• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September Trip.... Thoughts/Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to get worked up over these changes, I'll just be happy to leave the house.... and go somewhere. No point in being anxious over something I can't control.
Perfect attitude, couldn't agree more. We're due to go in Oct (and get married there) so are taking every day as it comes and if masks are still required, fireworks not taking place, no characters like there used to be then we're absolutely find with that x

We have a trip booked (not planned yet) for Nov/Dec 2020 (we had a trip planned for Nov/Dec 2019 and had to postpone a year due to my cancer diagnosis - all is fine now, thankfully), and I am totally on the fence about keeping it or postponing another year. I wear a mask now in my daily life, but I don't want to have to at Disney. I go to Disney to escape reality as much as possible, and to me, wearing a mask is too much reality. I don't mind spending the money on a Disney vacation, but not if there are so many restrictions that I'm not going to enjoy it.

I will be watching and seeing what is happening once the parks open back up. I think my 180 days is the end of May, but I'm totally not into trying to book dining reservations. I did all of this last year, and a month and a half before we were supposed to go we made the difficult (but right) decision to postpone. I've had a gut feeling since March (not necessarily due to COVID) that something was going to prevent us from going again this year, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I've looked at the numbers too and when taken into account with populations densities and how it has spread, the stay at home orders have massively reduced what would have been. There is almost no doubt about that unless you cherry pick individual numbers out of context and ignore all of the analysis from people who understand how this spreads. Masks will be around for a while and we'll almost certainly see some sort of 2nd spike whether it's in the fall or winter. And it doesn't take too many science deniers or those who feel a sense of entitlement to start the curve spiking right back up.

The only real issue in September is hurricane season and love bugs (which mate 2x a year in April & September. Everything else you will already be accustomed to.

Oh no! I've booked for end of September and totally forgot about the ruddy lovebugs with all the COVID stuff going on 😡🤦‍♀️ I'd better warn my travel companion who will have no idea what she's let herself in for!

Perfect attitude, couldn't agree more. We're due to go in Oct (and get married there) so are taking every day as it comes and if masks are still required, fireworks not taking place, no characters like there used to be then we're absolutely find with that x
For me travelling from UK, if fireworks are not happening,parades, character meets etc, it's not worthwhile me travelling such a long distance for only getting some of the Disney experience, especially as my travel companion has never been to Disney before and this will be her first trip.
Depends on the individual's situation. If I lived nearer I.e. Florida, I wouldn't be bothered and go anyway

I've looked at the numbers too and when taken into account with populations densities and how it has spread, the stay at home orders have massively reduced what would have been. There is almost no doubt about that unless you cherry pick individual numbers out of context and ignore all of the analysis from people who understand how this spreads. Masks will be around for a while and we'll almost certainly see some sort of 2nd spike whether it's in the fall or winter. And it doesn't take too many science deniers or those who feel a sense of entitlement to start the curve spiking right back up.

except there's data, that I posted in here, that showed there has been zero correlation in locking down. Showing almost all the states that didn't lockdown at all, fairing just as well at those that did

except there's data, that I posted in here, that showed there has been zero correlation in locking down. Showing almost all the states that didn't lockdown at all, fairing just as well at those that did

You're still ignoring the population density factor. The states that didn't lock down and had comparable numbers to those that did are considerably more spread out geographically.

You're still ignoring the population density factor. The states that didn't lock down and had comparable numbers to those that did are considerably more spread out geographically.

yes, i think it's obvious looking at everything that places that have confined/indoor spaces (NYC, prisons, nursing homes) are majority of where the infection rates. The problem is instead of addressing just those, we're making blanket policies for everywhere that doesn't need it.

For me travelling from UK, if fireworks are not happening,parades, character meets etc, it's not worthwhile me travelling such a long distance for only getting some of the Disney experience, especially as my travel companion has never been to Disney before and this will be her first trip.
Depends on the individual's situation. If I lived nearer I.e. Florida, I wouldn't be bothered and go anyway
I'm from the UK so it's a long way for me too but who knows when the restrictions will be lifted. Plus we have other things that we want to do in life so it's kinda a now or never thing. The only annoying thing now is that virgin Atlantic (who we're due to fly with) and delta have said they won't fly until at least August so that only gives us 2 months to pray everything works out 🤞🏻

I have a trip scheduled for September. I believe I will be cancelling it. I am using my DVC points and have to make a decision by end of July (so I can bank my points). I will be going with my Mom who is over 80 and I want to be sure things are safe before we go. I am not so concerned about wearing masks ---- I just don't feel like things will be that safe yet. I live in CA and we are still in lockdown. As much as I want to go back to Disneyland, I know when it reopens that I will be waiting a bit before I go.

There‘s most likely going to be a “hammer and dance” for a while, potentially for a year or so, although recent vaccine data looks good. Of course....there are many people that don’t believe in getting vaccines, either, but that’s a different issue. The hammer and dance means we open up, cases increase, we pull back, we open up, then pull back. The crowds at Disney and Universal will be a big test as to how crowds affect the pandemic. We might not “shut down” completely again, but there will be give and take for a while. And we’re going to have to accept uncertainly for awhile as well.

We have a trip for October, but even though WDW will probably be open, it looks like my daughter’s college will be canceling their fall break anyway, so chances are one of those two issues will keep us from going. Life goes on.

This is so NOT true since it's been in the 90's here in Florida many many days since March and almost always in upper 80's and it has spread like mad! 77 degrees has nothing to do with it or that would not have been possible.
Studies have shown this virus doesn't survive well in heat and humidity. It appears to be seasonal too. This is the reason experts expect a second wave later this year or early next.

This is so NOT true since it's been in the 90's here in Florida many many days since March and almost always in upper 80's and it has spread like mad! 77 degrees has nothing to do with it or that would not have been possible.
I've lived in NJ my whole life, but if it's been as hot as you say then I assume many indoor spaces have had their A/C on correct? This virus, like others, has greater transmission in indoor spaces. Air conditioned indoor spaces are cool and dry. So, essentially FL (and other hot states) creates a "winter like" environment in their indoor spaces. Viruses hang time in cool in dry air is much longer than hang time in hot and humid air. The longer the virus can stay airborne (hang time) the greater the chances someone will inhale it. Thats how that works. That's one of the reasons why colds and flu are much more common in winter months (in both hemispheres) than in summer months. So indoor, temperature/humidity controlled spaces are probably at the root of the spread in warm places, such as FL. As far as transmission goes, for our Sept trip, I'm way less concerned about outdoor spaces during FL heat and humidity than the air conditioned indoor spaces. Sunlight in outdoor spaces is also a factor that will work against the virus.

Last edited:
Schneewittchen37 said:
I'm not going to get worked up over these changes, I'll just be happy to leave the house.... and go somewhere. No point in being anxious over something I can't control.
--------------------------------------------------

I agree with you both. I am ready to go in Sept, and will roll with whatever changes there are. My situation is such that both of my parents have passed (so I don't have to worry about passing it on while caring for them), I'm traveling with my 3 very healthy young adult children and none of us has any risk factors associated with an adverse reaction to COVID 19. I'm an RN so they were all raised to be germ-aware from a young age. If I had small kids, rubbing their eyes or hands in mouth after touching a handrail or if any in my family had even one risk factor or if I was still caring for (and in close contact with) my aged parents, then my decision would most likely be different. That's why this is not a "one-size-fits-all" thing. Everyone has to weigh out their own comfort level based on their individual life situation.
Hope your wedding is magical!

Because I look at other data and now what the media chooses to tell you. If we shutdown again, we might as well just become a 3rd world country now. Already there's predictions 1 in 4 restaurants will close permanently. We shutdown again? It's game over.

It was just reported in Ohio, 80% of their deaths have come from nursing homes. That means roughly 450 people not in a nursing home have died from it (no idea how many of that were people over 65), out of a population 11.9 million.

you also have this

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-c...tments-for-oxfords-potential-new-vaccine.html
strange this hasn't been plastered everywhere on CNN, saying they could have 1 BILLION does of a vaccine by early 2021?

But yet, we've been led to believe we're all going to die since March. Remember when they were screaming Florida was going to become worse than New York and Italy? That never happened

All we heard in March was the purpose of this lockdown was not to let the hospitals get overwhelmed. 99% weren't even close. We succeeded in that goal. But now the goalposts have moved to, we're suppose to wait til a cure?!
Another shutdown remains to be seen, but the largest hospitals in this country with people far more educated with data we don’t have access to are gearing up and investing millions to be ready for a massive wave this fall. This is far from over. It’s not a liberal news thing it’s a reality thing.

I've rebooked from May to September as well and will probably still go. It will depend on what experiences/attractions are not available. I'm torn though, because we are taking my 86 year old mom, who wants to go one more time very badly. If she weren't going, I would reschedule again, but there are no guarantees at her age that her health would remain good enough for her to wait. Then again, will I be putting her at greater risk if we do go in September? This is hard. :(

I've lived in NJ my whole life, but if it's been as hot as you say then I assume many indoor spaces have had their A/C on correct? This virus, like others, has greater transmission in indoor spaces. Air conditioned indoor spaces are cool and dry. So, essentially FL (and other hot states) creates a "winter like" environment in their indoor spaces. Viruses hang time in cool in dry air is much longer than hang time in hot and humid air. The longer the virus can stay airborne (hang time) the greater the chances someone will inhale it. Thats how that works. That's one of the reasons why colds and flu are much more common in winter months (in both hemispheres) than in summer months. So indoor, temperature/humidity controlled spaces are probably at the root of the spread in warm places, such as FL. As far as transmission goes, for our Sept trip, I'm way less concerned about outdoor spaces during FL heat and humidity than the air conditioned indoor spaces. Sunlight in outdoor spaces is also a factor that will work against the virus.

While that's true, that also makes my response just as accurate as there's no way they are going to be able to take a trip to Disney and not enter any air conditioned areas. So the point was moot about high temps!

Studies have shown this virus doesn't survive well in heat and humidity. It appears to be seasonal too. This is the reason experts expect a second wave later this year or early next.

Like I said, regardless of the studies, if that were true, Florida would have almost no cases since it's been hot/humid here for over a month now. Yet, we still have large numbers.

As pointed out, A/C probably does not help with that. But since most hot places in the U.S. have air conditioning, heat won't help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter