Seasoned CA DL visitor, first time to TDR

erbie

Mouseketeer
I've been going to CA Disneyland my entire life and CA Adventure since it opened, so I know them both well, and have been on all the rides many times. I've also been to WDW a couple times, many years ago.

I'm going to Tokyo in January and I have one day at each park, so I want to make the most of my time and do things that I can't do at the CA and FL resorts.
  1. For the equivalent rides at TDR, which ones should I make sure to go on, vs which ones are pretty much the same? (e.g. I don't need to go on Small World unless it's substantially different. I'd rather ride something they don't have in CA or FL.)
  2. What rides do they only have at the TDR parks that I shouldn't miss?
  3. What shows at each park are a can't miss experience?
  4. Are there any food experiences that are unique to TDR?
Thanks!

I've been going to CA Disneyland my entire life and CA Adventure since it opened, so I know them both well, and have been on all the rides many times. I've also been to WDW a couple times, many years ago.

I'm going to Tokyo in January and I have one day at each park, so I want to make the most of my time and do things that I can't do at the CA and FL resorts.
  1. For the equivalent rides at TDR, which ones should I make sure to go on, vs which ones are pretty much the same? (e.g. I don't need to go on Small World unless it's substantially different. I'd rather ride something they don't have in CA or FL.)
Thanks!
Sharing this site, best I’ve found for planning a visit to TDR. He covers everything!

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/tokyo-disney-trip-planning-guide/

Thanks!

1 and 2.
Most rides at TDL will feel similar. Beauty and the Beast, Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc are the main unique rides. The Happy Ride with Baymax is like a retheme of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree so it may not be worth waiting in that long line. It's a Small World and Jungle Cruise are quite different and are the ones I'd prioritize. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Carribean, Mark Twain's Riverboat and Western River Railroad all have different noticeably visuals and could also be worth riding if you have time. While not a ride, the Tiki Room is very different.
Most rides at Disneysea will feel unique. Toy Story Mania, Indiana Jones and Jasmine's Flying Carpets are the main ones that will feel almost identical to rides in the US. Soaring Fantastic Flight has a very different pre-show and ending scene than Soarin' Around the World but likely too long of a line to wait in if you only have one day. Tower of Terror has a completely unique storyline.

3. For shows at TDL, make sure you line up for the open seating for Club Mouse Beat if they have one (usually the first show of the day) and you lose the Entry Request Lottery. Mickey's Magical Music World and Big Band Beat often have open seating in the upper floors if you lose the lottery. While Jamboree Mickey is a cultural phenomenon in Japan, if you only have one day, maybe skip it or see only the version at DisneySea rather than Disneyland if you have time. Parades and night shows are worth seeing although the fireworks are just a few minutes without impressive projection mapping that you have in other parks.
The seaonal events haven't been announced yet so it's hard to say if the other shows that may happen when you are there will be good or not. This year's Minnie shows in January were probably skippable for a foreign tourist with only one day in each park but seasonal shows pre-pandemic were some of the most impressive. The New Years shows are nice but possibly skippable if you're there during those days in January.

4. Depends on what you mean by "food experiences". There's show restuarants but I don't recommend that for first time visitors since getting reservations is difficult. I find that table service at TDR is very resonably priced at Tokyo Disney compared to the other Disney parks so if you have time, I'd recommend Eastside Cafe and Hokusai on the Disneyland side as well as Ristorante di canaletto at Disneysea. Counter service is good too and I recommend trying foods that you can't get at other Disney parks like the hamburg steak with rice at Queen of Hearts. While the seasonal menu for January hasn't been announced yet, there will always be some intersetingly themed snacks. Some people are obsessed with the different flavored popcorn but I don't personally care for that.

4. Depends on what you mean by "food experiences". There's show restuarants but I don't recommend that for first time visitors since getting reservations is difficult. I find that table service at TDR is very resonably priced at Tokyo Disney compared to the other Disney parks so if you have time, I'd recommend Eastside Cafe and Hokusai on the Disneyland side as well as Ristorante di canaletto at Disneysea. Counter service is good too and I recommend trying foods that you can't get at other Disney parks like the hamburg steak with rice at Queen of Hearts. While the seasonal menu for January hasn't been announced yet, there will always be some intersetingly themed snacks. Some people are obsessed with the different flavored popcorn but I don't personally care for that.
Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

What I meant by food experiences was restaurants, shops (like the candy shop or Carnation at CADL), and carts like popcorn, turkey legs, ice cream, etc. Though I don't imagine I'll be wanting ice cream in January, since it's expected to be quite chilly! Like if someone were asking this question about the CA parks, I'd tell them to get a turkey leg at the cart near the castle since it's the best bargain at the parks, try the honey caramel corn by Pooh, get beignets in Nola Square, and a caramel apple at the candy store. The Mexican food and clam chowder at CA used to be pretty good, but not sure what's there now since the retheming for San Fransokyo, as I haven't been in a couple years.

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

What I meant by food experiences was restaurants, shops (like the candy shop or Carnation at CADL), and carts like popcorn, turkey legs, ice cream, etc. Though I don't imagine I'll be wanting ice cream in January, since it's expected to be quite chilly! Like if someone were asking this question about the CA parks, I'd tell them to get a turkey leg at the cart near the castle since it's the best bargain at the parks, try the honey caramel corn by Pooh, get beignets in Nola Square, and a caramel apple at the candy store. The Mexican food and clam chowder at CA used to be pretty good, but not sure what's there now since the retheming for San Fransokyo, as I haven't been in a couple years.

Mexican food at the CA parks is still pretty good. Asian food is still bad but the Asian + Mexican fusion dishes in San Fransokyo are good. I was never that into the clam chowder or honey caramel corn.

It's harder to recommend exact things for Tokyo Disney because the menus change so often. Some winters, the Gazebo in TDL will have hot chowder in a bread cone that's great in January. But it could also be rice and meat in a waffle cone that's also good but doesn't warm you up the same way on a cold day. The most viral food item is probably the Green Alien Mochi which is usually available starting late January in Mama Biscotti's Bakery in DisneySea and sometimes in Tomorrowland or Sweetheart Cafe in Disneyland. Exact filling flavors for the mochi change each year. At various restaurants, you can find Apple Tea Soda and Golden Cider which basically don't exist outside the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter