• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Santa Fe vs Sequoia Lodge

emmaness

DIS Veteran
Right, So, basically, the two packages we (my sister and I) are currently looking at are:

<b>3 nights and 4 days in Hotel Santa Fe - £303 per person</b>

OR

<b>3 nights and 4 days in Sequoia Lodge - £362 per person</b> (not yet confirmed - just missed the Sunday opening hours!)

Both are from Leisure Direction and include a four-day park hopper and travel by Eurostar, leaving on October 24th and returning on October 27th.

Originally we were just looking at Santa Fe because of it being the cheapest, but we're now coming to realise that it might be like the Cheyenne in that it's a little village in itself, meaning it takes rather a long time to get out of the hotel complex before you even start the walk to the park.

So, I have a few questions, not all related to what I was just talking about:

1) How long does it take, from hotel room to park gates, to walk to the parks for each hotel? I have a feeling the estimates on the official website are a little inaccurate.

2) Does Hotel Santa Fe consist of a "village-style" group of buildings like the Cheyenne, as I suspected?

3) As far as I can see, Sequoia Lodge is more like a conventional hotel with just the one building. That's not a question, I know :earboy2: but can anyone confirm this?

4) Will the lack of air conditioning in Santa Fe be a major problem in October?

I suppose the main issue is: is the Sequoia Lodge worth the extra £59 per person? I'm thinking mainly of our poor little feet after a long day in the parks. Are we going to want to be trapsing all the way back to Santa Fe? Or would we be grateful for having spent the extra money?

And if anyone can give their opinions on or recommendations of either hotel, it would be gratefully received!

:sunny:

Hi Emma! :wave: I can help with some of those questions. I don't think the actual walktime is going to be much different between the parks and Santa Fe or Sequoia Lodge. In any case you can always take the free shuttle buses which run very frequently. There are 49 "pueblos" at the Santa Fe but it just depends on which one your room is in - just like at the Cheyenne - you could be near the main building or quite a walk away. We were there in October last year and the weather was lovely but we certainly didn't feel the need of air conditioning. There is one large building at the SL but also several smaller ones so you will not necessarily be in the main one - in fact I imagine the rooms in the main building are the more expensive ones. Have you looked at the FAQ hotel "sticky" thread at the top of the opening page on the board - there's info on both SF & SL there.
We are staying at the SL this November and the prices you quote sound like a real bargain - definitely worth £59 per person in my opinion. :sunny:

Hello Emma,
We stayed at the SL at the beginning of the month and were in the main building overlooking the lake because we had Montana rooms. The hotel itself consists of the main building with large lodges in the grounds around it which have the standard rooms.
It took about 10 minutes maximum to walk from SL main building to the park gates.
When I went for a walk on the last morning I was surprised to find that the buildings of the Santa Fe are just behind the last lodge of the Sl hotel and should take only about 5 minutes longer to walk to the parks.
Our friends stayed int he Santa Fe and walked every time. They have a four year old son.

emmaness said:
1) How long does it take, from hotel room to park gates, to walk to the parks for each hotel? I have a feeling the estimates on the official website are a little inaccurate.
It is further to walk from Santa Fe for sure. I think maybe 5 mins or so but it has been years since i have done it. The Santa Fe is right next to the Cheyenne where as the Sequoia is on the lake.
emmaness said:
2) Does Hotel Santa Fe consist of a "village-style" group of buildings like the Cheyenne, as I suspected?
Yes the Sante Fe is village syle.
emmaness said:
3) As far as I can see, Sequoia Lodge is more like a conventional hotel with just the one building. That's not a question, I know :earboy2: but can anyone confirm this?
The Sequoia hotel has one main bldg and many smaller outlying bldgs. It doesnt have the village feel like the Sante Fe. The smaller bldgs are in the trees that surrond the main bldg. The rooms in the main bldg are called "Montana rooms" so try and get one of those if you can. The main bldg has been renovated but some of the smaller bldgs have not.
emmaness said:
4) Will the lack of air conditioning in Santa Fe be a major problem in October?
It should not be a problem at all.

Thanks very much for your answers, guys, very helpful indeed. :)

About the shuttles: what sort of times do they run? I seem to remember when we stayed at the Cheyenne that they didn't leave early enough to make Rope Drop, but it might have improved since then as it was almost ten years ago!

We loved the walk from SL to the parks - round the lake, through Disney Village and into the parks :)

I can't help with the question about the shuttles as we always walked!! Sorry.

Personally I would spend the extra and go with the SL but not if it will leave you short of spending money :)

The shuttle buses run every few minutes with extra ones at busy times. We generally don't get to the parks early but I do remember several mornings getting to the castle before rope drop. The buses are packed at that time but do run .

For the small amount of extra your younger sister might enjoy the proximity to the park staying in SL.

The walk from Santa Fe is not that much more but definitely SL appears closer.

Reid

I've stayed at both of them and personally, after staying at Sequoia Lodge, I wouldn't stay at Santa Fé again. I really loved the pool lodge at Sequoia Lodge and I prefer the whole "feel" of the hotel.

If you're not planning on swimming, though, and you're not going to be spending much time at the hotel, I don't think it really matters very much. The walk isn't much further (like Berwyn, we noticed that some of the Santa Fé buildings were right behind a couple of the Sequoia Lodge outdoor lodges) and I've never found the lack of air conditioning a problem. There are ceiling fans in the rooms anyway. :)

Having stayed at both hotels I have to say my preference would always be for Sequoia. I just liked the 'woodsy' theming a lot better. As to the walk I don't think there's a huge amount of difference although I did enjoy being able to walk out of the back of the hotel straight into Lake Disney [not literally, of course :rotfl: ]

It really depends what you want from a hotel that in the natural course of things you probably won't be spending a huge amount of time in. I liked the little pathways and ponds of Sequoia myself but if you are just looking for a budget place to put your stuff while you are out enjoying yourself then the Santa Fe would probably suit better. There isn't a huge amount to tell between them. I just like to spoil myself when I go!

Hmm, in that case the shuttle buses have definitely improved since I stayed in the Cheyenne!

It's more for convenience that we are thinking of upgrading to SL. My sister is quite a mature 15-year-old so there wouldn't be any problems there. :)

Although, it would be nice to go for a bit of a swim whilst we're there. I'd certainly like to have the option available to me.

Hmm, decisions, decisions! Hehe. :confused3

NIK said:
As to the walk I don't think there's a huge amount of difference although I did enjoy being able to walk out of the back of the hotel straight into Lake Disney [not literally, of course :rotfl: ]
LOL!

I definitely prefer the theming of Sequoia Lodge to Santa Fe. It has a more homey feel to it, you know? But I still can't decide which will suit us better. Ah, I don't know! I'll have to have a chat about it with my parents but I think I'm driving them mad with all the DLP talk! :rotfl:

LOL, Em! Look at your list of Disney holidays in your signature! *gasp*

Although it does look like you're in need of another one. *nods* :flower:

LOL, I know! I had to double check and triple check, but we really have been that many times. I made the font as small as it would go but still..! :blush:

Bear in mind that the only non-Disneyland holiday I have ever been on in my entire life was the school ski trip to Austria, two and a half years ago!

Ooh, I've just thought of another question. If, for example, you're staying in Hotel Santa Fe, are you allowed to pop over the the Sequoia Lodge swimming pool? I assume not but it's worth an ask. :)

Nope, sadly not! I think the pool is probably one of the things that puts the price up so much, to be honest. You need your Sequoia Lodge hotel ID card to use the pool and health club. You can, however, have meals at any of the restaurants in the other hotels or use the bars, shops, etc. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter