Seeking a Little Clarity About Crowds and Hours

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
So my wife wants just the two of us to do Disney together. She has dropped hints a few times and I tell her, "oh wouldn't that be nice" and I leave it alone. I want to plan something and totally surprise her. We just got back from Disney and we are going again with almost the same large group in 6 weeks. I am thinking of taking her early 2019. Gives me plenty of time to plan.

She honestly does not do well in crowds. It gives her a little anxiety. For the most part she is fine, but the more she feels she can walk around without being shoulder to shoulder to people, the more she is able to relax.

So, to get to my query -
I have read some websites where I gather that January and February are slower times. I read that other than one week in January, the parks are more manageable than most of the rest of the year. Also sounds like LOTS of tour groups are all over the parks in massive groups. Also sounds like with slower times comes shorter park hours. Like most parks close at 7 or 8. I also read it is colder out, even in Florida. My wife does not like the cold at all, so that is something I have to consider. For those of you there all of the time, is this a good assessment or are these people just copying and pasting what they read into a webpage? It is hard to tell with so many Disney websites which are coming from people with personal experience and which are just fans of the park.

The worst trip I ever had was the last week of Jan. It was cold, raining & still felt crowded b/c there were a lot of tour groups & park hours were very short. February would probably be better but stay away from president’s week.

My DH has lots of anxiety when dealing with crowds so I was very worried about our trip as I have to go in the summer because I'm a teacher. We went the first week of June, and because of my extensive planning and us doing rope drop - midday breaks - and evening touring we really did not deal with many crowds. We rarely waited in line lines either. The weather can be really hot, though for us this year it was not because there was a bit of rain and lots of cloud cover.

Last edited:
My DH has lots of anxiety when dealing with crowds so I was very worried about our trip as I have to go in the summer because I'm a teacher. We went the first week of June, and because of my extensive planning and us doing rope drop - midday breaks - and evening touring we really did not deal with many crowds. We rarely waited in line lines either. The weather can be really hot, though for us this year it was not because there was a bit of rain and lots of crowd cover.

I did read something, I cannot remember where, that this summer saw lower crowds than usual in Disney World. I wonder if that will become the trend. My wife does not like the cold. I do not like it when it is over 90 degress out.

The worst trip I ever had was the last week of Jan. It was cold, raining & still felt crowded b/c there were a lot of tour groups & park hours were very short. February would probably be better but stay away from president’s week.

Thanks for that comment and advice.

Late April to early May might be nice. I haven't been this of year but heard that the weather is warmer and the crowds are lower. We have also be to Disney the week of Labor Day and the end of May beginning of June. The week of Labor Day except for Monday the crowds are low. We did all of MK in a day and a half one year. the end of May beginning of June was light as well but maybe a little bit more crowded then September. Still easy to get around and not shoulder to shoulder. Both weeks are very hot though.

We went 2014 in January, and it was awesome.
We had to wear jackets most of the time, but the temp didn't drop below mid 50s at night, which to me was fine. Crowds were super low. Like we didn't wait in line more than 20 min for any ride- most had no wait at all. We went the week after MLK holiday weekend.
We also went last May (2016), the week before Memorial Day., and the crowds were very similar, and temps were very nice. It reached 90s a couple times, but not Humid at all like in July-Sept.
Hope that helps :)

Late April to early May might be nice. I haven't been this of year but heard that the weather is warmer and the crowds are lower. We have also be to Disney the week of Labor Day and the end of May beginning of June. The week of Labor Day except for Monday the crowds are low. We did all of MK in a day and a half one year. the end of May beginning of June was light as well but maybe a little bit more crowded then September. Still easy to get around and not shoulder to shoulder. Both weeks are very hot though.

This would be my suggestion as well-- last week of April/first week of May.

After Spring Breaks are done, but before Memorial Day and the end of the school year (mid-May in some districts).

January may be fine, but it is very possible that it could be absolutely freezing. So if that will put a major damper on the trip for your wife, I would not chance it.

I did read something, I cannot remember where, that this summer saw lower crowds than usual in Disney World. I wonder if that will become the trend. My wife does not like the cold. I do not like it when it is over 90 degress out.
I meant to type cloud cover...but you probably figured that. It very well could be hotter than 90 so you may want to try May. I've heard the crowds are very manageable then too.

Late April (as long as it's at least 2 weeks after Easter) or early May. That's what you're looking for.

Anytime from Jan to early March CAN be freezing in Orlando. If you want to avoid that, you have to avoid going at that time.
They won't be freezing for days on end but it can, and does, have days with very cold temps. It's pretty miserable to be trying to do a theme park in the cold.
Mid-March on and the odds drop a lot that it will get that cold.

I would push my trip on in to early May personally. Too close to school getting out so there aren't breaks. Even the earlier schools aren't out yet. Weather has gotten really nice but you'll avoid the 90's (except for an odd day here or there)

Anytime from Jan to early March CAN be freezing in Orlando. If you want to avoid that, you have to avoid going at that time.
They won't be freezing for days on end but it can, and does, have days with very cold temps. It's pretty miserable to be trying to do a theme park in the cold.
Mid-March on and the odds drop a lot that it will get that cold.

I would push my trip on in to early May personally. Too close to school getting out so there aren't breaks. Even the earlier schools aren't out yet. Weather has gotten really nice but you'll avoid the 90's (except for an odd day here or there)

Early May is my fave time of year for many reasons: crowds are more manageable than spring break or what summer used to be, hot enough that I want to swim but not as miserable as Jun/Jul/Aug, flower & garden festival. Also you don't run the risk of it being "off-season" and more rides are guaranteed to be open. I have gone in Dec once where temps were in the low 30s and that was MISERABLE. If Jan/Feb provide more opportunities for that kind of weather, I would avoid it like the plague. As many have said, early May seems to be the sweet spot to address all the concerns you mention.

I am another fan of first week of May. I thought this year was more crowded than it has been in the past, but its still preferable to other times of the year.

We’ve been the first week of May the last two years and are planning to go again next year. I will say the majority of our days were in the 90s. We had a few days in the 80s but the humidity was low (for FL anyway). I thought it was very comfortable but my kids complained about the heat. Might I suggest Nov for weather? I can’t speak to Disney crowds but we were at Universal in early Nov last year and the weather was beautiful. Sunny and 70-85. I just did a scan of the weather this week and it looks similar (we’re going to Uni at Thanksgiving this year so I’m keeping an eye on it).

We are going 1/27 to 2/3. We're from MI so even if it’s Florida cold, we won’t be cold. The crowds should be nice and low. We went the first week in May before and crowds were low but it was HOT. Unseasonably so, but still. Over 100 on several days. I melted...

We’ve been the first week of May the last two years and are planning to go again next year. I will say the majority of our days were in the 90s. We had a few days in the 80s but the humidity was low (for FL anyway). I thought it was very comfortable but my kids complained about the heat. Might I suggest Nov for weather? I can’t speak to Disney crowds but we were at Universal in early Nov last year and the weather was beautiful. Sunny and 70-85. I just did a scan of the weather this week and it looks similar (we’re going to Uni at Thanksgiving this year so I’m keeping an eye on it).
Oddly, last weekend, it was in the 40's, the weather is ever changing for certain. Though a cold snap in Oct is much more rare than the rest of the fall.

We have had good luck crowd wise with the end of February and the end of April (with an early Easter). February had a mix of warm and cold - like our jackets weren't warm enough and we're shivering during the fireworks cold. Our April trip we ended up with 2 days with a heat index of 98. So pick your poison, I guess.

My last five trips have been in January and we love that time in Disney. You have to deal with some refurbishments. Cold is a matter of opinion. I am from New York and wore shorts and packed a light jacket for evenings. Park hours are a little shorter as well so there are some positives/negatives. For me...I don't do well in the heat so I target this time of year partially for that.

So my wife wants just the two of us to do Disney together.

We are going late January through early February and then heading over to UO for a few days after most of the Harry Potter folks have come and gone. As another poster said- it has been quite cold here for several days now- and just started warming back up yesterday. Your take away from that should be that the weather is unpredictable despite what historical averages may be. My wife is Canadian, and I am originally from PA- so we don't mind the cold as long as it is short term and we don't have to shovel snow :P

I don't see touring the parks when it is cold as 'miserable'. As long as you have the right clothes with you, and layer properly- it is actually just the opposite- as crowds are light and the lines at attractions are low. The days we are going crowd levels are predicted to be 2 and 3. I would suggest if you want the facts- and not perceptions and rumors- that you get a subscription to Touring Plans. I have been to WDW quite a few times, and still use them for crowd calendars and the Lines app. That said, they have been off in their predictions a few times as well- there simply is no perfect system- you can only plan as best you can and hope everything falls into place.

We do expect to run into some tour groups- but we have run into them in November and December as well- that is hit or miss, and to minimize the hits just look at what else is going on in WDW/Orlando at the time. We have NEVER run into a tour group at rope drop- they normally show up much later (takes a long time to coordinate getting a big group out of bed, fed and ready to go). That said, you mentioned your wife doesn't like the cold. Odds are it will be cold here for at least part of your trip if you come in Jan or Feb. We have a resident Silver AP, and I would suggest you look up the blackout dates online (just google 'silver annual pass blackout dates')- as when they blackout residents the parks are crowded, and Disney doesn't want to 'add more fuel to the fire'. Use that info along with some of the suggestions of the other posters here, and you should be able to come up with something that will work in your situation. Good luck.

Last edited:
This would be my suggestion as well-- last week of April/first week of May.

After Spring Breaks are done, but before Memorial Day and the end of the school year (mid-May in some districts).

January may be fine, but it is very possible that it could be absolutely freezing. So if that will put a major damper on the trip for your wife, I would not chance it.
Have gone this last week of April /first of. May a couple of times although several years ago. Loved it except for ad night crowds at the All Stars. So avoid All Stars. Crowds manageable, weather great and loved the garden stuff at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter