Screaming bothering others?

Originally posted by saymama
rick, thanks, I needed that!!!!! We will have tons of fun. I'm sure. As each day passes I get more and more excited and less and less apprehensive. This will be the most magical trip ever!

Saymama, you just need to make one big promise to me. If someone does say something, or do something, or look at you funny, or is just plain mean, do exactly what they deserve. Just give them a HUGE smile and wave. And keep on movin' on and enjoying the what WDW is all about. And promise you won't let anyone get you down!!!

Originally posted by mommie2angels
Rick, once again I have to tell you that you are amazing! I think you spend more time helping to make other people's trips magical than worrying about your own.

awwwwww..... man, am I ever blushing!

saymama, the purple one is a Convaid Safari tilt. We LOVE it!!! We have had a Convaid for her for awhile but it didn't tilt. This one is great! The only problem is the handles to tilt it are on the handles you use to push it. Some people come up thinking they are breaks. It throws her backwards. She is always buckles and she just laughs but it makes me a little nervous. It's usually just friends of ours playing around with her and they learn really fast what those are there for. I wish there was a safety on it like DD#1's chair.

pumpkinboy, the other chair is a Zippie. We love it too. I am sure dd would be very jealous of you ds if she saw his splashes on his chair. Have you seen the wheels that light up as you roll. Those are really cool too. They are kinda small though and I think they might give us some trouble trying to get around.

I think we are getting a convaid basic. No extras except the sunroof. Which I think it too small anyway. I order a stroller cover to go over it. I got it in yesterday. it will wrap down around the sides to give him some extra protection when he gets too excited. And I went to walmart and got some Nemo material to make a blanket. He loves it already. So he'll have plenty to be able to take a sensory break. I can hand him his gameboy under the blanket to help block out other noises. He doesn't play it, just watches the demo.

AT least your daughter laughs about dropped backwards. I know it would make me nervous. Write to the company. Maybe they can at least change it on the next model.

Have you ever tried just telling him to stop it? (the screaming, that is). I have a friend who is a special ed teacher. She had a student who was a screamer. I don't know the diagnosis or reason he screamed, so I don't know if her method would work for you. However, the first day of class, this student proceeded to let out ear-piercing screams. My friend just put a hand gently but firmly on his shoulder and said "we don't do that here". He stopped. Just like that! However, when he's with other teachers he continues to scream. BTW, the childs' parents were upset with her methods and complained that she wasn't being "sensitive" to his needs. Apparently, no one else has ever tried to just make him stop except her. The fact that he behaves in her classroom is beside the point, the parents somehow think its an accomodation to their child's disability to allow him to scream however and whenever he wants. Yes, I'll probably get a lot of flames for this, but sometimes the parents of disabled children let the child get away with things that he really could control if provided the structure to do so. And, like I said, I might be comparing apples to oranges, not knowing the details of each child's problem. However, my friend got results with her special ed student that way, maybe worth a try? Good luck to you!:sunny:

Actually, I am a very strict parent and for the most part they are well behaved children disability or not. I do not let autism get in the way of them being disiplined. We do sign language "no" and say no scream. But usually just when I know he's upset. I have not tried to stop the happy ones. Sometimes he complies sometimes he doesn't. But what am I supposed to do spank him? That won't help I promise and then I don't want him to think that using his voice in anyway is bad. I do try to control the mad screams, but let's remember now that he is still a kid and kids "normal" ones too, do things like this. It's just the "normal" are easier to rationalize with that it is unappropriate. I do appreciate the suggestion and I will try it.

Saymama,

I certainly didn't mean to imply that your child is capable of controlling his screaming and you just sit there and let him. If that's how I came across, I'm sorry (that's the trouble with posts, they can be misunderstood. They are brief, don't take into account facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, etc). However, your post reminded me of my friend's experience. The amazing thing is that she got results with just one try. However, the student continued to scream, rock, etc., in other classes. However, she was not viewed favorably by the administration. The parents complained that she wasn't sensitive to the child's needs, and made her so miserable she quit the end of that school year. I'm having a sorta similar battle with my son's school now. He's 7 years old and recently diagnosed with ADHD. His IEP includes such "accomodations" as shorter assignments, more lienient grading scale, extra time for tests, etc. He also constantly fidgets, gets out of his seat, wanders the classroom, etc. They want to give him "structured fidget time" (my verbage, not theirs), which includes running bogus errands (please take this envelope to Miss Jones), and a "fidget" center (their verbage), which is basically a play station with various gadgets to fiddle with that he can go to on a routine basis or whenever he's having trouble sitting still. Well, insofar as the first "accomodation" I want him held to the same standards as the rest of the class. He's bright enough, he needs to learn to apply himself. As to the second "accomodation" , well, he will quickly put cause and effect together and be fidgeting all day. Basically, with both accomodations, they're encouraging the very behaviors they're trying to correct. Well, our circumstances are quite different, I realize. Good luck with whatever parenting methods you choose. I'm sure you're an excellent mother:D

I just wanted to say that I have three children, my son who is 4, has PDD/Autism and is non-verbal. We took our first trip to Disney World last summer and hoping we can go again this summer.
I know that scream and smiled when I read your post. My son screams every time he is excited. Almost everyday, his bus driver tell me he screams, I smile and say he's a happy boy. Have fun and I would not even give it another thought of what other people think of your son's screaming. All my children scream, laugh, cry, etc...as to most of every other children I have seen and heard.

I did get the GMAC pass which was extemely helpful and use it when we needed it. He loved splash mountain, buzz lightyear, pirates of the carribean, any spinning ride. He did not care for the Muppets 3-D and Honey I shrunk the Kid as well as my other children, so we walked out.

Just had a question about the stroller you mentioned..our insurance is a big pain in the butt. How in the world did you get it covered..please p.m.

I have been a poster on the board before my old user name is
Jessiewoodiel35. Sorry- changed my email and forgot my password.

Again, have a wonderful time..you guys will love it!!!!!!

vhoffman,

I didn't take your post in anyother way than helpful. It's a great suggestion. My speech therapist uses touch in therapy with syllables. Never thought to use it for commands. It was great advice.

But I do think that because I mentioned earlier, that I would not tell him to stop that some thought that I just let him do as he pleases. I've actually been told my many teachers and therapists that they are very well behaved. I do hold them to a higher standard than most. I think that's why they excel to much during the summer when they are with me. I just expect more out of them.

I'm sorry your friend had a tough time. I would have thought she was a genious and had her do it with everyone every place he went.

on a side note, I just got back from the jewelry store. And ordered regular id bracelets for the boys. The medical alert ones were 105. these were 12. I only had enough room on it for their name on the front and autistic on the back. But my address wouldn't do any good at disney world anyway.

For people who might not be familiar with Medica Alert:
Bracelets that you can get at a jwelry shop or sometimes in the drugstore with a medical message on them are good, but I just wanted to point out that the Medic Alert price is not as much for the bracelet itself, but for the Medic Alert service that comes with the bracelet. Each bracelet has a code number that links to a record in their computer. And there is a 24 hour phone number available for contact. So, if the person wearing the bracelet is not able to speak for themselves, someone can find out contact information and medical information.

I had no idea! But I don't think that these were those. They were just bracelets with the red symbol on them and you can engrave what you want.

I have a 5 year old with PDD/Autism. Zac screams at everything and everybody new. We are going to wdw in June and I am a little worried about how he will deal with the crowds and the waiting in lines, I don't see why he should have to be penalised and avoid certain attractions just because he has a disability and doesn't understand that the rest of the world don't want to hear how loud his echo sounds. :bounce: Zac doesn't like to stand in line and will more than likely lay down on the floor and start screaming, all done, and I'm sure onlookers will assume that he's being bad. he will be made to walk from one attraction to another, but when he refuses he'll just sit down and act like a normal, naughty child which is when onlookers start giving me suggestions on how to raise my child and they all tell me that if there child behaved like this they would be suitably punished etc etc, why should i have to explain to world and his wife Zacs problems. I know that on our trip we will have meltdowns, and I will do everything I can to avoid them, but I will not avoid attractions at other guests request, afterall we paid to get in, just like they do!

help me out here, please can some one tell me what the GMAC pass is and where do I get it?

wward when you arrive at the first park you plan to visit take your son to guest services and get a GAC. You will need to explain what accommodations will help you such as being able to wait away from the crowd, can't wait in lines, may hit others if he is in line. Just saying he is autistic will explain a lot. He must be with you for this.
Also read some of the other posts her about trips with autistic kids. Some use a stroller as a wheelchair to confine their child and give him a sense of security and keep out excess stimulation. There are many posts on autism here.

Originally posted by saymama
I had no idea! But I don't think that these were those. They were just bracelets with the red symbol on them and you can engrave what you want.
The expensive bracelets you saw were probably just expensive bracelets. The ones from Medic Alert are very nice, but I think you can only order them from Medic Alert. The official MEdica Alert ones are the only ones that provide more than a message on a bracelet.
help me out here, please can some one tell me what the GMAC pass is and where do I get it?
It's not a pass, it's a Guest Assistance Card. I've never heard it referred to as a GMAC pass, but I think they were referring to the GAC. To add to what Talking Hands posted:

You can go to Guest Services in any of the parks and request a Guest Assistance Card (we call them GACs to avoid typing so much). In general, people who use wheelchairs or ecvs don't need and won't be given a GAC because just having the wheelchair/ecv alerts the CM that they need an accessible entrance. If that meets your needs, you don't need a GAC.
But some people need a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun, a place away from other people or to be able to bring a stroller into line and have it treated the same as a wheelchair. The GAC is a tool to alert CMs of that sort of invisible need. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line.
To request a GAC, go to Guest Services in any of the parks with the person with a disability and explain your needs. Just saying, "My child has _____" does not help much, because some people with that diagnosis will have minimal problems waiting in line and others will have lots of problems. You need to be able to explain what sorts of behaviors/problems you expect to encounter. The GACs have different messages stamped on them, depending on what the needs are. GAcs issued in one park are good in all parks and are usually valid for your entire length of stay (You don't need to get a new one each day).GACs are usually issued for the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party - there may be times when you are asked to split into smaller groups because of attraction capacity in the special needs area for that ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter