• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Secured a SWGE reservation- what movies should we watch?

Mimi2Cam

Mouseketeer
Ok- some background— When I made reservations to fly across the country for mid June with my daughter and grandsons, I had (dare I say desperately) hoped that SWGE would be opening after our visit. I was (and still am) afraid that the parks are going to be uncomfortably crowded.

Alas, that is not the case and despite having never seen any of the Star Wars movies myself, reading all of the zillions of posts filled with happy anticipation made me excited as well. That said, my 9 year old grandson is vaguely familiar with Star Wars and is sure to love it if he knows what it’s all about and that’s why I participated in the mad scramble that was the SWGE reservation process yesterday.

So, all of that said, what movies should we watch to prepare? I looked in Target today and was shocked at the number of Star Wars movies and didn’t know where to begin. Please help.

Thanks!

If you and your grandkids know absolutely nothing whatsoever about Star Wars (which is what is sounds like) I recommend watching The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

If you want to do more than that, do these movies in this order:

1. A New Hope (still known to those of us who watched it in theaters as Star Wars)
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Last Jedi

The prequels are crap and are more likely to turn you off of the whole thing, just skip them.

If that is not enough content, I'd recommend watching the Disney Channel show Star Wars Rebels. That should be more than enough to get you to mid-June.

Yeah- it’s not like I’ve been living under a complete rock, but honestly, it wasn’t something that ever fit generationally, if you know what I mean. My husband’s oldest nephew was a tween when the first movie came out and was a huge fan. I’ve bumped into the movies over the years but haven’t ever really watched them. My grandson is a big Marvel, specifically Spider-Man, fan.

Anyway, I appreciate your input as well as your patience with someone who is obviously riding this wave of excitement. But the way I look at it, we’re going to be there and I want to understand what everything is all about! The excitement really is contagious!:yay:

If you and your grandkids know absolutely nothing whatsoever about Star Wars (which is what is sounds like) I recommend watching The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

If you want to do more than that, do these movies in this order:

1. A New Hope (still known to those of us who watched it in theaters as Star Wars)
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Last Jedi

The prequels are crap and are more likely to turn you off of the whole thing, just skip them.

If that is not enough content, I'd recommend watching the Disney Channel show Star Wars Rebels. That should be more than enough to get you to mid-June.
I second this.

If you have time, watch Solo. And Rogue One, which occurs just before Star Wars A New Hope.

If you go with The Last Jedi, you may want to watch it yourself first - or at least check with the parents. My (just turned) 9-year-old has seen the original 3, but I think The Last Jedi is too intense so we haven't let her watch that one yet - maybe in another year. And there's no way I'd let her watch Rogue One yet - I found it way too dark and violent. Each kid is different/will react to different things, so I know it depends a lot on the kid. I like Common Sense Media for their movie summaries and age-appropriate recommendations.

I also think you could go into Galaxy's Edge without ever having watched any of the movies, and still enjoy the immersive environments and experiences. Disney specifically said they are making everything to appeal to super-fans and non-fans alike.

I’m sure you’re right but two things get in my way.

First, I’m 42 days out, but who’s counting lol. I feel like I spend more time scouring these boards than anything else right now. I’m vacation obsessed. It’s my nature.

Second, I think a four hour allotment/commitment on vacation across the country merits some research. I want to be able to appreciate the stuff that all of you do while I’m there. And to create meaningful memories to talk about with my grandkids for (hopefully) a very long timepixiedust:

This is such a good thread! I really haven't watched many of the Star Wars films except the new-ish ones. I leave on an international trip next week and won't return until days before we leave for Disneyland, so this might be a good option on the 8+ hour flights to get caught up on all the Star Wars films.

Yes thanks for this thread... I have to do some shopping (and then watching) as well...
Never fully watched a movie but I definitely wanna try it out before I go...

I’m recording them all today (marathon all day for May 4th)
Still not sure where to start with my son (he’s 6.) I think I tried to get him into New Hope once and he was bored.
Maybe we’ll start with episode 1 (I know, I know..). And work our way up.

I also think you could go into Galaxy's Edge without ever having watched any of the movies, and still enjoy the immersive environments and experiences. Disney specifically said they are making everything to appeal to super-fans and non-fans alike.
I hope so. I've never seen any of the movies, and can only name the main characters. Other than that, I have no star wars knowledge whatsoever. Reading some of the Parks blog explaining what the new land is themed after is so foreign to me lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter