Scooter drivers, do you prefer Disney buses or using your own car to go back and forth to the parks?

I rent from off site. I am not yet to the point that I need a scooter when I am not at Disney. But that day will come.

We drive to Disney. We then park the car and do our best to forget where we parked. We use Disney transportation to everything. The buses aren't bad, and the drivers are great. I've never had to wait. I've always loaded onto the next bus. But we do travel during the slow times.

I prefer the busses quite honestly. I'm just worried about this upcoming trip.

In the past my DH would alway drive the ECV into the bus for me. I think I panic when trying to get it into the bus. I did notice on our last trip,that the bus drivers were good about helping people. I just don't want to embarrass my son or his friend.

I know you will miss him on this trip. But you can do this, I promise.

Here's what those experienced bus drivers are going to tell you:

First of all, take a deep breath. "Turtle" mode is your best friend - far better to go slowly and carefully up (and down) the ramp. You will feel much safer, and much more in control. And control is what you want - you control the ECV, not the other way around. Try to line up as straight on the center of the ramp as you can, and keep your wheels straight as you go up. When coming down the ramp, remember to get the scooter all the way off the ramp (front and back wheels) before you try to turn right or left. A great "practice" run would be from your Resort to Disney Springs, after everyone has left for the Parks that day. You will probably have very few people waiting for the bus, and you will feel less stressed if you practice going to and from Disney Springs first, because during the daytime especially, those are usually much less crowded than Parks buses.

Just remember this whenever you are driving - that ECV has an attention span that is directly related to the power switch! You are in charge of the ECV!

Be honest with the bus drivers (and the Monorail CMs and the boat captains) and tell them "I'm a bit nervous, so any guidance you can give me will be appreciated!" They would much rather *KNOW* that you need some guidance and assistance up front. I have never seen any of the transportation CMs at WDW that aren't just first-class.

If you can, try to meet the vendor when they drop off the unit, so you can ask any questions you may have, and also ask them to show you any features you should be aware of.

But, if you get there, and you are still feeling nervous, why not ask your son, or his friend, to drive it on and off for you? I would have that conversation before you even leave on the trip; that way you have the reassurance that if you need that assistance, it will be there.

I hope you and your son (and his friend) have the best trip possible.

On our last trip, I found driving the scooter onto the bus very different than before.

On each and every bus, the driver offered to park the scooter, for me. On most buses, they offered to take it up the ramp.

At our destination, they turned the scooter and set it up to do directly down the ramp. I didn't have to try to turn it around.

They never actually rode the scooter. Each time they either turned it off and disengaged the drive or they used the power and steered from the handle bars.

I don't know what changed.

On our last trip, I found driving the scooter onto the bus very different than before.

On each and every bus, the driver offered to park the scooter, for me. On most buses, they offered to take it up the ramp.

At our destination, they turned the scooter and set it up to do directly down the ramp. I didn't have to try to turn it around.

They never actually rode the scooter. Each time they either turned it off and disengaged the drive or they used the power and steered from the handle bars.

I don't know what changed.

Well their not supposed to touch the ecv it against Disney policy for them to drive or touch the ecv. But most drivers feel bad and want to help you they also want to speed up the loading process and will do it for you. That way it safer for you so that why they offer it. So you might get all drivers that will load and unload the ecv for you then you might get one that might be newer or got in trouble and wants to follow policy and won't offer hands on help.

But all drivers should offer you verbal help with loading and unloading and give you all the time you need to load as it more important that you load safely then quickly.

Well their not supposed to touch the ecv it against Disney policy for them to drive or touch the ecv. But most drivers feel bad and want to help you they also want to speed up the loading process and will do it for you. That way it safer for you so that why they offer it. So you might get all drivers that will load and unload the ecv for you then you might get one that might be newer or got in trouble and wants to follow policy and won't offer hands on help.

But all drivers should offer you verbal help with loading and unloading and give you all the time you need to load as it more important that you load safely then quickly.
I thought that too. That they aren't allowed to touch them. But I've wondered about that rule. Other CMs touch them. Heck, they move them all over the parks. I've had my scooter moved from one designated scooter bay, to another. Once it was moved from the Pooh ride across the way to the Mine Train ride. So obviously, CMs can touch them.

I did have one driver say that they aren't allowed to drive them. So maybe that is the difference. The driver's realized that they can move them without driving them.

I thought that too. That they aren't allowed to touch them. But I've wondered about that rule. Other CMs touch them. Heck, they move them all over the parks. I've had my scooter moved from one designated scooter bay, to another. Once it was moved from the Pooh ride across the way to the Mine Train ride. So obviously, CMs can touch them.

I did have one driver say that they aren't allowed to drive them. So maybe that is the difference. The driver's realized that they can move them without driving them.

That a great point I know Disney dose not want them driving them because if they damage them then Disney has to pay. But if hey love them like the park cms wonder if it covered differently. Or they brought that up and Disney said as long as you don't drive them and do it like the park cms to be more carefully you guys can if the guest wants you to.

Or it diffenert insurance for parks and buses that if a park cm damages by accident then it won't coast Disney as much as it would if the driver did it.

Well just in case you get a driver that won't don't think their being rude it could just be they my not be newer and wanting to follow each policy. The drivers that been their a long time bend policy a lot to make guest happy or at least they try to make guest happy.

We've had multiple discussions with bus drivers over the years about this topic, because we have noticed there can be a wide difference from driver to driver as far as how "accommodating" they will be.

It's our families understanding that they are NOT supposed to drive, pick up, push, pull, or otherwise move the ECV (or any other mobility device); that is supposed to be done only by the Guest or their caregiver. The only exception to this is supposed to be if during the course of putting the tie-downs on the equipment, they need to shift the equipment, turn the wheel(s), etc.

However, as most of us have seen, they will do more than they are supposed to. I believe it's partly because they can speed the loading/unloading process by "helping", but also because there are far too many Guests who get to the bottom of the bus ramp and just throw up their hands and say "Oh! I can't do that that!" instead of taking the time to *learn* how to drive up on the bus, make that little right turn, and essentially parallel park the ECV. It's not hard to do - but I agree that it can be intimidating the first time.

If you follow the driver's instructions, go *slow* (Turtle mode is our friend here!) and line up as straight as you can before you start up the ramp, it's pretty straightforward. (pun intended! LOL) It's all about control; being able to control the speed and braking of the ECV is the primary skill set required for this. I have noticed that a lot of people get freaked out/startled/scared when they make that right turn at the top of the ramp, and they can feel the rear wheel(s) are still kind of down on the ramp; it feels like you might slip backwards, or you may have felt a tiny "bump" as you turn to the right because of the difference in the floor of the bus and the lowered ramp. But it's safe - I promise you that! - because if it wasn't, Disney wouldn't allow Guests to do it *thousands* of times a day on all of those buses!

The drivers will coach you, if you let them, on exactly what to do - just be honest and upfront with them, and tell them that you need some coaching on how to drive on and off the bus, and park. Believe me, they will be glad to help you learn, because they know that you will be not only faster to load and unload once you are comfortable with the process, but you will also be safer when you are in control of the ECV!

We've had multiple discussions with bus drivers over the years about this topic, because we have noticed there can be a wide difference from driver to driver as far as how "accommodating" they will be.

It's our families understanding that they are NOT supposed to drive, pick up, push, pull, or otherwise move the ECV (or any other mobility device); that is supposed to be done only by the Guest or their caregiver. The only exception to this is supposed to be if during the course of putting the tie-downs on the equipment, they need to shift the equipment, turn the wheel(s), etc.

However, as most of us have seen, they will do more than they are supposed to. I believe it's partly because they can speed the loading/unloading process by "helping", but also because there are far too many Guests who get to the bottom of the bus ramp and just throw up their hands and say "Oh! I can't do that that!" instead of taking the time to *learn* how to drive up on the bus, make that little right turn, and essentially parallel park the ECV. It's not hard to do - but I agree that it can be intimidating the first time.

If you follow the driver's instructions, go *slow* (Turtle mode is our friend here!) and line up as straight as you can before you start up the ramp, it's pretty straightforward. (pun intended! LOL) It's all about control; being able to control the speed and braking of the ECV is the primary skill set required for this. I have noticed that a lot of people get freaked out/startled/scared when they make that right turn at the top of the ramp, and they can feel the rear wheel(s) are still kind of down on the ramp; it feels like you might slip backwards, or you may have felt a tiny "bump" as you turn to the right because of the difference in the floor of the bus and the lowered ramp. But it's safe - I promise you that! - because if it wasn't, Disney wouldn't allow Guests to do it *thousands* of times a day on all of those buses!

The drivers will coach you, if you let them, on exactly what to do - just be honest and upfront with them, and tell them that you need some coaching on how to drive on and off the bus, and park. Believe me, they will be glad to help you learn, because they know that you will be not only faster to load and unload once you are comfortable with the process, but you will also be safer when you are in control of the ECV!

I'm nervous right now. I think it's mostly because I don't remember the specifics of driving it onto the bus. I know I did it before. I know I can do it again, but I'm just nervous about the driver yelling at me if I make a mistake. I'm also nervous about making a fool of myself in front of everyone at the bus stop. I know I'm probably overthinking this whole thing.

I'm taking everything that I'm reading here and I will try and remember everything. I'm sensing that going slow is the most important thing. *sighs*

I prefer to let Disney do the driving ALWAYS. I'd let them drive me to and from Tennessee if they could, LOL! I have my own scooter now, and i hate, hate, hate taking it apart. We're even buying a Chariot (brand name) so I never will have to break it down again. It's a lot like the ones Walker uses, but theirs are Rangers and mine's a Pacesaver. They're very sturdy, but also heavy! If I could have paid staff, it would be a tossup between a chauffeur and a maid! I used to get scared getting on the buses (getting off is easy), but I've had so much practice now that I have no problems. And dirty looks from deplorables don't bother me one bit. I've gone through a lot to have to need a scooter. I just glare back and know that Karma will getcha in the end. :crazy2: :crutches: :crazy2:

I'm nervous right now. I think it's mostly because I don't remember the specifics of driving it onto the bus. I know I did it before. I know I can do it again, but I'm just nervous about the driver yelling at me if I make a mistake. I'm also nervous about making a fool of myself in front of everyone at the bus stop. I know I'm probably overthinking this whole thing.

I'm taking everything that I'm reading here and I will try and remember everything. I'm sensing that going slow is the most important thing. *sighs*

The drivers will never yell at you and if they do you can report them. Won't go into how to save people my ramble yet. But just let the driver you might need help as it been a while since you been on a bus. They be more then happy to help as they want you to be happy and safe so if they can help you reduce your stress they will.

Also just remember this as to worried about making a fool of your self don't worry you will never see these guest again. So just focus on loading the ecv to have fun at the parks or go back to a resort or Disney springs. Your also at Disney world just have fun and don't stress about it.

Sorry for the ramble and bad grammar and spelling

@CatNipRules What @disney david said above is SO true!

The drivers won't yell at you! :) They *want* you to succeed in getting safely on and off the bus - just let them know you haven't done this in a while, like David said, and you'll be fine!

As far as other Guests go... Don't worry about them either. Here's why: First of all, once your leave WDW, you have a better chance of winning the lottery AND the Pubishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes on the same day than of *ever* seeing any other WDW Guest again! Seriously! Think about it logically for a moment; people come from all over the WORLD to WDW, and at any given moment, even though there are *thousands* of people at WDW, only a handful are actually going to see you at the buses. Of that handful, I will bet you a Mickey Bar that only 1 or 2 are even going to pay any attention to you getting on or off the bus - simply because most folks at WDW are too busy worrying about their own vacations! With so many people using the My Disney Experience app, you'll notice that more people than ever have their phones out, and they will looking to book Fast Passes, or check attraction wait times, etc. Or, they will be posting to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, or taking selfies... you get the idea.

If anyone *should* say anything to you about how long it took you to board, just look them straight in the eye, and say this: "It's true that I get to drive on to the bus first, but when we get there, you get to get off first, and you will be long gone, having fun by the time I make my way back down the ramp, and into the Park. I would happily walk if I could, but I can't. Enjoy your time today at Disney World." You don't have to be mean or snarky about it (and I know you would never be) but just be firm and polite.

But I have to tell you something else. I have been going to WDW, on average 3 times a year for quite some time now. And it's true that several years ago, it seemed like there were a lot of people who were acting really badly towards ECV drivers. Comments and stares were routinely reported by folks who had to use an ECV at WDW. Some reported worse behavior, and I experienced my fair share. Just when our family had decided that if things didn't improve on our next trip, we would no longer go to WDW, we had a great trip. No problems, smooth sailing all around. It's been that way ever since.

I don't know what changed, but I do know that the overall attitude towards ECV users in general is *much* more tolerant now than it was even a couple of years ago. Look everyone straight in the eyes, smile, and be positive. It's harder to be grumpy at someone who is being nice to you!

Just remember this, if you remember nothing else we have discussed this week: Your ECV is a *tool* you will use to maximize your vacation at WDW. Just like someone who wears glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to hear better, your ECV allows you to move around Disney World like any other Guest. It's just a tool, nothing more. It doesn't mean you are lazy, it doesn't mean you aren't a good person in any way - it just means you need to use a tool (the ECV) to be able to fully enjoy WDW.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter