• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Francisco with Small Kids

justkeepswimmin

DIS Veteran
My husband is going to SF for work for a week and since I love the city, I got the crazy idea to tag along. Problem is, I have an 8 yr , 3 yr and 10 month old. I have done the city with my oldest when she was just 4 and we had a blast riding the cable cars and trains and buses all over the city. 3 kids by myself though, seems like a whole different world and might end up more "work" than "fun".

Anyone have any experience getting around the city with little ones? DH will be working 8-10 hr days so I will really be on my own. Any tips/ tricks would be appreciated, including advice along the lines of "Are you crazy!"

DH will probably stay at the Marriott Courtyard near Fisherman Wharf (I think or at least so it claims on their website :) ) and will have a rental car but I am not crazy about the idea of driving on SF streets.

If you have a car and avoid the downtown area of SFO getting around is not hard. SFO has Golden Gate Park and the Zoo. Go an hour or so south to San Jose where they have a wonderful childrens museum. With a baby and a toddler I don't know if I would attempt a cable car, but there is always the taxi, muni or BART option.

My mom lived in San Fran for years before retiring to another state. I visited every summer for one month, with small kids in tow and loved it. Down on the wharf there are many things to do with the kiddos. Look up the tourism webpage and get lots of info there for your trip. The buses are great and plenty. You would be surprised how many play grounds are in the city. There is also a small beach area near the wharf, no you dont want your kids going in the water, but it would be fun for them to play in the sand and watch the boats go by. If you would like more specific answers to any questions you can PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions.

We took our 3yr old last Sept. and stayed at the Sheraton in Fisherman's wharf, toured alcatraz, the 2 tiered carousel on the pier was cool and the seals provided tons of entertainment. We ate at Bubba Gump's , Johnny Rockets and The Hard Rock, great loud kid friendly places:) DS loved it and asks to go back all the time. Stay away from the hippy district as it's over run with crackheads, who will actually approach you even while pushing a stroller:eek:

Yes! For sure you can have a great time in San Francisco without a car with your three kids while your husband is working. There's plenty to do in the Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, Pier 39, Embarcadero, North Beach area which just involves walking or maybe a trolley or cable car. I go with my two little ones and do great. I think it's a very kid friendly city.

Here are some sites with fun things to do in SF with little ones:

http://gocitykids.parentsconnect.com/?area=199

http://www.sanfranciscokids.net/san_francisco_attractions/san_francisco_attractions_landing.htm

Have fun!

Thanks so much for these responses!

dh and I are going to decide tonight but I feel like it is at least possible now. I also have to consider whether or not we want to pull oldest out of school for a week but I really do love the city so it is hard to pass up this opportunity.

There are tons of great things to do here in San Francisco! We have great playgrounds, the Exploratorium, Bay Area Discovery Museum, Zoo... what month are you coming in? If it's Sept/Oct time it should be fairly warm, maybe you can hang out at the beach at Crissy Field. Cable car museum, Pier 39, tons of stuff to do!

I personally would drive the car (well, I own a minivan in the city, so you can see where I'm coming from)... but it is really not bad to drive here. If you're new just go semi-slowly and watch carefully. And many of our traffic lights are on the sides instead of overhead, that was weird for me when I moved here. It will be a lot easier to get around in the car, but it possible by public transport also.

Anyway, I would totally come and enjoy the city! PM me if you have any more questions or if you plan the trip and need some guidance, I'll look around and see if there's anything special going on while you're here. :)

There's the SF Zoo you can take them to, have some icecream in Ghiradelli Square, go to Pier 39 and hang around there, maybe even drive to the Golden Gate Bridge.
It would be kind of hard to keep them in the cable car, if you are then make sure you get a seat that is indoors, instead of the seats that you just step on and sit. Also hold on to them tightly because sometimes you slide down your seat and bump the next person.

Thank you for all your replies. Unfortunatey, we decided not to tag along this time. Due to the last minute nature of the trip airfare would have been over $1000 for all of us. :scared1:

DH and I are thinking of travelling there as a vacation later this year though so all of these suggestions are going to be very helpful. I just love SF (it is where dh and I honeymooned) and would love to explore it with our whole family.

We live in Daly City which is right next to SF. I have a 6 and a 4 year old. If you have any questions when your trip comes up or some advice on what to do when you get here then please let me know.

Don't forget the Hyde Street Pier. Part of the National Park Service and great place for kids of all ages to explore the ships displayed here. Docents and park rangers can make this a lot of fun. If you're a fan of the Columbia at Disneyland, don't miss the Balclutha -- the real thing here!

If your children are still coming on the vacation your husband and you are planning, one thing that looks cute is across the bay in Oakland. It is the Children's Fairyland. It looks charming enough from the outside that my husband and I wanted to go, even though we don't have children. Thankfully my husband checked their web site before we made the trip because it says right there that adults are not allowed in without children. It is in a nice neighborhood next to a lake and in a city park setting.

For adults I really like the Legion of Honor. Whether or not you have an interest in art, the views are lovely out there on the property.

Getting from SF to Oakland to Fairyland is somewhat easy. I work just down the street from it on Grand Avenue.

You can take MUNI by cable car or streetcar from the Wharf to BART and then to take either a Richmond or Pittsburg-Baypoint train to Oakland's 19th Street Station. From there it's a moderate walk to Lake Merritt and Fairyland.

If any of your kids have even a passing interest in trains and railroads, I would suggest making a day of a trip from San Francisco to Sacramento to visit the California State Railroad Museum. You can take a Capitol Corridor train to and from Sacramento. Amtrak operates the trains, and they do have bus connections from San Francisco to and from the trains (at the Emeryville stations). A ride takes a little under two hours each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter