Security bag check warning items

This is kind of my point, personally I don't think there's any rhyme to reason as to what sets them off. People waste more time taking stuff out of there bag then just heading over to bag check.
Personal choice for sure. We find it very easy to quickly grab out the couple of items we know cause problems as opposed to join the line of people having their entire bag searched. The couple of times we had our bag checked (until we discovered what our trigger items were), took much longer to go through bag check than us pulling in advance and holding in front of us.

When we're in line to enter the park, every person passing me and entering the park before me feels like 10 people! 😂 Yup - FOMO strong in bag security lines for me!!

The batteries will likely trigger as they vary by size but best to pull them out. I pull phone, battery, sunglass case. Last trip was interesting. I literally had same exact items in same exact bag. Some pulled, some didn't, some were even on the same day. One woman wasn't even looking at the screen, pulled me, I kinda balked and she said "look right here" and showed an orange square OVER MY HAND THAT WAS EXTENDED OUT from my body. I said that is this, in my hand. She got nasty. Guy who was to look at my bag was aggravated with her, rolled his eyes and didn't even open my bag.

One line was so long and this young man behind me got pulled. He got really sketchy pacing and then tried to run out the line, needless to say he got surrounded. The lines for the search can be long and tedious so it's better to just pull out anything that might trigger. Metal seems to be the problem.

I find it random. I can walk through 9 scanners with the exact same things on my bag and make it through and the 10th I'll get flagged.
YUP and that is likely a user error aka security not paying attention to the screen so a CYA.

Last edited:
We have tried many strategies and sometimes we still get pulled over. When we do, I remind myself that this is a step to prevent a situation inside the park and I try to thank security for keeping us safe.

On a recent trip I think it was our rental car keys that kept setting off the security and another time it was the reward buttons from the Christmas tree scavenger hunt.

I generally hold out my glasses, phone, and battery chargers. I rarely have an umbrella, but would do that too if I did. Don't often have the car keys, but that would be good idea.

We have an insulated water bottle and battery packs. We go stopped once with them a couple years ago. But we pull them out now and have never been stopped since. Not sure which one it was that flagged us though

Once we were going up to the monorail station at CR. DH set off the scanner three times, each time removing more items from his pockets - keys, money clip, coins, I can’t remember what else. Finally was cleared. The CM told us the sensitivity of the scanners is set at different levels at different places and on different days, which makes sense that it wouldn’t be predictable at all times.

I'm surprised so many people are saying phones. With rare exception, every single adult has a phone in their bag or pocket. We haven't taken ours out since they switched to the new system.

I was holding out my metal water bottle. A security employee told me I didn’t need to do that. I have a Vera Bradley glasses holder that is all cloth. My battery charger is a fuel rod and it is always ok. I just hold out my umbrella. My daughter has a fairly large battery charger and never got pulled (trip was last week) except one day at world gateway entrance to Epcot and she got wanded (as did everyone who got pulled for screening) and bag searched. It was her charger. I don’t think all of the detectors are set to the exact same sensitivity.

My daughter-in-law had a few items in a Disney drawstring backpack and got pulled out the first 3 times she went through, even when holding her phone outside the bag. She then gave the bag to my son the next time we went through, and NO problem for either of them. Just for fun they took turns carrying the bag through, and she got pulled out EVERY time she held the bag, and him not at all, despite the bag containing the exact same items. Go figure.

It also seems to us you get flagged if you are carrying more than one bag. One day it was going to rain so we had small hip bag and a drawstring bag with just jackets. Nothing in either bag should have set it off, but whoever was holding two bags got flagged whenever we entered a park that day.

This:
View attachment 860924
And epipens.
Phone, sunglass case, phone chargers as well.
This is LITERALLY what got me. It took a few stops with me asking security what was doing it before a couple guys at MK made it their mission to find out what it was, God bless them they suggested this thingy. Removed it and never had an issue. All I keep now is a bandaid and a touch of antibiotic, especially since I learned all the parks have a First Aid with basic stuff if something happens.

My kindle. I now put my kindle, iPhone, eyeglass case, fuel rods, keys, mini flashlight in a ziplock bag and carry it and my umbrella out in front of me when going thru scanners. Since I never know what items will set them off I think different scanners are set to different sensitivities. This just makes it easier on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter