Sci Fi/Fantasy books for 13 year old boy

Stoneheart triology by Charlie Fletcher
The Inheritance Cycle series by Christopher Paolini (Eragon, etc.)
My son also loved the Redwall book series by Brian Jacques

I really like Naomi Novik's Temeraire series for boys that age. The genre of it is "fantastic" alternative history: the premise is that there was an air force during the Napoleonic Wars, and that it consisted of trained dragons and their riders. What I find fun about this series is that she has taken real events and overlaid this layer of magic over them.
I forgot about that series and I even read it a couple of years ago.

I decided to send him Dune this year. I have enough suggestions from all of you that I will have easy gift ideas for the next several years.

Shanara for sure. And there are tons of books/series.

Repairman Jack - Jack was a character in some F. Paul Wilson books that became popular and made into some spinoff books. The originals are considered horror/thriller, but I didn't find them that scary. I think the newer books (which I haven't read) are geared toward young people. You could look for reviews.

All the Rick Riodan books are perfect for a young teen. Percy Jackson, Heros of Olympus. A lot of book options here too.

Maze Runner. More post-apocolyptic.

Christopher Paolini has a series about dragons (eragon). This is a more difficult read, drier and more drawn out. So might not be the best option.

Artemis Fowl. Fantasy

39 Clues Books. Mystery

Maximum Ride Series

Last edited:
My 13 yo old son read Enders Game this summer as a school reading choice.
Jurassic Park Great science fiction, however it is a lot more violent than the movie.
Eragon Another series I love. Dragons and elves and lots of great fantasy.

Second all of these, and another to put on your future list:

Harry Turtledove's World War series - It's SciFi meets Alternate History; instead of fighting each other, the opposite sides in WWII have to band together to fight against an alien invasion.

I really like Naomi Novik's Temeraire series for boys that age. The genre of it is "fantastic" alternative history: the premise is that there was an air force during the Napoleonic Wars, and that it consisted of trained dragons and their riders. What I find fun about this series is that she has taken real events and overlaid this layer of magic over them.
Great bit of historical fantasy. Then when the hook is set, roll out Patrick O'Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter