• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sept/Oct Hilton Head advice needed

TiggersBuddy

Mouseketeer
Hi, we just returned from a week at WDW and we are planning our next Disney vacation. We actually feel like we need a vacation after our busy WDW vacation. My wife and I are in our 40's with no kids, and enjoy the outdoors. We're looking to try something more relaxing and laid back, without having to dodge crowds and strollers like we did last week (especially at MK) so we're considering the DVC resort on HH. I've stayed at Palmetto Dunes on a golf trip about 15 years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with the island and Savannah.

I was hoping someone could help answer these questions:

1. When is generally the least crowded Sun-Thurs to go in Sept or Oct?
2. Are there local area or resort activities, tours, etc. other than golf & tennis offered mid-week during this time of year.
3. What about Sun-Thurs availablity at the 7 month window in Sept/Oct?
4. How late in the season is the ocean swimmable without being a polar bear?

I've searched the threads in this forum, but would appreciate any input, advice or suggestions for a relaxing, but not boring 'couples' vacation at HHI. TIA

I can tell you that the CMs at the resort say that October is the best time to go to the resort. Pretty, best weather (still warm enough to swim). They still have all the resort activities going on, but understandably, a few get cancelled when no one shows up. However, they still go on if just one person is there. I got a personalized island tour, and my own tour of Pinckney Island. I don't have personnal experience simming at that time of year, but in November the pool is still heated even if the ocean is kind of chilly.

We LOVE fall at Hilton head. In fact we check in on Sunday for 5 nights. We book at 7 months, as we do not own at HHI, and have never had a problem getting a Sun-Thurs, but we do book it as soon as we can.

We have been 5-6 times in early to mid October and generally booked 1 or 2 BR at the 7 month mark. We really enjoy going at this time of year. The weather has usually been great. Kids have played in the ocean, but some years have been cooler ocean temps than others. This year we're going to Vero Beach instead and although I love VB, I can't help but think I'm really going to miss HH!

I was hoping someone could help answer these questions:

1. When is generally the least crowded Sun-Thurs to go in Sept or Oct?
2. Are there local area or resort activities, tours, etc. other than golf & tennis offered mid-week during this time of year.
3. What about Sun-Thurs availablity at the 7 month window in Sept/Oct?
4. How late in the season is the ocean swimmable without being a polar bear?

I've searched the threads in this forum, but would appreciate any input, advice or suggestions for a relaxing, but not boring 'couples' vacation at HHI. TIA

Labor Day weekend is the last "busy" time at HH. There is certainly more activity on weekends, but weekdays are pretty quiet. As Simba's Mom noted, the resort is still in full swing with activities so that would not be an issue. Restaurants are easily accessible and some start offering discounts not available during the busier months.

The resort itself is still well occupied during Sept/Oct and the Studios/1BRs go first. There are few school aged kids at the resort, but lots of adults (some with pre-school kids/grandkids). There should be reasonable availability at 7 months.

The ocean temps this summer have been a little cooler than usual. We have been to HH in June/July/August for years now with ocean temps in the mid 80's. This summer, during those same months the temps were generally in the upper 70's and the cooler temps seem to have kept the jellyfish away! :) When we left last week, the ocean was still 77. By mid October it may be in the low 70's.

I would suggest that early/mid Oct might be the best time to go if you'd enjoy a swim in the ocean. Air temps will still be in the upper 70's-low 80's with lots of activities available thru the resort and lots of other options nearby.

Enjoy! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter