September vs. November

TChrist05

DIS Veteran
Hello all...need your advice....we have cruised the last three years the week after Thanksgiving.....we have already booked the 11/29/03 sailing of the Magic....we were displaced from the 11/30 sailing this year.....but we also like to spend some time in Disney World after the cruise.....but....that makes it like 12 days away from home during the busiest time of the year getting ready for the holidays and all...so my wife and I are discussing changing our reservation to the 9/6/03 sailing of the Magic....same itinerary....but we have never cruised in September....could you guys who have give me some insight as to how it is then?
Thanks......Tom

Technically, September is the peak (Sept 9th to be exact) of hurricane season. Even with that being said, we always travel in September because of the crowds (read - lack therof). Most kids have just started school so many people are reluctant to take them out then and the "season" hasn't quite started down here yet. The weather (read above) can be some of the best of the year - temps on the mid 80s, lower humidity, etc.
So, there is a chance that they will re-route your cruise - this happened at least once (maybe twice?) this year but it's worth it to us for lower crowds (especially in the parks) & lower prices.

We're already planning on 9/6/03 also! We went on 9/29/02, and other than three days of LIGHT rain (sprinkles) the weather was nice if not a little hot. We had a great time, and not bad seas (even though we followed a storm out of St Thomas.)

Being the midst of huricane season though, be prepared for a mystery cruise!

GBG

My wife and I have cruised DCl the first week in Oct. 2000, first week in Nov. 2001 and just completed Dec. 7-14, 2002. We felt that the Oct. 2000 cruise was the warmest, but we skirted topical storms along the way (ended up in Key West, instead of St. Marteen).

Early September is hot, very hot!!!

Trust me.I live in South FL...

IMHO,b/c of the unbearable heat, as well as the very real possibility of missing at least one of your scheduled ports, unless you save lots of additional $$$ by booking Sept cruise, I would stick with your present booking...

Hurricane season is all summer long too! Don't forget about that. It doesn't stop people from cruising.

We were on the Wonder sept 15 and were lucky enough to have beautiful weather. The week before, at WDW we did have occasional storms, but somehow, we were always indoors or under cover when they happened. Kind of strange the way that worked, just entering the Land, just getting on the railroad, just sitting down to dinner at Boma (TWICE!!) when the skies opened up. What's the opposite of Murphy's Law? :)

Early September is a nice time to be in the World. Crowds are very low, the weather is nice for swimming, and even though the park hours are short, there is still time to see everything. We enjoyed our relaxing, non-park evenings.

Hurricane Season is officially from June 1 to November 30, but the peak of activity seems to be from mid-August to mid-October. And because September is so hot, I'd go with November.

Isn't the Magic entering Drydock for a couple weeks in mid-late Sept? If your scheduling would allow, I might want to consider taking that first cruise on a newly spiffed up ship! :D

How about October. We had absolutely perfect weather on the 10/19 Eastern, and it was hot in Orlando to boot.
Krista

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter