• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SAP+ ?

So…. Is OKW now a direct SAP?

I’m not sure it qualifies as SAP+, but someone people who have stayed there seem to love the larger room sizes and low point chart.
I’m so tempted by this honestly. SSR never interested me (the rooms are beautiful but idc for the grounds/theming that much and we do Disney Springs maybe once every few trips so it’s really not that much of a draw) Out of the 2 sprawling resorts, we really love the feel of OKW, even with the slightly outdated rooms. The size certainly makes up for the look (and those GV are SO cheap!) lol it just the dues that are holding me back. Well that and I believe buy where you want to stay is going to become more and more important so it’s just smarter to hold out for Poly for us. But I wouldn’t fault anyone going for this it’s a great deal for a great resort.

I’m not sure it qualifies as SAP+, but someone people who have stayed there seem to love the larger room sizes and low point chart.
Honestly I think the dues exclude it from being SAP. The charts are amazing but it’s definitely not something you need to own in order to stay there so I don’t really factor the charts. IMO if you buy OKW, you’re buying it to stay near HH. So with that I’d still consider it SAP+ personally.

Last edited:
I’m so tempted by this honestly. SSR never interested me (the rooms are beautiful but idc for the grounds/theming that much and we do Disney Springs maybe once every few trips so it’s really not that much of a draw) Out of the 2 sprawling resorts, we really love the feel of OKW, even with the slightly outdated rooms. The size certainly makes up for the look (and those GV are SO cheap!) lol it just the dues that are holding me back. Well that and I believe buy where you want to stay is going to become more and more important so it’s just smarter to hold out for Poly for us. But I wouldn’t fault anyone going for this it’s a great deal for a great resort.
Agree with all of this. Flirted w/ the idea for a hot second but ultimately I need the length of my direct contract to outlast my resale to maximize the benefits. So a 2057 expiration is a deal breaker for me...

I wouldn’t say so, even if you bought 500 points at $125pp you are hitting about $13.5pp including dues.
RIV at $178pp at 500 points would be $12.7pp

That gap could keep get bigger as OKW dues are running away last few years which is why I sold mine last year.

We purchased SSR solely on a cost analysis. We also broke our use down to increments of 10 years. We figured our use would not be the same for the entire length of the contract. And by we I mean me.

It might not end up being exactly 10 years each but where we stay when my granddaughter is 4 to 16 means more than where we stay as she is older. Also, how we visit (park intensive) will be different in the future.
I had posted previously that the expectation is that future stays will be resort/Disney Springs intensive, and it is our initial 10+ years that being near a park is important.
We also have not fallen in love with any resort and expect to try to stay at any of the 5 MK resorts 1-3 times, the Epcot resorts 1 or 2 and the AK resorts 1 or 2. I am hoping we like split stays. If so, that would mean we need to be able to stay near a park from 20- 24 times over the next decade.
Our first 2 years we were able to book 3 near park reservations.

I think our willingness to be extremely flexible in where we will stay among the 9 park resorts, we are eligible for makes buying SSR the right contract for us.

We are once a year visitors with most likely 9-day stays with at most 6 days in the parks for now.

I wouldn’t say so, even if you bought 500 points at $125pp you are hitting about $13.5pp including dues.
RIV at $178pp at 500 points would be $12.7pp

That gap could keep get bigger as OKW dues are running away last few years which is why I sold mine last year.
Right… but 500 points is a big number and that is a significant difference in upfront capital outlay…. like $26,500…. of which you can park in a mmkt or UST and earn $1325 in interest or $2.65pp…. which completely evaporates the RIV savings.

Right… but 500 points is a big number and that is a significant difference in upfront capital outlay…. like $26,500…. of which you can park in a mmkt or UST and earn $1325 in interest or $2.65pp…. which completely evaporates the RIV savings.
Contracts of that point size scare me. I just cannot get past my fear that if needed to sell it would be difficult.

Contracts of that point size scare me. I just cannot get past my fear that if needed to sell it would be difficult.
I believe that when buying direct from Disney, you could have them split it into multiple contracts.

ETA: Looks like they limit it to four contracts per purchase, so you could get 4 125-point contracts out of a 500-point purchase. https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...racts-at-the-same-time.3891911/#post-64202680

I don't know if there are additional costs for splitting it up that way. But if it's important to you, you shouldn't be stuck with one 500-point albatross!

I still think OKW is risky with the 2042/2057 owners issue still to be resolved and the way dues have spiked.
By the way, if you have spare money don’t you just buy another contract somewhere else?

I believe that when buying direct from Disney, you could have them split it into multiple contracts.

ETA: Looks like they limit it to four contracts per purchase, so you could get 4 125-point contracts out of a 500-point purchase. https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...racts-at-the-same-time.3891911/#post-64202680

I don't know if there are additional costs for splitting it up that way. But if it's important to you, you shouldn't be stuck with one 500-point albatross!
There’s definitely closing costs on each of those contracts. I did not know about the 4 contract maximum though. That’s interesting.

👆🏻

We purchased SSR solely on a cost analysis. We also broke our use down to increments of 10 years. We figured our use would not be the same for the entire length of the contract. And by we I mean me.

It might not end up being exactly 10 years each but where we stay when my granddaughter is 4 to 16 means more than where we stay as she is older. Also, how we visit (park intensive) will be different in the future.
I had posted previously that the expectation is that future stays will be resort/Disney Springs intensive, and it is our initial 10+ years that being near a park is important.
We also have not fallen in love with any resort and expect to try to stay at any of the 5 MK resorts 1-3 times, the Epcot resorts 1 or 2 and the AK resorts 1 or 2. I am hoping we like split stays. If so, that would mean we need to be able to stay near a park from 20- 24 times over the next decade.
Our first 2 years we were able to book 3 near park reservations.

I think our willingness to be extremely flexible in where we will stay among the 9 park resorts, we are eligible for makes buying SSR the right contract for us.

We are once a year visitors with most likely 9-day stays with at most 6 days in the parks for now.
SSR is amazing value and definitely the right purchase for so many people! And despite my lack of interest in the theming it is a great resort. I think the way you use your points, Tom, is the ideal way to take advantage of SSR. I hope you guys love split stays too, it’s fun to stay at all the resorts, especially if you don’t have a particular affinity to one resort or area!

We were set to add on at RIV (currently have direct points there but need about 250 more) and want direct points to stay there, but are buying additional points to use primarily as SAP for trips we plan less than 7 months out.

Seriously considering OKW now given the promotion. Even though the dues are higher, the upfront cost for 250 points is significantly less than RIV.

UGH, the back and forth in my mind continues…

We were set to add on at RIV (currently have direct points there but need about 250 more) and want direct points to stay there, but are buying additional points to use primarily as SAP for trips we plan less than 7 months out.

Seriously considering OKW now given the promotion. Even though the dues are higher, the upfront cost for 250 points is significantly less than RIV.

UGH, the back and forth in my mind continues…
Do you feel strongly about needing Direct for those SAPs? i know why RIV makes sense, but OKW? Checking the resale sites...

Last edited:
Do you feel strongly about needing Direct for those SAPs? i know why RIV makes, but OKW? Checking the resale sites...
It's still pretty tough to find reasonably sized Riviera contracts on the resale market. Finding contracts at or below 100 points can be a challenge. Right now, one aggregator site shows nearly 100 Riviera contracts, but only a half-dozen are less than 100 points. Another shows about half as many listings and only 3 or 4 under 100 points. You're almost forced to go direct if you want to add on at Riviera for any small contracts.

Old Key West has about a gazillion small resale contracts available across every contract size, with the caveat being that the minority of them are extended.

We do need direct points, because although RIV is our favorite, we can’t always book more than 7 months in advance. So it is nice having the extra flexibility of the whole profile of resorts for added availability. With resale, unfortunately we couldn’t stay at RIV with the original resort contracts, and with RIV resale we would lose the flexibility of having multiple resorts to stay at.

Just thinking if we are mainly going to use them at or inside 7 months, might make the most sense to go with OKW over RIV for initial buy in savings.

It’s very tempting isn’t it… but those dues are putting me off… will above $10 next year
Honestly I think the dues exclude it from being SAP. The charts are amazing but it’s definitely not something you need to own in order to stay there so I don’t really factor the charts. IMO if you buy OKW, you’re buying it to stay near HH. So with that I’d still consider it SAP+ personally.
Do you feel strongly about needing Direct for those SAPs? i know why RIV makes sense, but OKW? Checking the resale sites...
I don't think it counts as SAP or SAP+. The dues take it out of SAP, & the location takes it out of SAP+.
But it could be a good way to get benefits if you really like the resort. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter