Sci Fi Dine In Seating Question

The Foolish Mortal

DIS Veteran
I can't recall, but are the cars comprised of three rows of seats? Yesterday I made a reservation for six guests during an upcoming trip. Then my partner reminded me that its actually seven. But one of the guests is a little three year old. So if the seating is three rows, I am not too concerned about showing up with an extra toddler and squeezing him into one of the rows with us all.

Hi. We were just there in June. We had two adults in front, two in back. All seats facing front large screen. I'd imagine there are other configurations, I just didn't see them.
We enjoyed the whole experience so much, we wondered why we hadn't been there before!!
Have a great time!

I was just there last week. Some cars have 2 rows and some have 3, and there were also a few that were a longer table with chairs instead of the booth style seating.

You do need to make the reservation for 7. Each person needs to be counted. And you really can’t fit more than 2 people in a seat, even if one is small. I’m a petite adult and was sitting with my 7 year old son. It wasn’t cramped, but we definitely couldn’t have had another person in the row with us comfortably.

You must count everyone in your dining reservation - even infants. I don’t think they’ll allow you to “just squeeze him in”; at least that was my experience when I forgot to include my 10-month old nephew who could have easily sat on a lap.

I think with a reservation for 7, you're more likely to be assigned to a table with the chairs instead of a car.

You must count everyone in your dining reservation - even infants. I don’t think they’ll allow you to “just squeeze him in”; at least that was my experience when I forgot to include my 10-month old nephew who could have easily sat on a lap.

As you discovered, anyone with a heartbeat must be counted. It’s the fire code and has nothing to do with whether you are comfortable.

As a party of 7, you will be looking at a larger table configuration since the cars with 2 and 3 rows only seat up to 6. There are a couple of cars that have actual tables which seat more and the picnic tables in the rear.

At SciFi, most cars have 3 rows that seat 2. Even if you try to squeeze in 3 small children into a row, it’s a tight fit.

There are a small handful of cars that seat 4 in 2 rows. Many who book a party of 4 end up sharing a car with a party of 2, the party of 4 in 2 rows and the party of 2 in 1 row.

There are (I believe) 4 tables in the center columns that seat up to 8.

Even with a small child, you’re going to have a difficult time seating 7 in a car. You’ll need one of the tables.

The problem is that if someone else has booked those tables with large parties, you could end up waiting a very long time for a table as you only booked 6.

If at all possible, change your reservation to a party of 7 or 8.

When my son was an infant, we never included him in any dining reservation and never had a problem getting him seated. And even after he turned 2 and we started including him in the dining reservations, all three of us were seated in the front of a car at Sci Fi. So its certainly possible to put three people in one row (as long as nobody is particularly large). I just couldn't remember if all the cars had two rows or three. No availability for a party of seven right now (though I will continue to check until our trip). Sounds like with a reservation for six we will be getting either a table (never noticed those other than the smaller picnic tables in the back) or a three row car. If that happens, I will roll the dice and see if they will let us squeeze the additional two year old in. At worst, I will go get some quick serve elsewhere and let the rest of the group enjoy Sci Fi. Thanks for the info on the car sizes!

1691423796378.png

At SciFi, most cars have 3 rows that seat 2. Even if you try to squeeze in 3 small children into a row, it’s a tight fit.

There are a small handful of cars that seat 4 in 2 rows. Many who book a party of 4 end up sharing a car with a party of 2, the party of 4 in 2 rows and the party of 2 in 1 row.

There are (I believe) 4 tables in the center columns that seat up to 8.
SEE PHOTO ABOVE ⬆️

Even with a small child, you’re going to have a difficult time seating 7 in a car. You’ll need one of the tables.

The problem is that if someone else has booked those tables with large parties, you could end up waiting a very long time for a table as you only booked 6.

If at all possible, change your reservation to a party of 7 or 8.
All of this. First off fire codes require all bodies counted so with a very popular restaurant you trying to add one at check in could delay your seating until the numbers work. Also agree they might want to put you at a long table car OR two small cars, splitting you up. It is a much better option to have the proper ADR (7 or 8) before arrival so you are part of the seating plan.

No availability for a party of seven right now
If no availability for a party of 7, check for a party of 8. It's well known that the ADR booking system hates odd numbers, and it seems to want to fill a table, so if there's a table with 8 seats and someone wants to book a party of 7, it will turn them down and hold that table for a party of 8.

There's no penalty for booking for 8 and having only 7 show up. Much better than taking your chances on adding even a small 2 year old when the time comes! Also, you don't have to list all the guests when you book; you don't have to list anyone except the lead guest. If other members of the party have their own MDE accounts, then list them so that the ADR will show up in their MDE.

If no availability for a party of 7, check for a party of 8. It's well known that the ADR booking system hates odd numbers, and it seems to want to fill a table, so if there's a table with 8 seats and someone wants to book a party of 7, it will turn them down and hold that table for a party of 8.

There's no penalty for booking for 8 and having only 7 show up. Much better than taking your chances on adding even a small 2 year old when the time comes! Also, you don't have to list all the guests when you book; you don't have to list anyone except the lead guest. If other members of the party have their own MDE accounts, then list them so that the ADR will show up in their MDE.
I’ve also seen lots of parties of 8 seated in the first 2 rows of 2 cars that are right next to each other.
Good ideas. Thanks

For anyone interested in knowing, my family and I had our meal at Sci Fi Diner this past weekend. I was never able to find an available reservation for seven or eight. so I stuck with my reservation for six and asked at the front desk if he could squeeze an additional child into one of the rows. They said sure, no problem, and so the seven of us all sat in one car. 👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter