Selling leftover Disney passes

eljojo

Mouseketeer
We have one day left on two adult and three kids park hopper passes from a few years ago. I was going to sell them on ebay as I've heard a lot of people do, but a friend told me this is illegal. Does anyone know anything about this policy? I doubt we'll get to Disney again since my kids are teenagers. Thanks for your help.`

You gave me a chuckle by saying that you doubt you'll get to Disney again since your kids are teenagers. I don't have any kids and turn 30 in 6 week, yet I go twice a year. ;)

To answer your question, all passes state they are non-transferable. I would take that to mean you cannot sell them. However apparently people do attempt to sell them. Personally I would never buy any partially used passes off of ebay because you have no way of knowing how many days are actually left on them until you get to Disney. I'm not saying you're dishonest and would try and cheat someone, but there are many dishonest people out there, and many decent priced reputable ticket holders. So I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how much luck you'll have selling them since I think a lot of people would be leery to purchase them from ebay.

just an fyi... disney will honor children's passes for children that have grown up! if the person was a child when the pass was issued, and is now a teen or even twenty-something, that same person can still use that pass...

it is illegal to sell them, but many do it and ebay allows it... i am surprised that there are buyers for these tix 'cause i, too, would be leery of any tickets i saw for sale on ebay because there is no checking the validity and it's very easy to get ripped off...

good luck in your decision!

They always seem to sell on ebay - I guess most sellers don't want to risk getting negative ebay feedback. But it is possible to get ripped off buying anything on ebay - my friend just spent $200 for a Playstation and games, and the seller seemed to disappear off the face of the earth! It's the chance you take, though the vast majority of people are honest.
I love Disney, too, but we're running out of years left with our kids at home and we want to see other places in this great country of ours, like the Grand Canyon, Hawaii, etc. And we can't afford to do more than one vacation a year.
But since I don't want to do anything wrong, so maybe I'll just save the tickets to take the grandkids years from now, lol. That will give me an excuse to go back!

save the tickets they will only go up in price and someday your kids might want to take their kids!

as far as only going with kids ..husband and i went alone for the first time last Jan and had more fun than we had when the kids were along..we could eat where we wanted, ride what we wanted and not worry what anyone else was up to.! somethings i missed just cause of nostalgia so it was different but we had a great time!

If you have a good rating on Ebay, I think you could sell them at a pretty good price. I do remember reading something about people not being able to sell them online if they lived in Florida, but I don't totally understand this. I would probably hold on to them, especially if your kids think they might want to go back in a few years--paying their own way, of course;)

Take a moment and mark the usage dates on the kid passes with a permanent fine point marker.

Child passes from different dates need to be kept separate so when given back to your children, the pass' usage is consistent with their ages.

Your children can keep their old passes and trade them in on an even exchange when THEY go any time in the future. Heads up on having your grandkids use them because it is possible for WDW to find out that the previous usage did not match the child's age.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Reselling partially-used multiday theme park tickets *is* against the law in Florida:

817.361 Resale of multiday or multievent ticket.--Whoever offers for sale, sells, or transfers in connection with a commercial transaction, with or without consideration, any nontransferable ticket or other nontransferable medium designed for admission to more than one amusement location or other facility offering entertainment to the general public, or for admission for more than 1 day thereto, after said ticket or other medium has been used at least once for admission, is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. A nontransferable ticket or other nontransferable medium is one on which is clearly printed the phrase: "Nontransferable; must be used by the same person on all days" or words of similar import. Upon conviction for a second or subsequent violation of this subsection, such person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

After all these years, I never knew that! I usually buy new passes for my kids who've aged past 9 and, needless to say, I have quite a few partially used kids passes that I will have to let them use next trip!

Are you totally sure about this?? :confused:

:earsgirl:

It is illegal to sell partially used tickets in Florida, and eBay does NOT allow it. You can try to post them on eBay, but don't be surprised if it gets removed very quickly. Even if you don't live in Florida, the ticket is for a venue located in Florida - so it is not allowed.
You can, however, sell full tickets (i.e. you have a 4 day park hopper and it has never been used)... but you cannot sell it for more the X% over the face value...etc...etc... It gets complicated - but if you go to eBay:Tickets... you will find everything spelled out for you.
Your best bet - keep them. They never expire, and you never know when you'll be back.

Originally posted by gigi1313
it is illegal to sell them, but many do it and ebay allows it... i am surprised that there are buyers for these tix 'cause i, too, would be leery of any tickets i saw for sale on ebay because there is no checking the validity and it's very easy to get ripped off...

good luck in your decision!

Ebay allows it because it is just a piece of paper or plastic or whatever that a buyer may consider a collectible. Now, the seller could list it as "A Walt Disney World Park Hopper ticket with 2 unused days". There's nothing illegal about selling that or buying that. Maybe I collect tickets from every year at Disney World for my scrapbook but don't make it down every year. What's illegal is using it.

Now, if the seller tries to sell it as something the buyer may be able to use to gain admission to a park, that is different. Read the listing carefully. Still, as a previous poster said, you have no way of telling by looking at a ticket if it really has unused days left on it.

I would suggest you try selling them locally to someone you know and who will trust you. Try relatives or friends. Maybe your work place or church has a bulletin board you could post a for sale notice.

wow, you learn something new every day on these boards! I have seen tons of items labeled 'park hopper passes with one day left" advertised on ebay. In fact, I have bid on them in the past when I was looking for tickets. And that is certainly great to hear that they can be used for kids who have outgrown the under age 9 ticket price! I may hold onto them - the only problem with that is that the last time we stayed at Disney, it was cheaper buying a package that included the UPH tickets since we used our Disney Visa with the Dream Maker. So if that is the norm, I'd never need just an extra day's ticket again. Thanks for all the input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter