authority on all things zoo lol. 6 hours is not enough to see everything, but you'll be able to see a huge chunk. Since your DD is 10 and not a youngster in a stroller, that's greatly to your advantage, as the zoo has lots of hills and you'll be able to move much easier without worrying about things like that.

Since you'll only be there for 6 hours, I definitely recommend taking advantage of the bus tour. It is a 35-40 minute narrated tour that drives past about 60% of the exhibits. It is also included in the price of your ticket. That way, you can cover a lot of ground and get a good idea of places you'd like to visit in more detail later. If you're going during a weekday it won't be as crowded as the weekend. 11:00-11:30 isn't too late to arrive, but the line for the bus tour will be longer at that time than it would be if you got there right at opening.

sonnyjane, didn't know you worked at the zoo, cool! :thumbsup2 We are definately going, the kids have never been, and we haven't been for a while (dh and I) We will definately take advantage of the bus tour, that sounds great, especially since we will be walking so much on the rest of our trip! The unfortunate thing is that we will either have to go Sat. or Sun, so of those days, which do you think is best? Sunday will be our last day there, we leave back to Anaheim on Monday. I wish we had one more day to spend there, honestly! I feel like it's a little rushed, but oh well.

Our last two nights we are spending at the Manchester Hyatt, but the first two nights will either be the Dana or the Hyatt Regency, which one would you prefer? ;) We have two teenagers...weren't planning on getting a car...we were going to stay on Coronado but decided against it for this time.

We're very excited, we leave home this Wed night! Kelly :woohoo:

sonnyjane, didn't know you worked at the zoo, cool! :thumbsup2 We are definately going, the kids have never been, and we haven't been for a while (dh and I) We will definately take advantage of the bus tour, that sounds great, especially since we will be walking so much on the rest of our trip! The unfortunate thing is that we will either have to go Sat. or Sun, so of those days, which do you think is best? Sunday will be our last day there, we leave back to Anaheim on Monday. I wish we had one more day to spend there, honestly! I feel like it's a little rushed, but oh well.

Our last two nights we are spending at the Manchester Hyatt, but the first two nights will either be the Dana or the Hyatt Regency, which one would you prefer? ;) We have two teenagers...weren't planning on getting a car...we were going to stay on Coronado but decided against it for this time.

We're very excited, we leave home this Wed night! Kelly :woohoo:

First of all I'm really no good at giving hotel advice since I live here so I have never had to stay in a hotel lol. I think choosing not to stay on Coronado is wise because it's a little too far away from the other attractions in the area (you have to cross the bridge and deal with that traffic).

As far as going on a Saturday or Sunday, there really isn't much of a difference. The good thing about a weekend at the zoo vs. a weekend at Disneyland is that there aren't really rides at the zoo. The only thing you'll have to wait in line for is the bus tour, so if you can get there a little earlier in the day (we open at 9) then the line will be shorter. Other than the bus, extra people really isn't a big deal because you can walk around at your own pace seeing animals. Even on a very crowded zoo day, it's not really "Disneyland busy", just a noticeable increase in number of people walking around, but not crowded or people running into each other, etc.

Ok that's fine, I'll just have to decide soon. I may just toss a coin! ha ha!! Thanks for the info on the zoo, appreciate it. Looking forward to it, anything in particular that is a can't be miss area/animals there? Any special things going on when we are there (28 or 29th) I hope that the trolley will get us there right before the opening time, I'd love to be there when it opens. We may end up taking a cab from downtown, whichever one works better timewise! Which area do you work in, btw?

Ok that's fine, I'll just have to decide soon. I may just toss a coin! ha ha!! Thanks for the info on the zoo, appreciate it. Looking forward to it, anything in particular that is a can't be miss area/animals there? Any special things going on when we are there (28 or 29th) I hope that the trolley will get us there right before the opening time, I'd love to be there when it opens. We may end up taking a cab from downtown, whichever one works better timewise! Which area do you work in, btw?

There are lots of cute new babies that you can see :) There is a baby giraffe, baby hippo, baby takin (near polar bears). I lied, I suppose, when I told you the only line is for the bus. The OTHER line in the park is for the pandas, so go to see them early! There is a baby (about two years old, but he's still small), and the area has to be kept quiet, so there is a line to get into the exhibit as they monitor how many people can see them at a time. The line can be 30 minutes or longer if you go on a busy, busy weekend, so try to do them first. The pandas are at the bottom of the zoo, so a lot of people reach them in the afternoon, so maybe you can run down there, see them, then head back up to see other things and you'll beat the crowds. Be sure to check out Elephant Odyssey, a multi-million dollar exhibit that opened in May 2009, and Polar Bear Plunge, which was upgraded last spring.

I work in the animal training department. I used to do the big bird show that they had from May 2009 to Sept 2010, then I worked at Backstage Pass (a special animal interaction program), and now I am back to training birds and other small/medium mammals for an interactive show on the front plaza. Unfortunately the show will still be in the production phases while you're visiting or else I'd tell you to check it out!

thanks sonnyjane! I can't wait, haven't been to the zoo for years...if we go see the pandas first, can we take the bus to see them or would we have to walk down the bottom of the hill to get to them? Also, can we hop on the bus tour from the panda area afterwards or do we have to walk back up the hill? Thanks for your help!

Sonnyjane,
I have a question: If we get there when the zoo opens at 9am what should be do 1st- bus tour or pandas? it is myself and dd (17) so walking is not an issue. But also dont want to do alot of zig zagging....
Another question- can we leave early afternoon for lunch- explore balboa park then return later in the afternoon.
Thanks Jill

Sonnyjane,
I have a question: If we get there when the zoo opens at 9am what should be do 1st- bus tour or pandas? it is myself and dd (17) so walking is not an issue. But also dont want to do alot of zig zagging....

This really depends on the day of the week you're going. If it is on a weekday before the real height of summer, then you can just take the bus tour first and then the panda wait shouldn't be too long. If, however, you are going on a weekend, the lines for both can be big. On Memorial Day weekend the line for pandas was about 40 minutes at 1:00 in the afternoon! That's like a Disney ride! I'd probably just get the bus tour out of the way first since the loading and unloading docks are in the top of the zoo near the entrance and the pandas are at the bottom of the zoo.

Another question- can we leave early afternoon for lunch- explore balboa park then return later in the afternoon.
Thanks Jill

Yes. Just hang on to your ticket and get your hand stamped when you leave and you can come back later :)

:)

How long does it take to drive from Disney Paradise Pier to San Diego Zoo?

How long does it take to drive from Disney Paradise Pier to San Diego Zoo?

Just under two hours (90 miles). That's as long as there aren't any major traffic hangups. I do it in 90 min. but I drive a little over the speed limit at 75 mph or so :-x

How's traffic in San Diego? If our main focus is the zoo-does it matter if we stay downtown, at Mission Bay Park, or La Jolla? When I mapquest it, They all seem 10-20 minutes away. But, if we go at 8:30 am is this going to be much longer?

I imagine we'll go to the zoo in the morning, go back to the hotel and maybe go back in the afternoon after naptime. (travelling with a 2 year old)

How's traffic in San Diego? If our main focus is the zoo-does it matter if we stay downtown, at Mission Bay Park, or La Jolla? When I mapquest it, They all seem 10-20 minutes away. But, if we go at 8:30 am is this going to be much longer?

I imagine we'll go to the zoo in the morning, go back to the hotel and maybe go back in the afternoon after naptime. (travelling with a 2 year old)

I'm not the greatest expert on San Diego rush hour traffic because I go to work and leave work earlier than the average commuter, so I don't encounter much traffic. Depending on what routes you take, a 10 minute trip might be 30, but again, I'm not the best judge. San Diego traffic, in my opinion, is not as frustrating as LA traffic. If it's congested, at least it moves slowly. When I've been in traffic in LA, it's the kind of parking-lot traffic that makes you want to just put the car in park and walk to your destination lol.

Also, it depends on where you stay in La Jolla. That's going to be your farthest point from all your options. Still not far, but farther than downtown or Mission.

There are lots of cute new babies that you can see :) There is a baby giraffe, baby hippo, baby takin (near polar bears). I lied, I suppose, when I told you the only line is for the bus. The OTHER line in the park is for the pandas, so go to see them early! There is a baby (about two years old, but he's still small), and the area has to be kept quiet, so there is a line to get into the exhibit as they monitor how many people can see them at a time. The line can be 30 minutes or longer if you go on a busy, busy weekend, so try to do them first. The pandas are at the bottom of the zoo, so a lot of people reach them in the afternoon, so maybe you can run down there, see them, then head back up to see other things and you'll beat the crowds. Be sure to check out Elephant Odyssey, a multi-million dollar exhibit that opened in May 2009, and Polar Bear Plunge, which was upgraded last spring.

I work in the animal training department. I used to do the big bird show that they had from May 2009 to Sept 2010, then I worked at Backstage Pass (a special animal interaction program), and now I am back to training birds and other small/medium mammals for an interactive show on the front plaza. Unfortunately the show will still be in the production phases while you're visiting or else I'd tell you to check it out!

We expect to be at the S D Zoo on Sept. 6. Will the show you are working on be active by then?

We expect to be at the S D Zoo on Sept. 6. Will the show you are working on be active by then?

I don't know! We are doing it right now (started the end of June) but arent sure if we will continue after Labor Day (Sept. 5) or if we will start working on other projects. Right now we are performing/presenting from a temporary stage but the plan is to build something more permanent. If they do, they would start construction after the busy summer season. Since construction almost always gets delayed, however, you might catch me up there on the 6th with our giant Harpy eagle or a toucan or something else! :)

I don't know! We are doing it right now (started the end of June) but arent sure if we will continue after Labor Day (Sept. 5) or if we will start working on other projects. Right now we are performing/presenting from a temporary stage but the plan is to build something more permanent. If they do, they would start construction after the busy summer season. Since construction almost always gets delayed, however, you might catch me up there on the 6th with our giant Harpy eagle or a toucan or something else! :)

Is your name Jane? I expect you aren't really a mermaid and I'm just wondering who I'll be looking for. I hope we get a chance to say "hi."

Is your name Jane? I expect you aren't really a mermaid and I'm just wondering who I'll be looking for. I hope we get a chance to say "hi."

Hahah no my name is Erin. I suppose my screen-name is misleading. If we are doing our presentations, they will be on the Front Plaza right near the entrance. Currently we are up there at 10:30, 12:30, and 2:00 :)

This is me for anyone that wanders to the zoo:
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0247.png

180952_820570852377_10605188_44217893_6462025_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter